Author Topic: AI Hard Deck Above the Trees Pleeeze  (Read 548 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
AI Hard Deck Above the Trees Pleeeze
« on: March 05, 2019, 09:29:07 PM »
I think the AI should maintain a hard deck about 100ft AGL.

I was setting up WWI AI dogfights and the AI were chasing each other around in tight circles inches above the ground.  But they were in a forest of trees.  I could only see them poking out every once in a while.  Not fair.  I can't get down in there with them!   ;)

I understand they can't see trees, but keep them about 100 ft and that would at least make it look more realistic.

:salute

[edit] When in combat mode.  Obviously they have to be able to take-off and land.  :lol
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 09:52:18 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: AI Hard Deck Above the Trees Pleeeze
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 10:29:13 AM »
I think the AI should maintain a hard deck about 100ft AGL.

I was setting up WWI AI dogfights and the AI were chasing each other around in tight circles inches above the ground.  But they were in a forest of trees.  I could only see them poking out every once in a while.  Not fair.  I can't get down in there with them!   ;)

I understand they can't see trees, but keep them about 100 ft and that would at least make it look more realistic.

:salute

[edit] When in combat mode.  Obviously they have to be able to take-off and land.  :lol

The issue is that then over water you have fail safes.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 11:14:45 AM »
The issue is that then over water you have fail safes.

HiTech

Hmmm I'm not sure I understand that statement. Can you rephrase please?

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 11:37:09 AM »
When there are no trees you could safely fly under the AI.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 11:54:43 AM »
When there are no trees you could safely fly under the AI.

Ah.  I see.  Yeah.  Can you tell if you are over ground or over water? 

Maybe at least have a optional hard deck value in the Mission Flight properties dialog in the mission editor?  If I know 99.9% of my fighting is over land, I'd just put a 100ft buffer in there on the flights.  If I'm designing a mission over water, I might set it to sea level.  That would allow the mission designer to control.

It is surely weird to watch them constantly flying through tree like ghosts.  It really breaks the suspension of disbelief.

[edit]

On second though, the hard deck value should probably be in the segment properties not on the flight.  That way it can be left at 0ft for take off and landing segments, but set to 100ft for patrol or attack.  Unless those patrol or attack segments are over water and then you can leave it at 0ft.

« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 12:00:21 PM by CptTrips »