Author Topic: Some progress but question about terrain altitudes and Mapmaker  (Read 1348 times)

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
I have finally got a terrain in from Mapmaker and a clipboard map to suit but I have some questions about the conversion of altitude information.

I have imported the terrain at about 1.5 to 1 and have flown round it pretty well. The problem is that the hill and mountain areas appear much flatter than in real life - for example the Scottish hignlands appear as gently rolling hills and the Pennine hills are barely noticeable.  I have checked altitude reaadings by clicking on a grid square and checking the alt shown and they  appear correct but the visual represenation seems way off. The flat layout appears correct and matches the clip map very well.  Is it possibly a unit of measure problem - USGS data is meters and AH uses feet ?? - I don't know but it certainly doesn't look right,

Any ideas anyone ???

Sparks

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Some progress but question about terrain altitudes and Mapmaker
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2001, 07:14:00 AM »
 Try replacing the elv file, always move or delete elv, typ, res files before you replace them.

The editor seems to get "confused" and combine them if you don't.

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2001, 08:01:00 AM »
Sparks, what may be visually a large mountain while on foot, becomes "gentley rolling hills" from 20,000ft in an aircraft.

Go to the locations in the Terrain Editor, and physically check the altitude height and compare it to some real maps you have of an area.

What I'm saying is that it may be an optical illusion.  

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure

Offline Sparks

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2001, 11:44:00 AM »
Hiya Verm,

Thanx for the reply. I understand what you're saying so I dropped down and stood next to a sheep but it still didn't visually appear right.

I am wondering what the resolution of the map-maker info is. i.e. what is the minimum width of a feature which would be displayed, and whether any smoothing that is being carried out is flattening relief. For example, if a valley has a width of 2 miles peak to peak, peak height of 1000ft, and the valley floor of 200ft, will it be resolved correctly?

Do you have to switch out of preview mode in map-maker before exporting the data?

I do feel that I'm actually getting somewhere now...

Offline Vermillion

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2001, 12:52:00 PM »
I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I can tell you how to find it.

There is data (I forget its name) you have to download off the net to use in Ogre's Mapmaker. Go to the original website where you got that data, and if I remember correctly, it gives the exact specifications and descriptions you need.

------------------
Vermillion
**MOL**, Men of Leisure