Author Topic: What we have been up to.  (Read 30092 times)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
Re: What we have been up to.
« Reply #180 on: December 22, 2018, 12:59:05 AM »
I have been playing World of Warships a lot recently and that has a very good system of trying to match make so that people do not get slaughtered.  They also lock everyone in the room and make them fight.  Sure there are a few who hide at the back and try to long range snipe but I have never been in a fight that has timed out due to runners.

IMO if the new venture does not address that then it will go the same way as AH.  Need to find a way to make people fight.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: December 22, 2018, 01:45:11 AM »
I have been playing World of Warships a lot recently and that has a very good system of trying to match make so that people do not get slaughtered.  They also lock everyone in the room and make them fight.  Sure there are a few who hide at the back and try to long range snipe but I have never been in a fight that has timed out due to runners.

IMO if the new venture does not address that then it will go the same way as AH.  Need to find a way to make people fight.
the bottom part of your post made me think that maybe match making should be tweaked by pilot ability. As in the higher K/D, Hit%, Kills/hour players should play players of similar stats. It keeps the new guys from being slaughtered by vets by playing people of their skill level. It also allows vets play against people who will always push their limits.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2018, 02:05:02 AM »
EPIC!!!
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: December 22, 2018, 03:46:00 AM »
the bottom part of your post made me think that maybe match making should be tweaked by pilot ability. As in the higher K/D, Hit%, Kills/hour players should play players of similar stats. It keeps the new guys from being slaughtered by vets by playing people of their skill level. It also allows vets play against people who will always push their limits.

Halo3 had the best scoring for this. Being a level 50 was incredibly hard. You would derank if you lost a couple of matches and would always be fighting people around your skill level.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #184 on: December 22, 2018, 07:42:49 AM »
I mean the game is 1994  that's 24 years old...... 94 a giant hard drive was less than 3 gigs and a processor was around 200 mhz... so the graphics had to be lousy to even run it in 94 in windows 3.0

Back then to me a giant hard drive was 400MB. I was still using a 486DX100 processor
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #185 on: December 22, 2018, 08:37:22 AM »

Back then to me a giant hard drive was 400MB. I was still using a 486DX100 processor

Yep in my case I was using a 486 INTEL DX435 (P24C)... I know that is the year Intel introduced the Pentium and P6 ( (Pentium Pro version) AMD drew even with and then passed Intel in performance

IBM was working with both INTEL and AMD and Cyrix

AMD at that time allowed other CPU production companys to use their technology and produce CPU processors under several different names...

Some time shortly thereafter, I had switched to using Cyrix running a K5 based Cyrix P166+ which was faster than the INTEL Pentium Pro 200mhz....

I've favored AMD almost exclusively ever since, for my personal use... Only have roughly 4 to 5 INTEL systems for personal use since

1994 was when those $1,000.00 CPU prices started popping up also iirc

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #186 on: December 22, 2018, 08:43:20 AM »
Halo3 had the best scoring for this. Being a level 50 was incredibly hard. You would derank if you lost a couple of matches and would always be fighting people around your skill level.
League Of Legends, StarCraft, and CSGO have the only matchmaking rank structures worth talking about.
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Online flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #187 on: December 22, 2018, 09:02:39 AM »
League Of Legends, StarCraft, and CSGO have the only matchmaking rank structures worth talking about.
I think we would need way better numbers for that to happen. Would love to see something along those lines.

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #188 on: December 22, 2018, 09:09:49 AM »
I think we would need way better numbers for that to happen. Would love to see something along those lines.

Has anyone played "WarOnline:Pacific" yet?

If not then none of us have a clue as to what's to come

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #189 on: December 22, 2018, 09:18:27 AM »

It seems to me what will mitigate runners is a structured mission, measurable victory conditions, and a time limit. If they run, they are probably not accomplishing the mission.  They lose when the timer runs out.  No car wash, er.. war cash for them!  No plane upgrades! 

I hope match win/losses are tracked in the player stats and ranks, not just raw individual points. Helping the team to win should weigh equally as much as getting your own personal kills. 

The scoring system will effect player behavior in WO:P even more than it does in AHIII due to the imperative to earn war cash for planes.  You will get more of what ever you subsidize.  If you reward K/D, then players will be very incentivized to avoid getting killed as that is half their score.  If match win has a higher weight, a player might be incentivized to throw themselves in to a pack of enemy to distract them so a team mate can accomplish the mission and win the match, even if that means their personal death.   

PTFO, as they say in Battlefield.  Play the * objective!

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 09:22:04 AM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #190 on: December 22, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »

If HTC didnt want players to speculate about the new game they would have posted the original post and then locked and pinned the thread, right?

Personally I like the "war" aspect of the game. Just strait up furballing gets boring pretty quick. If the new game is more along the lines of these others and is set up as a timed mission.... take out all enemy players while holding this base/flag for 10 minutes... I dont think I will last long there.

If all development time is pushed toward the new game.... and possible add-ons... "War Online: Europe", War Online: Eastern Front" and so on, what is to happen with AH?

Offline TequilaChaser

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: December 22, 2018, 10:12:54 AM »
Well I can tell you from first hand knowledge that HTC was working on the next coming patch update this past Thursday afternoon/evening and the time was after 5 PM central and HiTech and I were on the phone with each other and both of us were logged in to one of the arenas at the same time....

I was showing him something I thought might possibly be a bug or issue...after a few messages he told me that he had fixed it for the next upcoming patch update for  AH3....

So that shoots down everyones negative thoughts and posts that HTC is putting all their time, money and resources only to WarOnline:Pacific

It's funny to watch others posting such nonsense and negative thoughts about what they think HTC is doing and don't have the common sense to realize how they are being disrespectful towards HiTech as well as pushing people away from the game by posting crap like that

~S~

TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #192 on: December 22, 2018, 10:30:25 AM »
So that shoots down everyones negative thoughts and posts that HTC is putting all their time, money and resources only to WarOnline:Pacific

As if Hitech would just dump his life long dream/quest.  This HTC not EA.

It's funny to watch others posting such nonsense and negative thoughts about what they think HTC is doing and don't have the common sense to realize how they are being disrespectful towards HiTech as well as pushing people away from the game by posting crap like that

Which brings up an interesting point.  I hope WO:P can have a new, separate forum.  Like a different URL even.  WarOnline.com/forums. Maybe get a clean start and a little separation from some of the constant negativity they would see around here.  Not a good impression for prospective new customers.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Online flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #193 on: December 22, 2018, 01:40:40 PM »

Not sure why you quoted me? 
I was referring to the match making that junky was talking about.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #194 on: December 22, 2018, 01:56:46 PM »
As if Hitech would just dump his life long dream/quest.  This HTC not EA.

If it becomes a money sink and starts to drag the "company" down like an anchor, it would be a smart "business" decision to cut it loose. Never say never.

Which brings up an interesting point.  I hope WO:P can have a new, separate forum.  Like a different URL even.  WarOnline.com/forums. Maybe get a clean start and a little separation from some of the constant negativity they would see around here.  Not a good impression for prospective new customers.

:salute

And what makes you think that would stop any negative comments from showing up? Have you reads the Steam Community Boards for AH?

Its unfortunate that there is bad blood between HTC and any number of players, but that wont just disappear by switching to a new board.