Author Topic: What we have been up to.  (Read 29717 times)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Re: What we have been up to.
« Reply #60 on: December 12, 2018, 06:34:49 PM »
Congrats on the new product.

Question: Might this game be ported for use on Oculus' new standalone unit, the Quest (which will be available in Spring 2019)?

Reasoning: The Quest will be priced the same as the current Rift ($399, with Touch controllers included, no tracking cameras needed).  It will untethered, fully moblie, and do inside-out, 6-dof tracking,  including of its controllers.  Quest will use the SnapDragon 835 mobile chip, which combines CPU/GPU elements.  It's expected to be a more mainstream-marketable VR hmd.  But... the Snapdragon won't be capable of running the latest, very high-end VR games because of that architecture--and presumably that precludes it from running higher-end flight sims like IL-2, DCS and possibly WT.

If War Online: Pacific runs on the current AH graphics engine, its graphical requirements may possibly (?) make it a candidate for porting to this less powerful SnapDragon-based Quest, opening up yet another user market for HTC.  I don't know if that is possible; but this article provides some clues about its comparison to PC cpu's/gpu's: https://www.pcgamer.com/qualcomms-snapdragon-835-prepares-for-battle-with-intel-and-amd-on-pc/

FWIW,

The Quest is basically an Android based device. So no directx. And I think the Snapdragon competes with integrated CPU/GPUs, not GPUs like your latest Nvida chips.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #61 on: December 12, 2018, 06:36:45 PM »
I can not think of any reason why they would change there API for the new unit. So it should run with the exiting engine.

HiTech

Quest is nothing like the Rift. It's Android based. Where it WILL be cool is full room VR games - it's an all in one unit, no cables. So you could use your garage or a big room to do standalone multiplayer zombie shooters for example. But the graphics will be limited by the device horsepower, cooling, and battery life.

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: December 12, 2018, 06:47:36 PM »
Thanks Hitech and HTC! 

Will there be heavy bombers and GVs?

« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 06:52:04 PM by BBQsam »
"I have really only one simple rule,
Give more to the game than you take away."
Zoney  December 23, 2009  ahbbs
--------------------------------------------------
<Salute> Pipz    September 27, 2017   RIP

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #63 on: December 12, 2018, 07:05:01 PM »

Offline nomad45

• Zinc Member
« Reply #64 on: December 12, 2018, 09:23:42 PM »
Any concern this will gut the main arena? I feel we still haven't quite bounced back from Aces High 2 conversion (BTW I like Aces High 3 and its VR support way more! =-))  So I am excited to see this!  But I am concerned that all of us paying members might lose out without anyone to fight as too many will be playing free to play version.  What do you expect too see in regards to that HiTech?  :airplane:

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #65 on: December 12, 2018, 11:22:49 PM »
Any concern this will gut the main arena? I feel we still haven't quite bounced back from Aces High 2 conversion (BTW I like Aces High 3 and its VR support way more! =-))  So I am excited to see this!  But I am concerned that all of us paying members might lose out without anyone to fight as too many will be playing free to play version.  What do you expect too see in regards to that HiTech?  :airplane:

It is not really free. That is a word that newer games use to fleece the unwary.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: December 13, 2018, 06:45:57 AM »
I would have imagined that creating a Free 2 Play Arena would have been an easier endeavor than creating a whole new title.

That way it keeps it in the realm of AH3 and customers can log in and see the Melee and SEA. Just my 2 bits anyway. I'll be following along initially and will certainly try it out eventually.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 13, 2018, 06:58:23 AM »
I would have imagined that creating a Free 2 Play Arena would have been an easier endeavor than creating a whole new title

My guess is that new game will be set up much different than AH's melee arenas in terms of gameplay.
Remember the Steam experience, the tens of thousands of interested players didn't even used up their 2 weeks free MA access, most of them left after mere minutes. I don't see just adding a free 2 play arena changing that (especially as there are several f2p areas in AH already)
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #68 on: December 13, 2018, 08:29:27 AM »

None at all. WOP is not geared to existing players. Runways don't even exist.
HiTech

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #69 on: December 13, 2018, 08:30:07 AM »
I would have imagined that creating a Free 2 Play Arena would have been an easier endeavor than creating a whole new title.

That way it keeps it in the realm of AH3 and customers can log in and see the Melee and SEA. Just my 2 bits anyway. I'll be following along initially and will certainly try it out eventually.

We all ready have multiple fee arenas.

HiTech

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #70 on: December 13, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
None at all. WOP is not geared to existing players. Runways don't even exist.
HiTech

Grass fields! Cool!  :D :old:

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #71 on: December 13, 2018, 10:04:49 AM »
If accounts will be tied between the two, can it operate such that those with AH subs can have "premium" to garner more points? Conversely if you sell "premium" in this game, they also get full access to this other game, Aces High.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline BBQsam

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: December 13, 2018, 12:54:42 PM »
If accounts will be tied between the two, can it operate such that those with AH subs can have "premium" to garner more points? Conversely if you sell "premium" in this game, they also get full access to this other game, Aces High.

"ACCESS HIGH"     thats what I will need.

:D

or

AATH       Access All The Highs   ?

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
« Reply #73 on: December 13, 2018, 02:29:41 PM »

No.

HiTech

Offline Mongoose

• Silver Member
      • Kentwood Station
« Reply #74 on: December 13, 2018, 02:37:01 PM »
What will be the draw to get people from War Online to here?  Will it just something like "Check out our other game"?  Or will there be something a little more solid?

I will not be able to look for myself until next week at the earliest.
My Aces High fan site:
www.kentwoodstation.com