Author Topic: Diesel Cessna 172  (Read 2914 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Diesel Cessna 172
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
Pffft...... The Germans did this during WW2......

If it uses jet fuel no wonder it was quiet,it couldnt make up it's mind whether to knock or whine....... :devil

:salute

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2019, 10:12:37 AM »
Pffft...... The Germans did this during WW2......

If it uses jet fuel no wonder it was quiet,it couldnt make up it's mind whether to knock or whine....... :devil

:salute

This one had an interesting hum to it.  Most of the noise was from the prop. 

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 10:14:54 AM »
Okay but are local FBO's keeping a fuel truck with diesel? Or would you have to call the local truck stop every time you land on a cross country journey?

Yeah, it’s jet fuel powered.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2019, 09:28:24 PM »
Yeah, it’s jet fuel powered.

WOW. JetB. now that's saving.
But then again $307,500 for a Skyhawk, I guess gas isn't really a factor. More technology and at least as much metal in the $75000 Lexus he drove to the airport.
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2019, 01:08:46 AM »
 :rofl

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2019, 12:56:44 PM »
Yeah, it would be nice if it were possible to build a Cessna 150 with basic VFR instruments and an engine from the current millennium and sell it for the price of a brand new luxury car.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2019, 06:30:00 PM »
Yeah, it would be nice if it were possible to build a Cessna 150 with basic VFR instruments and an engine from the current millennium and sell it for the price of a brand new luxury car.
Private flying was an affordable hobby for anyone with a half-decent job when I learned to fly in the 1960's.
Just for fun I priced out a new Lycoming O-320. A very basic pushrod air cooled 4 cylinder aircraft engine who's technology also dates to the 1960's. It's just shy of $74000.
The only thing I can think of, that's driven aviation totally out of the average guy's ability to play, is product liability insurance.
Any one else have a better answer?
Being male, an accident of birth. Being a man, a matter of age. Being a gentleman, a matter of choice.

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2019, 09:13:35 PM »
Private flying was an affordable hobby for anyone with a half-decent job when I learned to fly in the 1960's.
Just for fun I priced out a new Lycoming O-320. A very basic pushrod air cooled 4 cylinder aircraft engine who's technology also dates to the 1960's. It's just shy of $74000.
The only thing I can think of, that's driven aviation totally out of the average guy's ability to play, is product liability insurance.
Any one else have a better answer?

Yeah.

The insurance thing was significant.  I've personally been involved with some aviation liability matters.  But Congress did its job, and generally fixed that particular problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Aviation_Revitalization_Act

The present difficulty is due to (a) FAR Part 23 requirements (see https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/understanding-part-23-rewrite), labor costs (every plane is essentially hand-built), and lack of demand (https://airfactsjournal.com/2017/09/general-aviation-trends-12-charts/). 

It's a vicious circle.  Lack of demand is spurred by this:  Just getting your private pilot ticket will cost between $10k (what I paid, 2016-18, when 172s rented for $60/hr and fuel was $4.??/gallon), and whatever it is now.  Not to mention the marital distress caused by the fact that keeping a plane hangered and airworthy will cost c. $10k/year - and that's if you don't fly it at all.

So we've got a bunch of old rich people who can afford to fly, and a general aviation fleet composed almost entirely of used planes 40+ years old.  And now they have to comply with ADS-B, which will run a $25k upgrade.

Oy.  It burns, it burns.

- oldman (As to the "old rich people":  I proudly showed this video to my daughter - I have a small part in it, my old Saratoga has a big part - and she said "Dad, did you notice anything significant about what all those people looked like?"  https://player.vimeo.com/video/65224587)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2019, 09:21:59 PM by Oldman731 »

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2019, 10:33:12 PM »
If I still had my ticket, I'd still have my PT-19. I wouldn't put ADS-B in it.

I'd just stay out of airspace that required a transponder.

One of the best things about the grass strip airport I hangared it at was that it pre-dated the big, fancy control tower/radar approach airport just a few miles to the north. So there was a big pie shape cutout in the big airport Class C airspace that the little airspace nestled in. Didn't have to talk to tower, didn't have to say jackchit to anybody. Loved that place.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2019, 09:30:25 AM »

Yeah.

The insurance thing was significant.  I've personally been involved with some aviation liability matters.  But Congress did its job, and generally fixed that particular problem:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/General_Aviation_Revitalization_Act

The present difficulty is due to (a) FAR Part 23 requirements (see https://www.aopa.org/advocacy/advocacy-briefs/understanding-part-23-rewrite), labor costs (every plane is essentially hand-built), and lack of demand (https://airfactsjournal.com/2017/09/general-aviation-trends-12-charts/). 

It's a vicious circle.  Lack of demand is spurred by this:  Just getting your private pilot ticket will cost between $10k (what I paid, 2016-18, when 172s rented for $60/hr and fuel was $4.??/gallon), and whatever it is now.  Not to mention the marital distress caused by the fact that keeping a plane hangered and airworthy will cost c. $10k/year - and that's if you don't fly it at all.

So we've got a bunch of old rich people who can afford to fly, and a general aviation fleet composed almost entirely of used planes 40+ years old.  And now they have to comply with ADS-B, which will run a $25k upgrade.

Oy.  It burns, it burns.

- oldman (As to the "old rich people":  I proudly showed this video to my daughter - I have a small part in it, my old Saratoga has a big part - and she said "Dad, did you notice anything significant about what all those people looked like?"  https://player.vimeo.com/video/65224587)

Thank you for these comments.
Is it any wonder that a world-wide pilot shortage is upon us?

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2019, 10:09:48 AM »
Thank you for these comments.
Is it any wonder that a world-wide pilot shortage is upon us?

Not at all.  It will be interesting to see how our congressional experts approach the problem when it starts affecting them directly.

Offline Busher

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2019, 10:34:13 AM »
Not at all.  It will be interesting to see how our congressional experts approach the problem when it starts affecting them directly.
Very bold of you using congressional and expert in the same sentence.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2019, 11:18:26 AM »
Very bold of you using congressional and expert in the same sentence.

:rofl Yeah, what was I thinking?!