Author Topic: texture creation fail message  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
Re: texture creation fail message
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2019, 06:34:50 AM »
Thanks, Doghouse, just what was needed and exactly in the form preferred!

Aaaannddd... Things are starting to clarify, the main culprit is obvious: Although your hardware looks decent, a powerful processor and a sufficient amount of RAM and an entry level video card, you're sacrificing most of the power to a 32 bit operating system! So despite having a nice 8 GB of RAM, the 32 bit Windows only can use less than half of it. A full clean reinstall is required to change it to 64 bit, on the good side you don't have to buy another license for that. Just download the installation media from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and follow the instructions. More advice will be given here if needed. Remember, that will ERASE EVERYTHING so copy all your valuables to another media before upgrading the OS.

Unfortunately upgrading the OS is not the only bottleneck. The processor may also be one, depending whether it's of the type that can only use one core for AH or not. With luck it uses more than one core. On the plus side is the high single core performance and that even with a single core running AH the other three can be used to run other Windows tasks supposing Windows can assign them to other cores than the one that runs AH.

Yet another bottleneck is your video card. Although it's a gamer, it's an entry level gaming card and somewhat dated. Then again, it uses the faster GDDR5 memory which is a very good thing. Another good thing is that your monitor (TV) is only 720p which doesn't put much load on the video card. Those two are actually quite balanced together which should give you quite high refresh rates, a solid 60 fps most of the time with some settings cut down from the default. The texture resolution thing is among them, Environment mapping, shadows and post lighting effects should also be disabled for a smooth performance. Most likely you won't notice much difference.

Conclusion: The worst bottleneck is the 32 bit Windows operating system. Updating that is the first step to take and it's free, it only takes you a day to install, update, find and install all the motherboard drivers and install all your programs not forgetting to copy your files back from the external media. The rest should do unless you're planning to upgrade your monitor to a 1080p or even higher. That would mean upgrading the entire system.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2019, 06:12:40 PM »
Thank guys... and Biz...wow ...Ty for your time . You are always such great help here ! I do believe i took alot of your advice when i had this thing built a year or so ago . If I remember right. the processor advice came from u saying get like a 3.2 or higher ...i think this one is 3.8 and can be turned up to 4.2 , although i dont think thats good for it or necessary ... I tried to get a 32 bit system but could not do it at the time and thats been overlooked i confess but will be fixed soon ty.  How can i find out if the processor is using more than one core for AH ? I was told the motherboard could handle up to like 138 gigs of ram ?  How much Ram do u think i need for the game ?  I understand it will not help unless i get the 64 bit first though. The video card is the next thing i will save up for now that they are not priced so crazy . Again thank u all for the help ...you made my day better !
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2019, 08:32:58 AM »
There's no exact way of telling the processor usage, but you can try looking at Task Manager whether there's more than one core running on higher levels before and during the game. Programs like HWMonitor can tell the maximum usage for each core and it has a reset function. Even better would be if you could record the CPU activity for a certain time but I don't know if there's any program for that.

Your motherboard supports 64 GB of RAM. 8 is enough for AH, 16 is plenty. You may not see much difference there for AH by doubling it. Photoshopping and video editing is where you need lots of RAM.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Dogtown

• Copper Member
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:24 PM »
understood sir <S>  see u in the skies !!!
Soooo's I'm standing there i got my ......NM

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2019, 06:49:24 AM »
Just for clarification: As your computer is already about eight years old so the only recommendable hardware upgrade is the video card and possibly the PSU if needed to feed it because they can be used in a not-too-far future build.

If you plan to upgrade your hardware in steps, those two are the first ones. A monitor with a higher resolution might be the next step to give you a crisper image. Following that a new motherboard, CPU and RAM.

And thanks for your kind words  :salute
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni