Author Topic: How is a non functioning throttle at log in helping new players?  (Read 4230 times)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
Re: How is a non functioning throttle at log in helping new players?
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2018, 12:19:21 PM »
I do it on real planes to check for any snags that might hang the throttle but only one cycle and only when I start cold a plane that has sat since the last time it was flown.

Not all aviation carbs have accelerator pumps but you don't want to pump an updraft carb that has one more than once.   

Of course, I have an A&P so I know the systems but that doesn't mean everybody shouldn't know the systems on everything they fly.

What you don't want is a hanging throttle so it's not a bad idea to "feel it's action" before starting a plane.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2018, 12:35:51 PM »
Cool icepac, I didn't know that you had your Airframes and Powerplants License

Learn something new everyday!

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
You need to fly more Fuel Injected Lycomings.
This is a very normal procedure for hot start. Bugger is getting the mixture feed in and throttle back timing so the engine keeps running. Many times is a fancy lever dance with both hands.

HiTech

I can see that happening I guess.   I'll have to take your word for it. 

Come to think of it, I think the 172SP and the like had some odd startup procedure compared to traditional 172 et al.    I remember the boost pump stuff, too.    I had forgotten some of that.   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 03:30:36 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2018, 01:00:19 PM »
I do it on real planes to check for any snags that might hang the throttle but only one cycle and only when I start cold a plane that has sat since the last time it was flown.

Not all aviation carbs have accelerator pumps but you don't want to pump an updraft carb that has one more than once.   

Of course, I have an A&P so I know the systems but that doesn't mean everybody shouldn't know the systems on everything they fly.

What you don't want is a hanging throttle so it's not a bad idea to "feel it's action" before starting a plane.

We used to pump the throttle more than once in certain instances during start primarily because of the accelerator pump.   It's situation dependent like anything.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2018, 01:16:56 PM »
Come to think of it, I think the 172SP and the like had some odd startup procedure compared to traditional 172 et al.   

Only time I've started an SP with the throttle advanced all the way was when I'd already flooded it.

- oldman

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #50 on: October 17, 2018, 02:17:17 PM »
You all know I did not say it was a big deal right?  But to a new player is could and probably is very confusing and that is why I titled the thread as such.
:aok YUP! I didnt read your post that way(sky is falling over this). It could be an issue, i guess. When I am new to stuff...I fidget with every control...thus no issue for ME :rofl Then again..I am weird like that, and some others arent, so... :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 17, 2018, 03:29:36 PM »

Only time I've started an SP with the throttle advanced all the way was when I'd already flooded it.

- oldman

Well there you go.   Lol. 

I've certainly never done it to my recollection that's for sure, but I do recall the newer Cessna piston airplanes (172R/SP, 206H) being a much different animal to start.    The only thing I remember clearly was turning on the fuel pump until the needle jumped then turning it back off.  If you left it on too long it wouldn’t start worth a darn.  I think you also cranked with mixture at cutoff until it chuffed then advanced the mixture slowly until it caught.   Whatever it was, the procedure always seemed a bit Byzantine.   I obviously got used to it I guess but...

Only way I could tell you anything else is to dig up my old checklist for it.    Same with 206, 310, 340, 414, 421, PA-44, A36, BE58, etc.    I can still start the 150/152 and older generation 172s in my sleep--they're so straightforward.   Tommahawk, too.    Anything else other than an EMB-145 series I will have to remind myself.     

I got to start a P-47 once (closely supervised).   That was something.   I remember the sound, smell, and vibration like it was yesterday, but not much else.   Big-motor T-28 also.    Rattled my teeth lose on takeoff (I was along for the ride).   
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 05:09:24 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 17, 2018, 03:32:13 PM »
I just wanted to note; the air start throttle issue I mentioned earlier was mis-identified.  A different cause, maybe, maybe not a bug. 
Documented: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,394939.0.html

:salute,
CptTrips
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.