Author Topic: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.  (Read 30244 times)

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
Re: Attracting more players in the main arena or what ever it's called today.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:39:17 PM »
If they did do the OP suggestion they should allow any player to participate in Special Events with whatever plane the event is using...the restrictions should only be for main arena play.

I was really only thinking about allowing free accounts access to the main arena, did not consider special events and I would keep that for subscription accounts only.  Kind of like a marketing tool.  a reason to upgrade from free to subscription.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 02:41:05 PM »
You are correct, they should be guided to the training either video or a trainer in the training arena.  There is no formal training available and but that is not the subscriber's fault it's just our burden.  HTC is the only one that can create a mandatory training boot camp but I doubt that will happen.  I'm wondering if the new WOP will have a formal training arena?  If not then the new player there won't last past 20 minutes either.

What game have you played that forced you through a session with a formal trainer?  That would actively irk me.

What they need is something automated that walks you through the basic operations when you first start up.  "Press E to start engine." "Pull back on the stick/move the mouse downward to take off."  "If your plane goes too slowly it will stall." the first time it happens.  Stuff like that.

Actually if it were me, I'd have it walk you through setting up your main controls on the first time through.  "What do you want to use to make the plane go up and down?"  "What do you want to use to make the plane roll?"  "What do you want to use to fire all guns?" etc.

A video is not going to cut it.  They need to have the information smashed in their faces repeatedly ingame.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 09:26:46 PM »
Aces High was one of the few games I've ever played that had no Tutorial or walk-through mission. Thankfully, people like Mathman, and several others taught me how to get around in Aces High 19 years ago.

There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2019, 11:37:59 PM »
Aces High was one of the few games I've ever played that had no Tutorial or walk-through mission. Thankfully, people like Mathman, and several others taught me how to get around in Aces High 19 years ago.
There is an extensive Help section on the website. It just isn't formally presented as the place to start. It contains many videos and help sections on set up and game play.  But you are 100% correct there is no formal boot camp or required training to teach the basics.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2019, 11:49:21 PM »
Read the steam reviews on AHIII.  This is one of the biggest complaints that people have.
It should say 'Free To Try'.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2019, 11:58:29 PM »
What game have you played that forced you through a session with a formal trainer?  That would actively irk me.

What they need is something automated that walks you through the basic operations when you first start up.  "Press E to start engine." "Pull back on the stick/move the mouse downward to take off."  "If your plane goes too slowly it will stall." the first time it happens.  Stuff like that.

Actually if it were me, I'd have it walk you through setting up your main controls on the first time through.  "What do you want to use to make the plane go up and down?"  "What do you want to use to make the plane roll?"  "What do you want to use to fire all guns?" etc.

A video is not going to cut it.  They need to have the information smashed in their faces repeatedly ingame.

Wiley.

That's all available through the Help on the main web page.  One of the games that had formal training was WWII Online, another was Eve, another was, or what's the point.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2019, 12:17:44 AM »
I've actually seen an increase in #s recently. There have been some huge fights out there. There's a lot of doom and gloom on these boards but most of the time you can easily find fights. Unfortunately not too many Europeans or Asians and Japs play for the off #s to pick up in "the off hours". I really think it just comes down to maps that are more suitable for 100-200 players. Consolidating the fights in smaller rehlms makes the fights seem bigger and more exciting. A few small maps recently really had some great fights. Smaller maps with closer bases 15-16 miles really makes for the best action and most fun.

Is there a way to create an offline mission that would allow for a basic "check ride" for new gamers?

This would be a great way to help them learn the controls. Should be a tutorial on how to access clip board to change flight controls. How to use radio. And how to change views. Personally, noobs would have a much easier time at 112 FOV and looking straight forward (home key) than them looking down in the cockpit. They dont know how to change that.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2019, 12:19:55 AM »
not sure why FOV isn't set to 114 by default

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2019, 12:29:49 AM »
Read the steam reviews on AHIII.  This is one of the biggest complaints that people have.

I hear what you are saying, and don't disagree necessarily.  I also raised an eyebrow when I first saw that. 

However, the WWI and custom arenas ARE free-to-play.  In addition to those free-to-play arenas, there are some additional premium Melee, AvA and Special Event arenas behind a subscription paywall. 

Perhaps too fine a point, but not completely inaccurate.

:salute,
CptTrips

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2019, 01:06:32 AM »
I hear what you are saying, and don't disagree necessarily.  I also raised an eyebrow when I first saw that. 

However, the WWI and custom arenas ARE free-to-play.  In addition to those free-to-play arenas, there are some additional premium Melee, AvA and Special Event arenas behind a subscription paywall. 

Perhaps too fine a point, but not completely inaccurate.

:salute,
CptTrips

I'm just relaying what I have read on Steam.  Some folks read that 'free to play' and think that this game is free to play. 

Coogan

From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 03, 2019, 01:13:57 AM »
I'm just relaying what I have read on Steam.  Some folks read that 'free to play' and think that this game is free to play. 

Coogan

Yep, I read those too. 

Their complaint has some merit, but also HTC was not totally untruthful.  A bit more careful wording could have avoided a lot of hard feeling.  Maybe:
"Premium and Free-to-Play Arenas!"

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2019, 01:39:50 AM »
Yep, I read those too. 

Their complaint has some merit, but also HTC was not totally untruthful.  A bit more careful wording could have avoided a lot of hard feeling.  Maybe:
"Premium and Free-to-Play Arenas!"

:salute

I don't think HTC was untruthful.  A lot of those people probably thought the game was free is all.  (they didn't read the fine print.)

Coogan
Game Id's:

Offline asterix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2019, 02:37:08 AM »
HTC is the only one that can create a mandatory training boot camp but I doubt that will happen.

Voluntary but with rewards would be better IMHO. Maybe do all the training stuff and get an extra week free in addition to 2 weeks, or perk points or sth.
Win 7 Pro 64, AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ 3,0 GHz, Asus M2N mobo, refurbished Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 GV-N960IXOC-2GD 2GB, Corsair XMS2 4x2GB 800MHz DDR2, Seagate BarraCuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM HDD, Thermaltake Smart 430W

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2019, 04:03:40 AM »
If there is any true way to increase numbers, then it will take a personal interaction in a public setting with a computer setup and an experienced player being a spokesperson and trainer to the public.  It would take dozens of them spread throughout the cities and towns across the globe.
Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2019, 06:03:05 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

Coogan

These folks have obviously never downloaded free apps and free download software.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)