Author Topic: Bf 109 Durability  (Read 401 times)

funked

Bf 109 Durability
« on: June 27, 2000, 04:48:00 PM »
I had the chance to speak with a guy named Franz Stigler last weekend.  He once landed a Bf 109 with 82 bullet holes in it, and he has the dent in his forehead to prove it.  These bullet holes were put in him and his airplane by .50 cal guns of B-17's.

What I'm wondering, is whether the Bf 109 or any AH fighter could take this many hits from a .50 cal and survive.

I realize that this is an "extreme" data point, like the P-47 with 20 x 20 mm cannon hits.

But if we have real events that can not duplicated in the sim, you gotta wonder.

Funked, glad to play a sim that models individual bullets and not "globs-o-bullets".

Offline brendo

• Copper Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2000, 05:17:00 PM »

Yep, I heard it too.

Hey funked, that was a hell of a dint in his forehead!

Offline Udie

• Gold Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2000, 05:25:00 PM »
 hey Brendo  

any chance you could make us another one of those purdy cloud movies?  Like the one you made last year?  Only with the sunset?

That would be swell  

Udie

Offline hblair

• Platinum Member
      • http://www.cybrtyme.com/personal/hblair/mainpage.htm
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2000, 05:29:00 PM »
Intersting stuff funked, wish I coulda seen that, listening to someone like that speak of their experiences firsthand would be very cool.

BTW, I'm with udie on the movie brendo.  

Fluf

Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2000, 05:35:00 PM »
Anecdote from last nights action at A35 - I tracked and fired on a 190A5 with 6x50s,
and landed enough strikes that I stopped firing. I figured only net-lag was keeping it from dissolving and I was wasting ammo. Well the guy just rolled over and dove away. I later 'touched' his tail slightly and it fell off, but he could have made it home otherwise. This is the second time this has happened to me recently, and I think it shows that you can get lucky this way in AH too. Heck, I survived a clouting from 2 different B17s in a single spit9 sortie last night too! I did not survive the clouting from Citabria  .

Fluf

Offline SFRT - Frenchy

• Platinum Member
      • http://home.CFL.rr.com/rauns/menu.htm
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2000, 09:43:00 PM »
there was a O12 ...oups i have a memory pb... the FAC vietnam aircraft, the bi-tail cessna, I believe the military version of the Cessna 335 armed with phosfore rockets.

Well, this little cessna went home with more than 100 bullets impacts in it and the pilot wasn't hit and aircraft still controlable. Was that luck or what?    

Now, in Aces High I want this cessna    ) I'm sure you would blow me up out of the sky with your propwash only    

[This message has been edited by SFRT - Frenchy (edited 06-27-2000).]
Dat jugs bro.

Terror flieger since 1941.
------------------------

Offline Kats

• Zinc Member
      • http://jg27.org
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2000, 10:28:00 PM »
What would be really neat is if we could .check how manyu times we have been hit in the last sortie, and maybe even get a detail of the damage.

For EG,
3 50 cal strikes left aileron
18 50 cal strikes center fuselage
4 20mm strikes engine

That would be a blast IMO. Being able to see that a 20mm strike caused the oil leak in you engine for eg hehehehehe.

-lazs-

Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2000, 08:42:00 AM »
Like winning the lottery, I suppose that any plane could take 80 fifty cal hits or 20, 20mm hits if placed just right but... The smaller the plane the more packed in the vitals are and the less damage each section can take.   Many corsairs came home with 6' holes in the wing... Smaller planes would not fly with that kind of damage.   109's are not armored particularly well and have a water cooled engine.   They are very small planes with small wings and should be very fragile.  I can't imagine how they would be any tougher than say a Spit or Lag or macchi.   I would say slightly more fragile.
lazs

Offline Kieren

• Zinc Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2000, 09:01:00 AM »
You never get to talk to the guy who was taken out by the single bullet.  

Seriously, I'd hate to see that type of toughness routine in any plane (other than a buff).

Offline Fishu

• Gold Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2000, 11:41:00 AM »
One thing is sure, planes could be tougher to shoot down..
Can't wait for WW2 online with those .303 peashots, that will mean that planes won't go down after two hits 'somewhere' there.
As it is now, it is too easy to hit from ranges and with this lethality, it does not really make up for nothing but shooting race who shoots first  

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2000, 12:51:00 PM »

Originally posted by Fishu:
One thing is sure, planes could be tougher to shoot down..
Can't wait for WW2 online with those .303 peashots, that will mean that planes won't go down after two hits 'somewhere' there.
As it is now, it is too easy to hit from ranges and with this lethality, it does not really make up for nothing but shooting race who shoots first  

Thats the whole problem with the Late War plane set.  AC are more lethal, with not really alot more durability.  

SKurj

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2000, 12:57:00 PM »
 If you want to get sprayed over and over. I recommend warbirds. The fear factor in AH is much higher. And IMHO a lot more fun.

On toughness.When I was in the hosbital in Cam Rhon bay. I overheard these doctors talking about a G.I. that had been killed by a microscopic fragment from a granade. It had went through his hart. It was the only mark on his body. On the other hand I saw another guy who stepped on a mine, And looked liked he was shredded. He was sent to japan and they patched him up. And sent him home. Explosives do some very odd things.

[This message has been edited by easymo (edited 06-29-2000).]

Offline SKurj

• Gold Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2000, 01:34:00 PM »
Originally posted by easymo:
If you want to get sprayed over and over. I recommend warbirds. The fear factor in AH is much higher. And IMHO a lot more fun.

Fear factor... well yeah when 1 pass is likely all it will take if that guy boomin ya can shoot.  The less lethal ammo loads will tend to increase fight time, and improve aim IMO
I'm not saying there aren't long and fun fights in AH now, I've had a few.  And thats why i fly, to fight, not to BnZ.  Even if i do suck lol

SKurj

Offline easymo

• Parolee
  • Silver Member
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2000, 01:49:00 PM »
n The reason I like big guns, is that I feel I can survive, and even win, when I get gangbanged, if I can take the first or second guy out quick. I have done this dozen,s of times. In WB I had no chance. They would just wittel away at me.

I wasnt knocking WB. Or you. I was sincere. If you like to get away with getting sprayed over and over. It might be the one you enjoy more.

Offline LLv34_Camouflage

• Gold Member
      • http://www.virtualpilots.fi/LLv34
Bf 109 Durability
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2000, 04:05:00 AM »

Originally posted by Kats:
What would be really neat is if we could check how many times we have been hit in the last sortie, and maybe even get a detail of the damage.

Excellent idea!  

Maybe a dot command that gives stats for the last sortie?  That could include score, hits and so on?

Camo

------------------
Camouflage
XO, Lentolaivue 34
 www.muodos.fi/LLv34

Brewster into AH!

"The really good pilots use their superior judgement to keep them out of situations
where they might be required to demonstrate their superior skill."

[This message has been edited by LLv34_Camouflage (edited 06-30-2000).]
CO, Lentolaivue 34
Brewster's in AH!
"How about the power to kill a Yak from 200 yards away - with mind bullets!"