Author Topic: Aces High Default Tile sets.  (Read 9163 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Re: Aces High Default Tile sets.
« Reply #105 on: April 26, 2019, 02:24:02 PM »
Yeppers, just keep nibbling at it........

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2019, 04:45:12 PM »
Around the heal and halfway done with the topography.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: May 02, 2019, 01:17:23 PM »
One more pot of coffee and like every morning, wert der ferk did I get myself into this time....................der chocolate moose got loose.....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: May 04, 2019, 02:23:55 PM »
Sometimes doodling on the workspace with a color that creates a drastic contrast helps show the way to a solution. Also those straight line 5000ft ribbons were throwing me off.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #109 on: May 05, 2019, 06:12:41 PM »
Got der moose back in the corral and voila....

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2019, 04:32:33 PM »
Finishing previous segments, then they boarder a new one will introduce the need to doodle to figure out where the water goes. Had to paint in those long tan segments and grade them all the way to the water. Then build the mountains around them to give them a reason to exist in those spots.

Before.

After.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #111 on: May 16, 2019, 03:51:03 PM »
One of the problems with the size of topography in the terrain editor and then in the MA is scale. In my case creating mountain ranges where I'm capping the elevation for most at 5000ft while averaging 2500-3500ft. Some places I pull up the center of a large mountain that anchors several ridge lines between 6000-7000 becasue visually it works better than 5000. Those work visually better as exceptions you randomly come upon.

So this leads to the limitations of the polygon size and how far to run a ridge line out and down to it's terminus at a much lower elevation. For a 5000ft top, on average the longest run is 5 miles. Going farther than 5 miles you create a pattern of bifurcations and branches which adds to the construction time and mapping of the primary canyon runoff grades that you will pull side ridges down to. I have some ten mile runs to fill an odd space and had to branch a lot to create nuance. The polygon size is not friendly for really lonf ridges. If you look at many AH2 era terrains, the builders didn't want to bother with this kind of time consuming detail. So after awhile, they get really stale to play on due to the mono detail.

Well, here again I'm filling a space longer than 10 miles due to adapting for the airfield spacing's. And once again I had to use that tan color to define the primary glacier cut grade area all the ridge lines mirror.

Before I ran into the heal at that southern end of the main island, I can't believe I wasn't using the tan color to set the glacier cut as my side canyon guide. Or define all the bifurcations and branching of water cuts. Talk about pulling it out of my whatsis. Meh there were times I thought I was trying to quilt a paisley pattern quilt with an embroidery needle and a few chalk marks after a 6-pack. I was getting creatively burnt out by it.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #112 on: May 19, 2019, 05:10:09 PM »
Had to change a glacier cut course but got it looking like it belongs there. In the last post check the tan areas to see what I rerouted.

It's now obvious the east and north parts of the island glacier cuts will be remapped on the fly.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #113 on: May 20, 2019, 01:47:04 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that what looks random is actually dictated by field placement rules. That's why the ridge line ribbons were always suggestions, and as the work progresses around the island I'm forced to modify the ridge ribbons more frequently with every subsequent section. Just can't escape fractal theory short of making the landmass one large geometric shape 1000ft high and painting the whole thing a single color.

Still, the polygon mesh is a fractal.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #114 on: May 24, 2019, 05:14:50 PM »
This is how "fun" turns into a 4 letter word.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #115 on: May 26, 2019, 03:26:52 PM »
The areas around ports are fun to develop. Then I noticed eventually I have a lot of shore battery and PT spawns to map out. It's not nice to lay down a shore battery that can drop 8in rounds on the next airfeild's GV hanger. The minimum distance for airfields is also the maximum range for the 8in. Or goof and make it possible for the shore battery to take each other out. 

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #116 on: May 27, 2019, 01:59:59 PM »
Thought I would end up doing a whole lot of remapping of the ridge ribbons.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #117 on: May 27, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
Definitely a lot easier now.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2019, 01:26:34 PM »
On the real Svalbard island the equivalent area I'm working on is covered in glaciers with long runs to the ocean.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #119 on: May 30, 2019, 02:34:01 PM »
This is getting really Catch-22ish in having to setup the base mountain range building for several valley's across just to get the backs sides of the central tall peaks in place before doing any finishing work on all those valley's themselves..... :rolleyes: And now I've come full circle into the first work I did in March and can't remember why I did some of the features the way I did them while I'm blending the current work into it.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing