Author Topic: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.  (Read 8662 times)

Offline Max

• Platinum Member
Re: Looks like the time to upgrade to Win10 is fast approaching.
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 06:52:04 AM »
Soooooooooooooooo……...I successfully installed Win10 (tip of the hat to Bizman for answering a plethora of questions during the process) I took the opportunity to transition to a SSD. Dang, they're fast  :aok

I'm slowly but surely learning the ways of W10. Adding a Google search bar to Edge isn't doable, eh? Nor is Chrome, for that matter. Any tips and tricks pertinent to Win10 + Edge are welcome.

Oh yeah...I mentioned to Bizman that upon downloading a fresh install of AH3, the scenery appeared to be a bit more crisp/vivid. Anyone else have that experience? I'm using a GTX 760 card.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2019, 07:49:36 AM »
Soooooooooooooooo……...I successfully installed Win10 (tip of the hat to Bizman for answering a plethora of questions during the process) I took the opportunity to transition to a SSD. Dang, they're fast  :aok

You're scaring me Max. :) What tips?
I'm backing up my ssd now in prep to begin the install later this morning or afternoon.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2019, 10:46:59 AM »
I stand corrected.

However, upgrading from 7 to 10 may not be the smartest move since the two OS'es act differently in allowing programs to directly run hardware. Back in 2016 many players reported about poor performance and glitches in upgraded computers, and that the issues were gone after a clean install.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:07 AM »
Ah, right. I was planning a clean install of the OS and programs.
Anything else?
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:17:56 AM »
Easy, if Max could do it, you can.  :D

Max, do I understand you right? You should be able to install Chrome to 10, I just did it today.
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2019, 12:18:13 PM »
I run chrome on 10
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline wrench

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:56 PM »
I have 2 windows 7 home premium 32 bit installation discs.

Used those key codes to do clean install and activate windows 10 home 64 bit on 2 computers.

So you can upgrade from 32 bit windows 7 to 64 bit windows 10 for free (or windows 7 pro to windows 10 pro, which I did on another computer).

Save those windows 7 activation keys because if you have to re-install or change too much hardware in windows 10 you'll need to enter them again to re-activate. For example, if you change a major component, like a motherboard or cpu, or just move the windows 10 hard drive to another computer, after installing windows 10.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 03:47:47 PM by wrench »
Leave that thing alone!
Relax said the Knight, man, we are programmed to receive.
You can check out any time you like, but you can never leave.

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 03:28:18 AM »
A license key is just bound to the Windows edition (Home, Pro, etc) but not to the architecture version (32/64 Bit).
So a 32 Bit key may be used for 64 Bit install or vice versa but not Home key for Pro.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 10:52:46 AM »
It took me 3 or 4 times at reinstalling before I got it right. Seems to be running okay.

Biggest issue for me is the lack of support for my 5 or 6 year old 27" Viewsonic paired to a 17" Dell monitor. Both are 1980x1080p and Win10 doesn't offer that resolution for my Viewsonic. With both monitors recognized, it gets worse with wider, shorter res. + inappropriate scaling. On Win7 the Viewsonic is 1920x1080 and the Dell is rotated into Portrait mode at 1024x1280 . From what I've seen so far, Win10 with Nvidia don't allow that setup. btw the Dell is probably 8+ years old.

I'm installing AH3 and Oculus next, the main reason for the update, to see if I even want to continue.

It just occured to me to set the Dell at 768x1024 and see if that works.

Wish me luck.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 10:57:35 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2019, 11:10:11 AM »
Do you have the motherboard drivers installed? All common native resolutions should be supported so there's something not right with your drivers.

Kotisivuni

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2019, 10:06:32 PM »
This came up at some point in the: Driver updates for Windows 10, along with many devices, such as network adapters, monitors, printers, and video cards, are automatically downloaded and installed through Windows Update.

I'll be installing 398.xx shortly, or whichever the latest one is. Got it on my 10 driver usb along with several others. The initial install and setup is painful. I can see why Skuzzy didn't sound like he liked 10. All together though, it isn't much worse the 8.1, or 7 or xp. Most people will never do an OS installation.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 12:24:57 AM »
Drives me nuts that Nvidia and others make it so difficult to find drivers for their products even though (edit) especially when (end edit) they are sitting on their website. Installation of every driver has failed so far with something like "Your hardware doesn't meet the requirements."

As I said originally, it was Oculus that forced me to upgrade, and they are no better than anyone else as far as the above goes. But on the plus side, I stumbled upon, and almost missed, a link on the Oculus site directly to a page that may have solved my Nvidia driver problem.

https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx

Plug in the spec for your card, like Geforce 10 series, etc and it spits out the "latest" driver. In my case, 419.35, not 398.xx as my earlier searches at the Nvidia site suggested.

I know, you're shaking your head at my latest dumb attempts. I hope that link helps other dummies like me to ease the frustration level.

:bhead :bhead :bhead :bhead
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 12:31:39 AM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 01:34:04 AM »
You were absolutely right Bizman. Thank you. Between the dumb user at the keyboard and the lack of helpful info on the websites, I might have given up. (Win10 had installed Nvidia 388.xx and said my 398 was older or some such.)

Worse, in the morning I'll see if Intel has Win10 drivers for my MB chipsets, out of order, I know, it's that dumb user again. Since audio and ethernet seem to be working, I think I can pass on those Realtek drivers. :pray

I refuse to 'fly' without Oculus and that's only left tank nights in the AvA on Win7. I look forward to getting back to Monday night's craziness in fighters if all goes well. Look out Shuffler, there may be a 'Bruester' with a wrench and a hammer looking for you soon.  :x
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 02:20:26 AM »
Glad you got it sorted!  :aok

On the positive side, having learned something new is preemptive against potential memory disease issues in the future!

Kotisivuni

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 02:42:44 AM »
What's your Win10 build version ?
Some newer gfx drivers refuse to install on Win10 older than 1803 (1809 is the most recent build)