Author Topic: P/O John Mallandaine - P-51D "Edmonton Special" (Y2@B) - 442FS/RCAF - Spec Maps  (Read 4080 times)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
This is the Mustang IV (P-51D) of Pilot Officer John Mallandaine, 442nd FS, RCAF.   Originally skinned by Kev367th I have updated it with AH3 Spec Maps to get rid of the "Super Shine" (tm) gloss effect. 

I was able to preserve his nametag on the skin so he will maintain full credit.   I'll try to fix the name on the other skins of his that I updated at a later time once they go orphaned again.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 03:03:09 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
It looks so much better with the proper lighting effects Vraciu, but how were you able to preserve his nametag on it?

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
It looks so much better with the proper lighting effects Vraciu, but how were you able to preserve his nametag on it?

His callsign was available so I took it on my secondary account.   Once I get the skins converted I will change back to something else and he will be able to reclaim it if he wishes. 
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:58:10 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Squire

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
You submitting it? looks great man.  :salute
Warloc
Friday Squad Ops CM Team
1841 Squadron Fleet Air Arm
Aces High since Tour 24

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
You submitting it? looks great man.  :salute

Thanks.  Yes it will be submitted.  Technically I am updating it with Spec Maps using the original art so I can’t take any credit for how good it looks—that’s all on Kev.   I considered a few minor tweaks to it but decided to leave it alone and just make it look correct in the game.   

I just realized, however, that it will still have the default Normal Map.  I need to fix that.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 05:58:47 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
His callsign was available so I took it on my secondary account.   Once I get the skins converted I will change back to something else and he will be able to reclaim it if he wishes.

How is that possible? Isn't the skin associated with Kev's account, regardless of in game name.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
How is that possible? Isn't the skin associated with Kev's account, regardless of in game name.

Anyone can take any available callsign.   I don’t know what causes them to time out and become available.   
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
Nice one V
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page

For security reasons, I use the game name and not the account login as the information is stored on a server with a public IP address.

I do not approve this method being used like it is.  It is an abuse of the system.  One of which I will correct soon.

Let me put this another way.  If we had wanted to allow skinners to do this, we would have told them to and not spent an untold amount of time and energy putting together the adoption system.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 09:39:12 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
For security reasons, I use the game name and not the account login as the information is stored on a server with a public IP address.

I do not approve this method being used like it is.  It is an abuse of the system.  One of which I will correct soon.

Let me put this another way.  If we had wanted to allow skinners to do this, we would have told them to and not spent an untold amount of time and energy putting together the adoption system.

Abuse of the system?    That’s a tad harsh, Skuzzy, don’t ya’ think?.   It’s giving credit where credit is due, nothing more.

And to be honest, it wouldn’t even be necessary if you were able to derive a method to modify the default spec map values to something that would maintain the viability of orphaned skins like this one.    There is little to nothing I could do to the skin to improve it even if I redid the entire Diffuse from scratch—and I hate taking credit for his work.  (I’ve already gotten profanity-laden hate mail in PMs from a certain person for adopting and completely redrawing some of his stuff.)

-> For a redraw the adoption system works great.   

-> For minor tweaks it creates ethical issues that result in skins languishing in a substandard state because people feel uncomfortable taking credit for someone else’s work.

I fixed the spec maps.    That’s it.    So I saw no reason to put my name on it when this option is available.   

(Some days you just can’t win, I guess.)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:48:48 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member

To be fair, I was also overthinking the problem. I forgot that Kev's skins were available for adoption. I thought this was a case if creating an account to grab a skin from an inactive player with a current account.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
To be fair, I was also overthinking the problem. I forgot that Kev's skins were available for adoption. I thought this was a case if creating an account to grab a skin from an inactive player with a current account.

I have had numerous players ask me to fix this one because the default maps ruined it.   I thought I would get an attaboy for trying.    :uhoh
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline oboe

• Plutonium Member
Its a real improvement Vraciu, nice job.  Too bad about the hate mail, but honestly if they've been out of the game long enough that their skins are orphaned well, that's the breaks.       

I don't see this skin on the skin downloads page though?   In fact I only see 28 P-51Ds listed - isn't the skin limit 32, and I thought the '51Ds were all full up?   Did a few P-51D skins get removed?   I don't have access to the skinners admin site anymore so I can't check it from that source.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 10:47:24 AM by oboe »

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Its a real improvement Vraciu, nice job.   Too bad about the hate mail, but honestly if they've been out of the game long enough that their skins are orphaned well, that's the breaks.       

I don't see this skin on the skin downloads page though?   In fact I only see 28 P-51Ds listed - isn't the skin limit 32, and I thought the '51Ds were all full up?   Did a few P-51D skins get removed?   I don't have access to the skinners admin site anymore so I can't check it from that source.

Thanks man.  It’s a great skin.   I couldn’t do any better than what is already there on this one.

I have three Mustangs under modification.   When that happens they drop off the download page.  I don’t think the default is displayed.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2019, 11:16:49 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned