Author Topic: Tiles?  (Read 873 times)

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
      • http://www.bombardieraerospace.com
Tiles?
« on: January 04, 2001, 11:09:00 PM »
Has anyone posted a web site with sample tiles on it? Or perhaps an African/Med. series of tiles?

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2001, 11:43:00 PM »
why?

NUTTZ

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Tiles?
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2001, 03:46:00 PM »

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2001, 04:13:00 PM »

Originally posted by NUTTZ:
why?

NUTTZ

Well, It's a new year and I thought I'd make a few (dozens perhaps)?

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2001, 04:53:00 PM »
I stated before on the BB a number of times, I would like to join the CM team and hook up with other Map makers. This insures we don't do repeat maps and can exchange tiles and valuable information. Sofar, no takers.

I am having a blast designing tiles and have this tile making down to a science. I have a huge and i do mean HUGE amount of tiles that i did and just don't need and/or just not the right color or texture for the map i'm working on. I have them saved for further use, But would be glad to share. I also don't want to and never intended to step on any of the CM teams toes, but "though" i would be a nice asset. I see from some of the past posting alot of map makers got frustrated and stopped and some  are waiting for the new editor to come out. I like many others are in a holding patern until the new editor is out.

I can set up a web page for this, i have storage i'm not using. if anyone is looking for some special tile , just fire me off an email or post it here.

NUTTZ

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2001, 10:50:00 PM »
I'm not looking to step on any toes, either. But, I think that making use of all the free talent available would be greatly beneficial.

Nuttz, I would like to see you go on to put a coordinated team together. Terrain developers would benefit from each others' knowledge as well. I would like to see just a few samples of what you have for tiles. Too, I would like to see a tutorial on the net somewhere. The editor itself should become less kludgy with time, but the few problems that are keeping users from making use of the TE, could then be discussed and clarified. Searching for answers through the UBB can be frustrating.

Personally, I prefer making graphics. Things like skins and tiles are what I enjoy. If I were to make a map I would, no doubt, spend too much time 'thinking' about it. heh

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline jihad

• Nickel Member
Tiles?
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2001, 11:06:00 PM »

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2001, 01:55:00 AM »
ok, www.graphixone.net/images/terrains

i loaded them up
PAC is my PACmap
PAC1 is my wintermap
rock is just that extra rock textures
Miss is misc. crap tiles i made

NUTTZ

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Nuttz, you and I have got to talk!   May I email you a few things? Sorry, but I don't currently have web space available.

Voss 13th T.A.S.

Offline NUTTZ

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2001, 05:05:00 PM »
Sure Voss,
NUTTZ@bellatlantic.net
Dflora@GraphixOne.net

I can answer any questions about CorelDraw and photopaint, I have 11 years experience working with this program. photoshop and photopaint are basically the same but what Photopaint calls one command, photoshop calls another.
NUTTZ

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2001, 03:25:00 AM »
Howdy Voss  .. =Bear= from WB AW 1.18. Your the Voss who used to run the mini scenarios at the ck V91 beta.. those were great fun!  

Got a question for ya. Are you into making real world 1:1 scale maps or the kind of no real place in particular we see in the AW/WB/AH arenas?

If your into real world, Orge's Mapmaker program is a must have.. however, wabbits' bit2map program using a good grayscale relief map is "more fun" (least for the Russia map)
  Now, we've been altering heheh completely changing all sorts of tiles.. We've taken snow and made it city.. For Luzon, (northern Philippine island) I used grassy rock for coastline.. my pal Nuttz over here uses grass... For sand.
  Here's a guy from AW who is very knowledgeable, Keith Dobson aka Sqrl at p38@mindspring.com he has a web page with lots of texture sample.. he even has sample for the moon! Ah gees can't find URL..(new machine) He says we can use any of his stuff but I like to just get ideas from him how to merge tiles not use someone else's art.

I found MSN Search a very good search engine for aerial photography. At MSN search click on more, then click on find a picture then type aerial photography ... holy moly! thousands of photos! I found exactly what I was looking for for Stalingrad. Farmland in winter pine forest covered in snow, real Russian cities from above etc.

There might be a possibility we are getting more base tiles.. (elements) EAW can handle up to 64 base tiles. Our graphics engine is similar and Dale didn't say he wouldn't do it He didn't say no.. That means we go nuttz making roads, railroads highways rivers small towns bigger towns different kinds of farmland, different kinds of forest, telephone poles.
  One word of advice: Only work on your maps late at night after the phone stops ringing and if you think this will take oh 5 hours or so..hehe add a zero or two to the end of that  
10Bears    

Offline Voss

• Silver Member
Tiles?
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2001, 05:55:00 PM »
I'm preparing that package right now, Nuttz!  

10Bears, I am not that same Voss. I missed out on CK altogether, though I downloaded a few samples. I flew WB only while it was in Beta (I think, it's been awhile). I did tell HT his game rocked, and AH is very much better!

I have not looked too much into the AH map format. I have tons of utilities for working with DEM's, BMP's, and mesh files (dxf, 3DS, cob, etc.). I like what I've seen from other artists concerning tiles. Good work guys!

I am a modeller first, but tiles are interesting too.   I am looking forward to what comes out of HTC and the TE group in the future!

Voss 13th T.A.S.

[This message has been edited by Voss (edited 01-07-2001).]