Author Topic: New to VR  (Read 2704 times)

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
Re: New to VR
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2018, 05:07:15 AM »
Thanks Bizman. That worked.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2018, 06:59:55 AM »
 :aok
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2018, 03:39:21 PM »
Sorry Fugi, I just figured you had missed that. Must have been the "Where do I put sensors", as set up "Shows" where. One fix....forget where I saw it, Oculus forum maybe...said sometimes having one sensor/usb3 and other usb2 works around that issue. Unless you play other..FULL ROOM games, I find just 1 sensor works absolutely fine. I didnt even set up my second sensor after I moved. Not enough space for "Full Room" games so didnt need it. Its 3 ft on edge of my desk,45 degrees from center. Oh, biggest tracking effect/fix is the "Center Height" on sensor set up, since you will be seated..around 3' 6" ish. If you plan on using the Oculu Touch controlers though, using 2 sensors is almost a must  :salute
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: December 28, 2018, 07:32:15 PM »
I got an Oculus for Christmas.  My question is in the placement of the sensors. I  built myself a corner desk some time ago. They say to place them 6 feet apart. Well on a corner desk 6 feet apart also means 3 feet closer to where I sit.

Should I have them further apart or less because I'm close?

Should I have them pointing at me/ converging at my seat, or pointing parallel to each other past me?

The first day they worked great,  but the next day I got an error that one of my sensors had a weak connection to the headset. Any help would be great.
Fugi. I ordered wall mounts for mine and works great. I use a flight sim chair so that was my only option. They were cheap also.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2018, 12:47:42 PM »
OK, heres what I did. I made my own mount out of cardboard and mounted the sensors to the back of my extra monitors. With them on the "stands" that they come with I think the view was partially blocked due to the FOV of the camera being set back a couple of inches from the front. Even with more height it would give me the error. Now with the sensors face mounted just forward of the front edge of the monitor (see in red circles on picture) I have no issues.

NEW QUESTION!

How do I move the clipboard? It opens about 8 inches in front of my nose and makes it hard to guide that little "mouse ball" around.

Also, when setting up a "centering" button, do you do that in AH, or Oculus?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #20 on: December 30, 2018, 02:21:41 PM »
The sensors have a std 1/4 20 camera mount so it's easy to get something to hold them on top of the monitors.

I mapped mouse button presses to a hat on the stick. That makes menus etc easier. My center button is set in AH.

The resize -+ on the clipboard move the clipboard with one button, resize the map with the other.

Offline BTPommyB

• Zinc Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 08:29:06 AM »
Vive Pro Experience

Resolution is awful, and my 1080ti graphics  card just gives up  occasionally (frustrating  when carrying kills). Flying in the dark is impossible as you can only  see icons not planes, so  I just log for a while.

Not  being able to see the keyboard is an  issue too. Everything has to be mapped to controllers and messaging is not possible.

Despite the buggyness and poor visibility, the immersiveness is stunning. I will live with the problems and look forward to hardware and software improvements.

VR is the future.

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2019, 09:45:47 PM »
Vive Pro Experience
Not  being able to see the keyboard is an  issue too. Everything has to be mapped to controllers and messaging is not possible.

I find this part frustrating too, sometimes just pull off my headset briefly to type.   As I recall 1stpar found a better solution, and uses software called Voice Attack to speak commands.  You may want to check it out.  I have most things mapped to my throttle and joystick so have been getting by well enough without so far.  But all things considered I love VR!

Offline Pluto

• Copper Member
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2019, 01:14:37 AM »
I find this part frustrating too, sometimes just pull off my headset briefly to type.   As I recall 1stpar found a better solution, and uses software called Voice Attack to speak commands.  You may want to check it out.  I have most things mapped to my throttle and joystick so have been getting by well enough without so far.  But all things considered I love VR!

Voice attack is great for commands you would normally map to your joystick or macros, but as far as typing messages not so much, unless its some generic message.  It is very useful in bombers for switching positions, planes, etc. I also have it mapped to do a complete calibration by saying "calibrate". A lot less stuff to fumble with.
There is alot more you can do with it but it way over my skill set

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2019, 02:06:59 AM »
 :aok Yup...I love Voice Attack for alot of the "joystick mapped" comands! ONE BIG tip....go through the windows voice recognition program. That way you can get "salvo 6" but it recognized "Solve sex". My hill billy Yiddish must be hard to understand :uhoh
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline GrandpaChaps

• Copper Member
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2019, 12:58:56 PM »

For those of us who learned to type on a typewriter back in the day, this isn't a problem!  lol

Although, I have not ventured to the VR world yet.  Waiting for costs to come down and technology to mature.
Uncle Fred

Offline DaddyAce

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2019, 01:51:08 PM »
For those of us who learned to type on a typewriter back in the day, this isn't a problem!  lol

I barely passed typing in high school, 'twas never a strong point for me....

I too was waiting for the tech to mature until my son bought me a Rift.  Now I'm happy he pushed me "over the edge".

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2019, 06:36:28 PM »
Got one of my boys a cheap Dell Visor - the inside-out tracking works surprisingly well.