Author Topic: What we have been up to.  (Read 30110 times)

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
Re: What we have been up to.
« Reply #150 on: December 18, 2018, 06:15:52 PM »
Fortnite has a communal game for groups who like contributing to a less ego bruising group effort and a KOTH game for ego bruisers. Capture the sheep is a communal game once you start jailing players planes with the He111 over watch or a jeep at the sheep pen. Or have the GV's been disabled along with bombers these days. Sheep stealing is a very cooperative game unless you like being jailed while two or three guys steal all your sheep unopposed. It does not work very well as a 1v1 dueling game either since it only takes one random ping to jail you and you need a countryman shooting you to free you. Everyone gets randomly pinged no matter how good they are in steal the sheep. One side wins but, it's not an ego bruiser like KOTH type of games since no one gets shot down from fights in steal the sheep. You cooperatively steal sheep to win.
Have you honestly ever played fortnite before? How is fortnite a game that’s classified as cooperative? It’s a battle royal, fight to the finish, last man standing wins. Everyone is out to kill each other. There is a Duo and Squad mode (4 player max size). The squad mode is the closest thing to “cooperative” gameplay as you will get and even then it’s not much.

Fortnite has muchhh more ego bruising going on over Aces High. Every fortnite Friday, every scrim match, every big payout tournament there was extreme butt hurt going around. Now the big butt hurt is from people not getting invites for lack of points made during pop up cup series matches.

Like junky said, KOTH was the closest thing you can compare AH and Fortnite together.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #151 on: December 18, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Meh.  I think F3 is reasonable.  I have always thought it would be a good compromise for the awkward, goof 1980's key based, or joystick hat view systems.  That isn't realistic either and a lot more restrictive than you'd have in real life being able to turn your head in more than set angles continuously including looking out of the corner of your eye.  Of course, VR is the real solution.  :lol

First thing:  CptTrips, I'm ready for another go in the MPA against you LOL.... I've reviewed the film, and your "space truckin" zero won't be able to climb my six at 300 mph next time...hahaha

Second: most all of us that has been here longer than six months should have no worries if all is available to anyone new players flying in the new game Online War: Pacific! even if the new players have all crutches available!

My thoughts

TC
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 06:35:32 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #152 on: December 18, 2018, 06:52:18 PM »
First thing:  CptTrips, I'm ready for another go in the MPA against you LOL.... I've reviewed the film, and your "space truckin" zero won't be able to climb my six at 300 mph next time...hahaha

Heh. That was fun if somewhat ego bruising to realize how much I've forgotten about flying over a 10 year break.   I did buy a new joystick for the first time in 15 years.  It's has lots of buttons I need to configure so I can do everything without having to use the keyboard so I can keep my VR goggle on.  Also need to figure out why I could get the Vive mic working so we could talk. It works in my other games.  :frown:  I'll get that all sorted after the new year and then you can give me another shot at the title.  :) 

I don't even think F3 is that much of an advantage.  No more of an advantage than someone who has VR over some one who has to use the keyboard.  I think if some players are allowed VR, certainly non-VR players should have F3 if they find it helpful.

:cheers:,
CptTrips

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:20:49 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #153 on: December 18, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »
Heh. That was fun if somewhat ego bruising to realize how much I've forgotten about flying over a 10 year break.   I did buy a new joystick for the first time in 15 years.  It's has lots of buttons I need to configure so I can do everything without having to use the keyboard so I can keep my VR goggle on.  Also need to figure out why I could get the Vive mic working so we could talk. It works in my other games.  :frown:  I'll get that all sorted after the new year and then you can give me another shot at the title.  :) 

I don't even think F3 is that much of an advantage.  No more of an advantage than someone who has VR over some one who has to use the keyboard.  I think if some players are allowed VR, certainly non-VR players should have F3 if they find it helpful.

:cheers:,
CptTrips

I was offering you another shot,  LOL....

I was way beyond drunk, I may need to go re-watch my films......

I'm not able to use VR until I go thru  at least 6 surgires if  not 9 or 11 on my spine....

I am stuck using the same mappings of my CH  hotas set I been using since 1995.....

:cheers:

TC
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 07:36:38 PM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #154 on: December 18, 2018, 07:38:48 PM »
I agree that all new players should have F3 mode at least

Offline Rich46yo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #155 on: December 19, 2018, 03:56:37 PM »
Actually I kinda like this idea. I still have my hardware and since retiring have been spending a lot of time studying the Pacific side of things. Ive read as many books written by the Japanese side as I can find.
"flying the aircraft of the Red Star"

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #156 on: December 19, 2018, 04:00:09 PM »
Actually I kinda like this idea. I still have my hardware and since retiring have been spending a lot of time studying the Pacific side of things. Ive read as many books written by the Japanese side as I can find.

You read Japanese?

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #157 on: December 20, 2018, 03:10:05 PM »
I've never found the AH KOTH event to be an "ego bruising" type event

Just saying

TC
He doesn't know what he's talking about because he's never played KOTH and he doesn't know what Fortnite is....I can almost guarantee the only reason Why he brought up Fortnite is because HTC mentioned EPIC games who made Fortnite.

Only time ego was a thing in KOTH is when people went against the rules, the regulars who legit were in there for a fight never had issues...Bruv119 beat me up plenty in there, never gave him crap on 200 or on the BBS.

Have you honestly ever played fortnite before? How is fortnite a game that’s classified as cooperative? It’s a battle royal, fight to the finish, last man standing wins. Everyone is out to kill each other. There is a Duo and Squad mode (4 player max size). The squad mode is the closest thing to “cooperative” gameplay as you will get and even then it’s not much.

Fortnite has muchhh more ego bruising going on over Aces High. Every fortnite Friday, every scrim match, every big payout tournament there was extreme butt hurt going around. Now the big butt hurt is from people not getting invites for lack of points made during pop up cup series matches.

Like junky said, KOTH was the closest thing you can compare AH and Fortnite together.
I love when people call 200 toxic here....have any of these guys seen Reddit for Fortnite, CSGO, LOL, Warcraft ect ect ect.... :rofl :rofl :rofl
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #158 on: December 20, 2018, 03:35:34 PM »
I agree that all new players should have F3 mode at least

Why?  It’s borderline useless. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #159 on: December 20, 2018, 05:44:54 PM »
Why?  It’s borderline useless.
True! I think its an perception thing? Its that alot of games have it as an option and if it doesnt....something is wrong/off unfair? Thats why I say go ahead and have it...wont help you much anyway,if at all. No factor for me, so why not :D
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #160 on: December 20, 2018, 05:46:58 PM »
True! I think its an perception thing? Its that alot of games have it as an option and if it doesnt....something is wrong/off unfair? Thats why I say go ahead and have it...wont help you much anyway,if at all. No factor for me, so why not :D
If there was an on-screen gunsight I could see it being useful, but there isn't. F3 is only useful for dive-bombing and quick looks to see where enemies are below you.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #161 on: December 20, 2018, 06:00:39 PM »
If there was an on-screen gunsight I could see it being useful, but there isn't. F3 is only useful for dive-bombing and quick looks to see where enemies are below you.

I guess the main benefit would be to more easily re-acquire an enemy lost track of in a furball due to the wide field of view around the aircraft without obstructing cockpit frames and seat-backs.   However, the normal keyboard view system is so awkward and artificial, that F3 might be a more reasonable approximation of the SA a pilot would have, just achieved in a different way.

I really don't understand why people have a problem compared to VR view.  Especially VR combine with hat switches.  Especially when I can lean forward and look over or around the nose of the plane when shooting and pulling maximum G's in a turn.  Wouldn't I be strapped in?   Wouldn't G's pin me back against the seat? 

I mean I love it, but it makes me wonder what the basis if the argument against F3 is. 

:salute,
CptTrips
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:04:04 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #162 on: December 20, 2018, 06:44:31 PM »

Only time ego was a thing in KOTH is when people went against the rules, the regulars who legit were in there for a fight never had issues...Bruv119 beat me up plenty in there, never gave him crap on 200 or on the BBS.
I love when people call 200 toxic here....have any of these guys seen Reddit for Fortnite, CSGO, LOL, Warcraft ect ect ect.... :rofl :rofl :rofl
CSGO gets wild toxic real quick lolol. Fortnite really isn’t that bad, but the whole emoting on your kills just brings the troll level through the roof.  :rofl :rofl

Edit: Epic games really hit it big tbh. Having a free game cross platformed on any council or Mobil device. In game buyable content that has no effect on ingame performance (would be like AH being free but having to buy skin packs or sound packs). Fortnite is a free game that I have managed to spend over $400 on  :confused:
« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:47:22 PM by JOACH1M »
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Dundee

• Persona Non Grata
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #163 on: December 20, 2018, 07:33:39 PM »

Whooot!  New trailer!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjUouTYGzbg

Oh, wait.  Maybe not. 

Man, those graphics don't look as good as I  remembered.   :rofl  Still a great game though.

(But didn't hold a candle to the original Dynamix Red Baron!  That game first got me interested in sims.)

I mean the game is 1994  that's 24 years old...... 94 a giant hard drive was less than 3 gigs and a processor was around 200 mhz... so the graphics had to be lousy to even run it in 94 in windows 3.0

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #164 on: December 20, 2018, 07:37:37 PM »
I mean the game is 1994  that's 24 years old......

Don't say it like that.  1994 doesn't seem like that long ago to me.  :D