Author Topic: adjustable fall off for terrain texture brushes  (Read 407 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
adjustable fall off for terrain texture brushes
« on: October 13, 2018, 01:25:33 PM »
I would like to have an adjustable fall-off brush for painting terrain textures with. This would help blend two textures together a bit better than what's already provided.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: adjustable fall off for terrain texture brushes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2018, 11:13:48 PM »
I would like to have an adjustable fall-off brush for painting terrain textures with. This would help blend two textures together a bit better than what's already provided.

Do you mean for the ground textures?
If so, that is a function of two things. The builder's sequence in laying down the textures and the builder's use of the built-in blending function, that little check box on the terrain tab.

Beyond that, the texture sizes are the ruling visual issues.

The smaller 508 sizes cover the same territory as the 1016 textures, 4 sq miles. The 1016 size renders a single sq mile at 508 x 508 pixels or (5280 feet / 508 pixels) ~10 ft per pixel. Twice that, or ~21 feet per pixel for those 'smaller' tiles. At 21 ft per pixel, there are no roads or foot paths in the 'smaller' tile set.

The ground looks quite nice at the 10 ft per pixel rendering, except in VR of course.
If and when the average player's hardware can handle double those resolutions or ~5 ft per pixel again, the ground should look amazing.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: adjustable fall off for terrain texture brushes
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2018, 10:44:22 AM »
I went through the texture settings and tried the different blend settings (25,50,75,100%) and it seems that it still just over-writes the base texture by over laying. It would be nice to add an adjustable falloff to the edge of the brush for better blending (think of fading between two images).
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario