Author Topic: Warbirds Magazine for March 2019  (Read 881 times)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
Warbirds Magazine for March 2019
« on: March 07, 2019, 07:48:33 AM »
https://warbirds.mydigitalpublication.com/publication/?i=568798&p=&l=&m=&ver=&view=&pp=#{"issue_id":568798,"page":0}

Remember the Mustang that went into the cornfield at Duxford? There's an after action article by the pilot describing how it happened and critiquing himself on his actions.

Not to mention a couple of other nice articles. Enjoy.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline alkali

• Zinc Member
Re: Warbirds Magazine for March 2019
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2019, 08:01:55 AM »

Reckon it was this one (think someone posted it here sometime last year). Instructive indeed.
Best,
Marc
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 08:07:32 AM by alkali »
Friendship
RAF 341 Squadron - Groupe de chasse 3/2 Alsace

Offline Meatwad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2019, 08:55:57 AM »
Yikes!  :eek:
See Rule 19- Do not place sausage on pizza.
I am No-Sausage-On-Pizza-Wad.
Das Funkillah - I kill hangers, therefore I am a funkiller. Coming to a vulchfest near you.
You cant tie a loop around 400000 lbs of locomotive using a 2 foot rope - Drediock on fat women

Offline Maverick

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2019, 10:36:13 AM »
Can't read it. Site requiring a log in first.
DEFINITION OF A VETERAN
A Veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve - is someone who, at one point in their life, wrote a check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life."
Author Unknown

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:06:17 AM »
I will try a different link after I get home. I had a link mailed to me. Sorry
« Last Edit: March 07, 2019, 11:07:52 AM by Toad »
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member

Offline alkali

• Zinc Member
Friendship
RAF 341 Squadron - Groupe de chasse 3/2 Alsace

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 02:44:01 PM »
Awesome video.

I was taking glider lessons a few years back.  My instructor always told me one of the biggest risks was pilots trying to stretch it too far trying to get home and not accepting a land-out while they still had the alt and speed to control the situation.  Ironically, the closer you are to the runway the bigger the risk.  You are sooooo close, the first instinct is to try for it rather than accept the embarrassment and possible glider damage from a land-out.

Many a glider pilot has been hurt with the end of the runway in sight.  :O

He made a good choice.  That's why he gets to sit with a cup of coffee and tell the story.  :aok
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 03:55:18 PM »
As he said in the article, there were a lot of decisions and some he felt that he could have improved upon.

SA is all; the tower was screaming about his gear and he reacted out of habit. As he says, might not have been best to lower the gear right then.

But, he walked away. Good landing!  ;)

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2019, 03:31:34 AM »
As he said in the article, there were a lot of decisions and some he felt that he could have improved upon.

SA is all; the tower was screaming about his gear and he reacted out of habit. As he says, might not have been best to lower the gear right then.

But, he walked away. Good landing!  ;)

Gear up in a field that has obviously been plowed before is the only choice.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 09:06:03 AM »
Gear up in a field that has obviously been plowed before is the only choice.
Agreed. Interesting that the owner is an insurance broker. I’m sure he had insurance on that bird to cover everything including bird poop stains on the canopy.

Excellent video too.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline 1Cane

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 03:13:47 PM »
Did he switch fuel tanks?  Does this aircraft have a boost pump? :airplane:
AkCaine

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 03:37:32 PM »