Author Topic: TBM formations  (Read 2052 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: TBM formations
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2019, 05:08:53 PM »
JU-88s have the formation option and they carry 2 apiece.

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2019, 05:35:00 PM »
+1 on TBM and SBD formations

They would come off the boat just like drones off the runway...would be a awesome addition for FSO and such  :rock

Oh don't forget Kate and Val... :aok
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2019, 05:39:02 PM »
They would come off the boat just like drones off the runway...would be a awesome addition for FSO and such  :rock

So the lead plane would spawn in front of the CV superstructure?

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2019, 05:41:38 PM »
I can understand TBM and B5N because they have bomb sights...but dive bombers wouldn't work well because of the way drones fly away when diving. Unless we make them like Bostons which can miraculously do barrel rolls and have the drones continue to fly normal.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 08:32:59 AM »
Dive bombers I'm an idiot  :uhoh :D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:35:48 AM by puller »
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:32 AM »
Lets get the Avengers and Kates done first. Work on the others later. I for one will fly them more.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 09:08:09 AM »
One way to approach drones and one that I think would add a bit of realism to the mix would be to require rendezvous way points for drones. They (drones) launch out and the player must rendezvous with them before they can be picked up in a box formation. Have them lock in to the formation at 6k at which time they will fly to get in to formation.
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
AH CV ops seems designed more for convenience than realism. I love to daydream about functional elevators, folding wings, planes moved to position for takeoff, full decks with ord and fuel making the CV more vulnerable if attacked, turning into the wind for takeoff, etc. As fun as that sounds, to me, it would be a programming nightmare for Dale and co.

But that's just an aside to reveal that I, too, have flattop desires.

Back to this smaller wish.

It still presents hurdles. While I like Ciaphas' 'form in the air' option ... what about landings? I consider myself an 'AH CV landing and take off superstar' (gotta find something in the game I'm good at) - turn it tight, reverse the turn, I'll make it. ;) I've had to become such, because that's the environment of landing on (and taking off of) CVs in the MA. Would my drones have such skill? Or are they considered expendable after they drop ordnance? In events - what will the deck look like on takeoff, once the green light is given? It's somewhat of a chaotic mess without formations. Imagine a dozen pilots with 3 plane formations spawning on deck (unless we go back to Ciaphas' idea). What will it do to our collective frame rates? Formations might require programming in a 'one formation takeoff at a time' code (take a number, your formation spawns when the one in front of you clears the deck). A CV isn't just a seaborne airfield.

Mine seems a minor criticism and, as such, if this wish is refined and comes to pass, I'll live. ;)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2019, 11:48:54 PM »
what about landings?

An approach based on the players flight path like the one already in use would work with a bit of adjustment to the way drones following on landing, ie... forcing drones to keep a proper glide slope apart from the players glide slope to ensure they land on the deck. Drones already do a full stop once down so that shouldn't be an issue.

what will the deck look like on takeoff, once the green light is given?

I would be a big fan of ordered launch from CV's. Once an aircraft has cleared 50% of the runway length the next one can spawn and proceed to take off. Forming up after launch could be a lot of fun and add depth.

What will it do to our collective frame rates?

If FPS are an issue, simply air spawn the drone x distance from the CV at a predetermined altitude and direction based on a pilot set waypoint added prior to take off.

:salute

10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline seano

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: March 22, 2019, 04:56:23 PM »
Agree.  Give us formations please. 

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2019, 06:36:56 PM »
Lets be able to select formations for TBM's and Kates to get these girls out of the hanger

Kates, I can see.  They level-bombed at Pearl Harbor and Midway, although I don't know if they did it in formation.  But Avengers?  Can't think of a single occasion when they level-bombed anything.

Same with torpedo attacks.  Weren't those always individual runs?  Possibly by section, but still....

- oldman