Author Topic: Shadow play or FRAPs or other?  (Read 675 times)

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
Shadow play or FRAPs or other?
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:40:33 AM »
I'd like to capture some flights, but wonder which would be a good program to use for pilot view capture. Low resource hog, good quality capture, ease of format conversion. Anyone aware of any side by side comparisons?

Online Drano

• Platinum Member
Re: Shadow play or FRAPs or other?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 10:13:52 AM »
I use open broadcast studio(OBS). It's fairly easy to use. Setup has the ability to config things like file types and bit rates (that will control the size). I have mine tied to a couple of hot keys that start and stop recording or streaming.  OBS also has the ability for two mic capture hot keys where Fraps only has one. That way both TAC and range talking is captured. There are also lots of filters you can play around with to tweak the look of your captures.

I've used Fraps in the past and it captures a very nice looking but also very large avi of whatever you're capturing. I switched to OBS primarily to have more control over the file size as your vids will tend to gobble up hard drive space quickly. I also stream from time to time and OBS is easy to set up for today too.

Sent from my Moto Z2 Force using Tapatalk

"Drano"
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

FSO flying with the 412th Friday Night Volunteer Group

Offline potsNpans

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
I'll take a look, thanks

Offline FLOOB

• Gold Member
“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans” - John Steinbeck

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 12:18:53 AM »
YUP, VR and TIR are recorded in AHFM :rock
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline TWCAxew

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:09:13 AM »
I use shadowplay for the occasional recording/streams I do. But get OBS set up if your serious. It seems to be the way to go.

If you want to edit your videos like Tactus does there are a few programs you maybe want to try out. Well the best and most expensive one would be Adobe's Primere pro. A free to use option would be DaVinci Resolve. However Tactus uses the Windows video editor. I call him crazy but it seems to work for him.

Cheers,
DutchVII
DutchVII / ULDutch
~~2019 KOTH/TOC Champion~~
https://ahevents.net/index.php/events/scenarios/about-scenarios
4 time scenario C.O. ~ As dew appears, As dew Vanishes, Such is my life, Everything in this world, Is but a dream within a dream.

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 10:02:08 AM »
MSI Afterburner always worked good for me
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 11:50:27 AM »
I use Pinnacle Studio for all my video editing needs.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)