Author Topic: O2 damage to Reduce altitude  (Read 4669 times)

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
O2 damage to Reduce altitude
« on: November 02, 2018, 10:04:09 AM »
Just a thought, with the stratospheric bombers lately, why not have a potential damage to the Hi altitude aircraft's oxygen system to force it to a lower altitude?
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: O2 damage to Reduce altitude
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 10:21:57 AM »
Just a thought, with the stratospheric bombers lately, why not have a potential damage to the Hi altitude aircraft's oxygen system to force it to a lower altitude?

should be for all aircraft not just bombers and it's not just for super high alt but anything over 12.5k ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 10:39:21 AM »

should be for all aircraft not just bombers and it's not just for super high alt but anything over 12.5k ft.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.  :aok
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Zimme83

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 11:52:08 AM »

There are several oxygen bottles in different places in a bomber so it would be very hard to destroy them. It would be like a PW or a kill on a gunner, you can kill one or a few of the crew members but it wont affect the performance of the plane. In any case it would be just as easy to kill the pilot by shooting him rather than hit his oxygen tank.
''The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge'' - Stephen Hawking

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 12:52:18 PM »
Why not create a master list of everything you want Hitech to change in his game.

1. - force everyone to stay below 15k.
2. - not vulch runways.
3. - get in line to wait for 1v1 no matter how huge the hoard vs 1.
4. - get rid of auto ack and manned ack.
5. - increase icon range for GVs.
6. - remove squirrlyness of fighters and make easier to hit and make the MK108 a slow lazer beam again.
7. - return all fighters to their pre La7 dumb down states while dumbing down the Yak3, magic brewster and A6m.
8. - give the IL2 back F3.
9. - get rid of wirbles, even GV's in general.
10. - get rid of town resupply by vehical.
11. - code complex limitation algorithms to keep customers from doing anything clever in their own personal interests.
12. - code punishments for customers who are more motivated to be successful at pushing the limits of the game to succeed.   
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 01:00:24 PM »
Why not create a master list of everything you want Hitech to change in his game.

1. - force everyone to stay below 15k.
2. - not vulch runways.
3. - get in line to wait for 1v1 no matter how huge the hoard vs 1.
4. - get rid of auto ack and manned ack.
5. - increase icon range for GVs.
6. - remove squirrlyness of fighters and make easier to hit and make the MK108 a slow lazer beam again.
7. - return all fighters to their pre La7 dumb down states while dumbing down the Yak3, magic brewster and A6m.
8. - give the IL2 back F3.
9. - get rid of wirbles, even GV's in general.
10. - get rid of town resupply by vehical.
11. - code complex limitation algorithms to keep customers from doing anything clever in their own personal interests.
12. - code punishments for customers who are more motivated to be successful at pushing the limits of the game to succeed.   

Dang Bustr didn't realize this would flip your switch. Go back to your closet and meditate again. :rolleyes:
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 01:21:26 PM »
There are several oxygen bottles in different places in a bomber so it would be very hard to destroy them. It would be like a PW or a kill on a gunner, you can kill one or a few of the crew members but it wont affect the performance of the plane. In any case it would be just as easy to kill the pilot by shooting him rather than hit his oxygen tank.

There are planes with multiple radiators for a single engine(109's and SpitIX,VIII,XIV,XVI) In reality, the pilots could isolate a damaged radiator and continue operating without completely running out of coolant. In AH, a single hit to the cooling system takes out the entire thing. So there is precedent for complex systems with single-point failures in AH.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 01:54:36 PM »
There are planes with multiple radiators for a single engine(109's and SpitIX,VIII,XIV,XVI) In reality, the pilots could isolate a damaged radiator and continue operating without completely running out of coolant. In AH, a single hit to the cooling system takes out the entire thing. So there is precedent for complex systems with single-point failures in AH.

Or alternately, improve the DM to take those designs into account.  :devil

If they implemented O2, I think they'd also need to get rid of autopilot when you're blacked out, which would certainly make blacking out from pilot wounds a much more significant problem.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline lunatic1

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2018, 02:36:31 PM »
Bustr is right, seems like no one wants to work for a kill-they want it easy-peasy
, i have responded to a few of those listed^.
C.O. of the 173rd Guardian Angels---Don't fire until you can see the whites of their eyes...Major devereux(The Battle Of Wake Island-1941.
R.I.P.49GRIN/GRIN-R.I.P. WWHISKEY R.I.P WIZZY R.I.P.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2018, 02:42:09 PM »
Well, it would basically function as a slightly modified pilot wound, right?  You'd pass out until you lost enough alt.  It would likely spell death fairly often in something that compresses like a 38 or 262.  Regardless, you'd still have to get up to the guy to do the damage.

More DM fidelity is a good thing in my world.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2018, 04:24:07 PM »
I just find it funny that the first two posters in this thread are from the guys that have said the rest of us are trying to force other to play the way we want them to, and yet here they are making a suggestions to force players not to always fly so high.   :devil

But I agree, anything the causes more conflict in the game is a GOOD thing. If players dont want conflict/combat they might as well save themselves $15 a month and just fly the missions or run the training arena off line.

Offline BuckShot

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2018, 04:42:47 PM »
Funny how some think that wishes always have alternative motive like 'make is easier' or 'maker it harder for type x players.' I immediately had the simple thought, cool wish!

I like this wish for the sake of realism. In Fighter Ace you had to turn on o2 at alt. Folks would just turn it on when taking off and forget about it. This would better than that.

If you got o2 supply damage up high the pilot wound counter could start...black out to many times at alt without o2 and die of hypoxia.

Maybe we could have (2) o2 damage zones for bombers, one for the pilots and another for the rest of the crew.
Game handle: HellBuck

Offline ccvi

• Gold Member
      • http://www.carl-eike-hofmeister.de/
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2018, 04:49:57 PM »

Just because current regulations require use of oxygen at a precisely defined altitude it is not the case that the human body suddenly starts not functioning at all above that arbitrarily choose threshold. Simulated abilities (max stick forces, ability to sustain gees) may start to decrease slowly at that point though.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2018, 05:25:38 PM »
Just because current regulations require use of oxygen at a precisely defined altitude it is not the case that the human body suddenly starts not functioning at all above that arbitrarily choose threshold. Simulated abilities (max stick forces, ability to sustain gees) may start to decrease slowly at that point though.

That would be interesting in terms of gameplay as would the same thing applying to PWs.  Based on a lot of other gameplay decisions they've made, I don't think HTC likes the idea of damage impacting performance.  To me it would add so much to gameplay, but they seem to feel differently.

I've often theorized pulling G's has a chance to make you black out when you're PW'ed, and I am utterly convinced no matter what anybody says that there is some code that makes it a very high chance for you to black out when you're within a mile from the end of the runway on final.

Wiley.

JG11

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2018, 05:51:28 PM »
Agree with  Wiley on both accounts. It seems that 90% of the time I'm landing pw'd, I black out and usually end up crashing.