Author Topic: new stick`  (Read 5684 times)

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
Re: new stick`
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2019, 10:24:45 AM »
What are y'alls thoughts on the warthog series? I almost bought the stick when it was $200 but decided not to since I don't have rudder pedals.

I tried the TM Warthog, but returned it.  I found the spring way too stiff (although you can get different springs), and the hat switches were also stiff and didn't "click".  Much prefer the CH Fighterstick which is an identical design but much less stiff and has switches with "tactile feedback click".  I did like the Warthog hall-effect position transducers -- much better resolution than the CH and won't require periodic maintenance.
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline OldNitro

• Nickel Member
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2019, 11:12:33 AM »
I have had zero issues with my Gladiator MK2, sure love it.. Ordered in Dec 16, got it in Feb 17, total time in active service, about 5mo.. But I only play during the winter months, and I am not hard on my equipment.. So I can't really say how it handles an everyday pounding for months on end.. At $100, it was money well spent!

« Last Edit: January 16, 2019, 11:33:28 AM by OldNitro »

Offline SIK1

• AH Training Corps
  • Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2019, 02:29:48 PM »
Another high end stick manufacturer comparable to VKB that hasn't been mentioned hear is Virpil. https://virpil.com/en/
They build a high quality stick, and have recently moved all manufacturing in house. Read as, not made in China. At this time they are on a two week restock schedule trying to satisfy demand. They even tell you when the next scheduled restock is due.

Personally, I was very disappointed in the Warthog. I don't feel like the quality of the product was equal to the price. The metal grip is nice, but for me that's about the only positive.

I still have a fully functional CH setup from when they were family owned that I keep around just in case. It has been a very reliable setup which came in handy the three times my Warthog failed me. I wouldn't recommend CH now because there are more and more complaints about their quality.

:salute
Sik
444th Air Mafia since Air Warrior
Proudly flying with VF-17

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2019, 07:07:54 PM »
My old Saitek X52 is worn out. Some buttons not working anymore. Im in the merket for new. What is everyones fav setup for not a small fortune?

On my 4th X-52 right now.  Tried Warthog, Logitech extreme 3d, CH Fighterstick, Combatstick, T1600, 5fly, X-52 Pro and VKB Gladiator.   :rolleyes:

X-52 is still my favorite, simply due to ergonomics.  The only stick that has the hat switch low and in the center, which is far easier to reach.  Will keep buying X-52s as long as they make them.  Not terribly durable if you are a hack (like yours truly) but knock on wood, my current one is three years old and never needs calibration, but the hat switch is wearing out.  Still, got eleventy billion hours out of it.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2019, 09:09:53 PM »
Have you tried the x56? Looks purdy

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2019, 11:45:39 PM »
caldera i got the x55 several years ago, i was one of the first ones well like within 6 months.  couple of toggle switches gone but it's still a great stick.  x56 should be better.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2019, 11:48:52 PM »
caldera i got the x55 several years ago, i was one of the first ones well like within 6 months.  couple of toggle switches gone but it's still a great stick.  x56 should be better.

semp

I've heard the X-55 twisty-spring has a little more resistance than the X-52.  If so, I would look into upgrading to that myself.

Coogan
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:31 PM »
I have the Logitech X-56 Hotas, and CH pedals. Very happy with all. :rock
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline Brooke

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.electraforge.com/brooke/
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2019, 03:53:20 AM »
I like feel of CH Products sticks the best.  Flightstick is $80.  Other models are more.  For me, CH stuff lasts a very long time.

For a choice at lower price point, I like the Thrustmaster T.16000M.  They are $40.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2019, 05:16:09 AM »
I have the Logitech X-56 Hotas, and CH pedals. Very happy with all. :rock

How long have you had it

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2019, 05:43:26 AM »
I like feel of CH Products sticks the best.  Flightstick is $80.  Other models are more.  For me, CH stuff lasts a very long time.

For a choice at lower price point, I like the Thrustmaster T.16000M.  They are $40.

Agreed, except the newer CH products controllers after the company switched ownership the quality and support dropped like a landslide

My CH fighterstick is 1997, my CH pro throttle is 1998(or 99) and my CH rudder pedals are 1993.... I've got newer models of all 3, with all of them being just fine some are early 2000's some are mid to late 2000's....then I have for parts 3 complete CH products fighterstick, pro throttle hotas gameport models....along with Satiek controllers, Thrustmaster controllers and Logitech controllers....

But for me, having switched from my Jane's edition CH combatstick gameport model to the CH fighterstick gameport model in 95....I'm to set in my ways to try and switch to any other brands of controllers, LOL

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline flippz

• Nickel Member
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2019, 07:38:08 AM »
And yet my Gunfighter/MCG-Pro stick is the best I've ever owned. Far and away the most expensive tho, and hopefully the last I'll need to buy. Granted it took several months after pre-order to get the gunfighter base and another 6 to get the grip but all together over a year in now and I haven't had a glitch. Seems pretty bullet proof. You must be brutal! That weenie plane you fly doesn't need all that!

I can't imagine one of these sensors going bad. They aren't pots like back in the olden days. Nothing touches anything so there's nothing to wear out. More likely one of the little wiring harnesses just breaking a connection. Having had my base apart a few times, my mechanic's eye tells me if there's a weak link in the system - - that's it. Lot of things stuffed into that little space inside of the grip, so the wiring is a bit tiny.

I'm in the US and their North America rep is always quick with a reply to email for whatever. Quick as in hours-- not days or weeks. Clearly the guy that handles the EU isn't all that and tends to go completely dark for months at a time from what I see on their forums. They also apparently have logistics problems getting product from the factory in China to the Netherlands where he's at. Things literally get there on a slow boat from China! So if you're in the EU, that is apparently what that is. All my stuff, once it was shipped, went by air from China to NYC and was at my door in about 5 days total.

So far other than the very high cost I have no complaints. Would buy their throttle if they'd just build the thing! <looks across the street at Virpil>

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

I love that the "plane" I fly is called a weenie plane.

I also explained my stick is in very humid conditions at the shop (gladiator).  they are good sticks.  I have a gunfighter mgc at the house (which is up for sale) that has been taken apart and worked on for loose harness, the base screw continually loosening and a sever pop noise where a cam support (may not be right word) came loose. 

the main issue i am getting at is cuustomer support for them has gotten horrible.  i contacted randy about the hat switch by email and he was quick to respond.  wanted me to send it in (russia) for warranty repair.  i told him is was happy to buy a hat switch and pay shipping so he referred me to the customer ticket support.  after tow emails with no replies i went to the bbs for VKB NA and aerogatr (owner?) stated he would send me one.  after two PMs with no reply and offering to pay him for the switch and months with no look back or left look switch i purchased a second.  the second stick lasted about 8 months until the lift (z) axis will only range about 70% of what i should have and with many movements the aileron (x) axis will cut in and out.  now again i say thats no fault of VKB as the sticks are in a harsh enviroment where temps can swin alot (which causes condensation in the stick), but i would like to be able to get parts for it like a hat switch versuses having to buy a whole new stick.

also the software is very hard to configure unless you spend hours reading and trying, also have to get a russian to english translator as i have found more info on there boards than ours. 

no doubt a good stick, but after sales experience for me has been not good.  i have the vkb pedals, 2 gladiator mk2, gunfighter mgc pro, and preordered the twist adapter in feb. of 2018 (still no release date) to upgrade the gladiator to a mgc grip.  so i was just sharing my thoughts of when you spend that kind of money with a niche company you would think they would want to send you a hat switch. 

Offline Drano

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2019, 08:14:11 AM »
I love that the "plane" I fly is called a weenie plane.

I also explained my stick is in very humid conditions at the shop (gladiator).  they are good sticks.  I have a gunfighter mgc at the house (which is up for sale) that has been taken apart and worked on for loose harness, the base screw continually loosening and a sever pop noise where a cam support (may not be right word) came loose. 

the main issue i am getting at is cuustomer support for them has gotten horrible.  i contacted randy about the hat switch by email and he was quick to respond.  wanted me to send it in (russia) for warranty repair.  i told him is was happy to buy a hat switch and pay shipping so he referred me to the customer ticket support.  after tow emails with no replies i went to the bbs for VKB NA and aerogatr (owner?) stated he would send me one.  after two PMs with no reply and offering to pay him for the switch and months with no look back or left look switch i purchased a second.  the second stick lasted about 8 months until the lift (z) axis will only range about 70% of what i should have and with many movements the aileron (x) axis will cut in and out.  now again i say thats no fault of VKB as the sticks are in a harsh enviroment where temps can swin alot (which causes condensation in the stick), but i would like to be able to get parts for it like a hat switch versuses having to buy a whole new stick.

also the software is very hard to configure unless you spend hours reading and trying, also have to get a russian to english translator as i have found more info on there boards than ours. 

no doubt a good stick, but after sales experience for me has been not good.  i have the vkb pedals, 2 gladiator mk2, gunfighter mgc pro, and preordered the twist adapter in feb. of 2018 (still no release date) to upgrade the gladiator to a mgc grip.  so i was just sharing my thoughts of when you spend that kind of money with a niche company you would think they would want to send you a hat switch.
Yeah shouldn't be that big of a deal to send you a switch or even that whole board with all the switches on it that you could just plug in even easier. Especially as those switches are supposedly rated to like a bezillion presses and shouldn't be failing in the first place.

About the only thing I can see coming down the line for me is that I was an early adopter of the gunfighter and so have a Rev A stick and base which are now all Rev B. The difference is that the male to female connection between them has been reversed. B is clearly the way they should have gone in the first place but that doesn't help me. Now they SAY they'll continue to make Rev A stuff but for how long who knows? All their bases and grips moving forward will all be Rev B (hehe until they come up with some other connection). I worry that if something ever does happen to my grip if I'll be able to even obtain a replacement. Reversing the connectors is apparently something akin to neurosurgery and is not recommended so they aren't going to make a kit that you could do it with even if you wanted to. This issue will come up again I think when they eventually release the twist adapter. This shouldn't be too far off as the kosimo grip testers already have it. Will they come in both or just B?

The good news/bad news is every time I think I'm gonna have more time to fly, RL intervenes. That should help with the mileage on the stick at least. As long as it holds up its super awesome.

Yeah and it's a weenie plane!

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: January 18, 2019, 12:09:34 AM »

How long have you had it

Since March of 2018.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2019, 02:18:42 AM »
I've heard the X-55 twisty-spring has a little more resistance than the X-52.  If so, I would look into upgrading to that myself.

Coogan

my came with 4 springs that i could switch at will.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.