Author Topic: Problem !! Please help the computer stupid  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
Problem !! Please help the computer stupid
« on: December 14, 2018, 09:28:37 PM »
Hello I need Help

Last weekend when I was trying to qualify for a TOC invite my computer started to do all kinda of crap. The Game itself would shut down and rest to the point where I could not boot anything anymore and it fired my hard drive. My Pc is is over 10 yrs old same psu as when I built it from the shop. Santa heard I was in bad shape about a hard drive and had it drop shipped to my local store. Since a Fresh install of Windows10 pro and a fresh down load of the one and Only True WW2 game I love for the last so many years. I was like great new hd fresh install of Aces I am good to go,,,,,,, Wrong!!!!!! when I go to log in and get to the screen to select my Comedy show of the evening Melee :) before it even sends me to the Tower my pc shuts down and restarts out of the blue, the same issue I had last weekend. I have been trying to do my research on what could cause this and it is leaning towards a slowly dying PSU. Ok I got this I save everything from when my times were good and working, What I thought I had was a semi good thermal tek 600wt psu sitting under my desk I took out my current psu and hooked everything up all's I got from this was fans blowing nothing else and I even took photo's of how my current rig was before I took out old PSU (once again not a computer wiz) so when this power supply did not send anything I went back to my old psu and once Again game starts loads and main menu to select an arena and bamo same thing shuts down restarts no blue screens like the old hard drive but this does the same thing when I try offline......... I am wondering if A: my psu is slowly dying since it is over 10 yrs old and from original build a 600wter and everything I have seen on the net and dumbtube it is leading to my psu. I am asking the Pros of the game and All knowing PC knowledge more then me for some help. Attached is my dx file thing that you all here know more then I do,,, I have a role here now and I can not let fellow players down that have helped me I came back with what I know to contribute to Our Game and that was to help out again with the CM Team so I am putting out the Ol Crap help me call to pinpoint this issue so I do not fry something else.

I wanna thank everyone in advance for their knowledge and help and all the Santa's in our Great Big Family that helped me come back and who have helped me with current hardware issues.

<S>
Crazyman/Molsman/ real Name Larry ( not to confuse you with the player Larry here )
Molsman, Crazy8s , Crazyman
JG11, DerWanderZirkus, -The Flying Clowns-

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Problem !! Please help the computer stupid
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 11:24:13 PM »
looking at your DXDIAG report you attached, the first thing that stands out to me is the page file....it is showing

Page File: 5084MB used, 4927MB available

might this be causing your issues, since just at desktop, you are using more page file space than you have allotted/available?

that just doesn't look right to me, especially if you are running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS!

Edit: just went through your complete DXDIAG Report all the way down to the Windows ERROR Reporting Service and noticed you have some problems....

are you using the sound on your monitor / TV? since you are connecting your Graphics card via  HDMI? if not, you need to disable the Graphics card audio driver

you definitely need to bump up the size of your pagefile available space to around probably at least 16,384 MB's since you are using windows 10

Hope this helps

TC
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 12:08:25 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 12:06:40 AM »
Hi Molsman,

You might try looking at your vid card to see if the cooling fans are spinning and\or if the cooler is dirty...may need cleaning out. When you start the game the game is using 2D graphics until after you select an arena, then the game switches to using full 3D graphics which will load up your vid card & PSU. The AMD Radeon R7 370 uses 1 6-pin PCI-E power connector from your PSU in addition to drawing power thru the mobo PCI-E slot so your PSU could very well be breaking down across the PCI-E rails or the vid card is getting either overheated or is going bad as well. You might also try reseating the vid card in the current slot or move it to another x16 PCI-E slot to see if the mobo may be involved...………..

If you have a known working spare vid card to throw in to test this then should give you some more inference as to what's what, but please be aware that you'd be rolling the dice each time you reboot until the actual issue is isolated......so if this were me I'd replace that PSU w\ a new unit to eliminate this part since that PSU is known to be 10+ yrs old & is the MAIN part of importance then go from there.

But that will be up to you to decide.

That is, if the plan is to continue using this computer...………

I myself recently went thru some similar issues w\ my box & ended up replacing the PSU w\ a new unit to resolve them. My old PSU had been in service for over 6 yrs & had gone thru 3 full system upgrades powering some pretty power-hungry vid cards (AMD Radeon R9 290X, AMD R9 Fury X and AMD Radeon RX Vega 64) but when they go they usually give little to no warning so count yourself blessed that you've only lost a HDD thus far.

So I do feel your pain...…………..

Hope this helps you out.
Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2018, 02:33:14 AM »
So you've reinstalled Windows 10? Did you also install the motherboard drivers? There's many system devices in your DxDiag that say n/a for the driver. I wonder if those show with a yellow triangle in your Device Manager.

Since your PC is a decade old, the motherboard manufacturer most likely doesn't provide Win10 drivers for it. In that case at the very least right click every instance in the Device Manager/System Devices and check for updates, letting Windows search for them. Although that's not the optimal solution, any drivers are better than no drivers.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2018, 07:35:12 AM »
Bizman hit on it.

There are no native sound card drivers installed.
There are no native motherboard drivers installed.

Those are big.  Basically you are running in "safe mode".  In that mode many things may not function correctly.

The reboot issue sounds like power supply.  Then again, you did say the previous hard drive fried.  That could also be due to a motherboard failure of the voltage regulator or some other nearby component.  10 year old motherboard could have a blown capacitor, or two.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2018, 09:26:40 AM »
Bizman hit on it.

There are no native sound card drivers installed.
There are no native motherboard drivers installed.

Those are big.  Basically you are running in "safe mode".  In that mode many things may not function correctly.

The reboot issue sounds like power supply.  Then again, you did say the previous hard drive fried.  That could also be due to a motherboard failure of the voltage regulator or some other nearby component.  10 year old motherboard could have a blown capacitor, or two.

I believe he is back up and running.... power supply.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2018, 10:44:34 AM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions on this issue , I will double check everything and I know I have some more drivers to install but for now I am back on the decade old PSU for now til I can replace that in the future. So I am taking baby steps until I know that everything is up and running to par.

Larry

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2018, 04:45:28 PM »
looking at your DXDIAG report you attached, the first thing that stands out to me is the page file....it is showing

Page File: 5084MB used, 4927MB available

might this be causing your issues, since just at desktop, you are using more page file space than you have allotted/available?

that just doesn't look right to me, especially if you are running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit OS!

Edit: just went through your complete DXDIAG Report all the way down to the Windows ERROR Reporting Service and noticed you have some problems....

are you using the sound on your monitor / TV? since you are connecting your Graphics card via  HDMI? if not, you need to disable the Graphics card audio driver

you definitely need to bump up the size of your pagefile available space to around probably at least 16,384 MB's since you are using windows 10

Hope this helps

TC

How do I bump page file space?

I use a usb headset and my monitor/tv is hooked via the hdmi cable but the headset itself is hooked into my power hub.

updated dx report attached I do not have any exclamation triangles noted anywhere in my device manager now
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 04:54:14 PM by Molsman »

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2018, 06:40:14 PM »
Thank you everyone for the suggestions on this issue , I will double check everything and I know I have some more drivers to install but for now I am back on the decade old PSU for now til I can replace that in the future. So I am taking baby steps until I know that everything is up and running to par.

Larry

If your power supply dies, I have a Corsair TX750W from my last computer that is in good working order. 
You would have to look up the specs to be sure it would work with your system, but I'd trade it for a quality 6 pack.  :cheers:
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2018, 05:00:55 AM »
There's still a bunch of System Devices with n/a for driver information:

Name: PCI standard host CPU bridge
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1601&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&C1
   Driver: n/a

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1604&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&C4

Name: AMD SMBus
Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_4385&SUBSYS_43851002&REV_42\3&267A616A&0&A0

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1602&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&C2

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_5A14&SUBSYS_5A141002&REV_02\3&267A616A&0&00

Device ID: PCI\VEN_1022&DEV_1605&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_00\3&267A616A&0&C5

Try updating those at least using the drivers Windows can find.

The primary method for reducing used page file is to restart the computer. That's something you may want to do before each and every gaming session to free resources! Streamlining your background processes is a one-time cure which you should also do. At least uninstall every Windows Store APP you don't use which means most of them. There's a bunch of them in the Start menu, some of them uninstall by right clicking and some don't. Those that don't will lead you to the Store if you click them. Just remove them, also go to Settings>Personalization>Start and turn off Suggestions. There's much more, hopefully you ended your fresh install by disabling all of the seven suggestions about gathering information about you. If not, the settings are spread all over the place. This might help, although the newer versions may have changed the locations for some of the settings: https://windows.gadgethacks.com/how-to/everything-you-need-disable-windows-10-0163552/. Also study Skuzzy's Hints and Tips for any applicable settings: https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.0.html.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2018, 11:34:01 AM »
On my way home now, Larry..

When I get there, I'll  give you a call

TC / Johnny
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline Molsman

• Aces High CM Retired
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2018, 11:42:44 AM »
Thank you Again Bz

Johnny I have my inlaws over so wont be doing much til later today early evening

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2018, 11:47:22 AM »
Thank you Again Bz

Johnny I have my inlaws over so wont be doing much til later today early evening

Rgr that...on to "Second Hand News"

J