Author Topic: Combat Challenge Questionnaire  (Read 1349 times)

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Combat Challenge Questionnaire
« on: February 06, 2019, 11:12:54 PM »
Hello all,

I am happy to announce that Combat Challenge will be continuing in the year of 2019. I will be your host and I hope that we can all enjoy each other's company and camaraderie. Most importantly, I hope we can all have fun and furball like crazy. The first event of the year will be in March and it will feature a Mediterranean plane set. Before the details are revealed, the CM Team needs your opinion on a few questions. The idea is to make this event as enjoyable for as many as possible. To do that, I need to know what the participants want. So, with that, here are some questions. Please add any suggestions, comments, concerns, etc. along with your answers if you have them.

A. What time would you prefer/suggest we start, 10 or 11 PM ET?

B. How long should the halves be? They have always been an hour long, should we leave it or shorten it to 45 minutes?

C. Is 15k air spawn still preferred? What about 5k or 10k?

Thank you for your input, it is highly valued. The more people to weigh in, the more people we can please with Combat Challenge. Remember, the goal of this event is to have a fun, fair furball for as many people as possible. So, please add any comments you may have along with your answers.

:salute
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline AKQwik

• Copper Member
Re: Combat Challenge Questionnaire
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 06:41:51 AM »
A. What time would you prefer/suggest we start, 10 or 11 PM ET?  I choose 11:00 PM ET.

B. How long should the halves be? They have always been an hour long, should we leave it or shorten it to 45 minutes?  I like two hour events.

C. Is 15k air spawn still preferred? What about 5k or 10k?  I don't care, we wind up on the deck anyway.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 09:50:26 AM »
Howdy! I love this event, so I'll put in my 2 cents.

I like 11pm only because I'm on the west coast and that's 8 o'clock here. The later it is for me, the more I know I can make it. Just a personal preference for me. If everyone wants it at 10, so be it.

I like the 2 hour halves. Gives people enough time to play if they cannot make it right away.  I think it's fine.

I think we should at least try 5K spawns one time. I think it would reduce the dog pile phenomenon a little bit. I think it would help the allied who could get alt over the axis a little better. Don't know until it's tried though.

Extra,
Need map creators who could design cool maps just for CC.
Try to keep the bases in relatively short distance no more than 3/4 sector apart. This keeps the fights fast paced and keeps the gangs down.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 10:03:19 AM »
A. 11PM EST
B. 60 Minutes halves.
C. I think it would be OK to rotate altitudes, perhaps for certain plane sets.

I think the toughest issue in CC is the side split. Never seems to work well, especially in certain plane sets. Over the past few years I have posted a few times that I think the best way to fix the issue is removing the Allied vs Axis sides and have all aircraft enabled for both sides.

To keep some sort of semblance to Allied vs Axis, change the scoring to reward historical kills.

For example, if a P-51D kills a Bf 109K-4, the pilot would get more points than he would if he killed an enemy P-51D. That way it rewards pilots for actively seeking historical matchups and allows sides to be split more easier for the CM and players.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Rocco

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 10:35:17 AM »
A) either works for me.
B) 60 minute halves.
C) I like the idea of changing air spawn alt based on planeset.

I do have an additional suggestion. I think getting rid of the axis/allied seperate scoreboards would encourage better side balancing. For example squads or individuals who are in the running for top allied kills are reluctant to switch to axis for a frame as that robs them of any chance of making top kills. Guys still swap sides but I think we would see it happen more and happen quicker if it didn't affect standings. Maybe have overall leaderboards and don't count same squad kills?
Ingame : AKRocco

Arabian Knights

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 10:56:30 AM »
Start time can be whatever people want but I suggest staying with the FSO start time

1 hour halves

Lower air spawns to 5k or 10k...the alt monkeys will climb anyway

And thanks Perd and the rest of the KN guys behind the scenes for carrying on with this event  :aok :rock :rock :rock...I was really worried but had not posted in here because I didn't want to be a squeaky wheel...

I want this event to be Axis Vs Allied in squad format...I fought the unbalanced side stuff while we were Allied...and we switched Axis even though we were trying to win the Allied side...I think since we are back Axis that the side balance will be back to where it was at the end of 2017 when we switched Allied for 2018...I really think that us moving Allied screwed up FSO and CCs...because Axis Vs. Allied balance was screwed up all last year in every event...

"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 11:29:06 AM »
Thank you all for the input and suggestions. Please keep it coming!
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline bgoldy

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »
A: either
B: 60
C: any

Offline jeffn

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 05:12:03 PM »

A. What time would you prefer/suggest we start, 10 or 11 PM ET? 10PM ET

B. How long should the halves be? They have always been an hour long, should we leave it or shorten it to 45 minutes? 30 min. if there are three halves, 45min for two halves

C. Is 15k air spawn still preferred? What about 5k or 10k? 5k

-JeffN-
Jagdgeschwader 11

JG11

Offline SNO

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2019, 09:06:24 PM »

A. 10pm est
B. 60 mins
C. 5k

Thank Perd
☩Schnee☩
Jagdgeschwader 11

Das-Beste-kommt-erst-noch

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2019, 09:34:40 PM »
11Pm

2 hours

10K Spawns

Balanced plane sets
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 06:44:07 PM »
Thank you all for your valuable input. The CM Team is happy to move forward with this event, which will run four times in 2019 plus a WWI Christmas Party in December. This year's first Combat Challenge will be in March and will be announced soon. The poll ends as follows:

The start time will be set for 11 PM ET, normal FSO start time.

The halves will still be set at 60 mins. apiece.

The air spawn will be decided in the days leading up to the event. Rather than having a set spawn altitude, we will base it off of the planeset/community input. However, 15k will not be an option.

C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2019, 09:50:34 PM »
 :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde