Author Topic: Flying the F-35  (Read 6782 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Re: Flying the F-35
« Reply #90 on: April 08, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »
Might be time to padlock this thread since it’s gone far beyond flyINg the F-35.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #91 on: April 08, 2019, 04:05:10 PM »
Might be time to padlock this thread since it’s gone far beyond flyINg the F-35.

Agreed!
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #92 on: April 12, 2019, 08:45:03 PM »
Here's the new airshow.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2019, 08:47:50 PM by FLS »

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #93 on: April 12, 2019, 09:01:35 PM »
Here's the new airshow.

:aok That video must have been shot on Saturday. I was there Sunday and the polished pony was not there. The video doesn't do the F-35 justice. It was amazing to watch in person.

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #94 on: April 13, 2019, 10:27:01 AM »
Did they ever get all the sensors to work on the F-35 so that the pilot could see through the aircraft via his helmet?  That would be a major breakthrough if they did, and might make the plane worth it.
Currently ignoring Vraciu as he is a whoopeeed retard.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #95 on: April 13, 2019, 10:58:52 AM »
Yes

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: April 13, 2019, 05:40:53 PM »
Did they ever get all the sensors to work on the F-35 so that the pilot could see through the aircraft via his helmet?  That would be a major breakthrough if they did, and might make the plane worth it.

Nothing will make it worth it. 

Let’s hope it never has to be used against a tier one opponent.    It’s fine for airshows and wasting ramp space at Luke...

”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: April 13, 2019, 06:00:24 PM »
I think we better hope the JASDF F-35 isn't on the dock in Shanghai right now. Or in a hangar at Jianqiao Air Base!
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #98 on: April 13, 2019, 06:39:48 PM »
I think we better hope the JASDF F-35 isn't on the dock in Shanghai right now. Or in a hangar at Jianqiao Air Base!

They already stole all the info I bet.   Joke’s on them.    :rofl :D
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline ACE

• Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: April 13, 2019, 08:34:02 PM »
The plane is such a step forward in history. I’m glad we are able to produce quality jets like this. Can’t wait to see what we come up with next.
Sixth Tri-Annual Dueling Bracket Champion

The Few

-Spek

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #100 on: April 14, 2019, 12:31:38 AM »
I'm interested in seeing how the F-16 is going to perform when it gets some of the F-35 systems.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Spitter

• Copper Member
« Reply #101 on: April 15, 2019, 11:26:56 PM »
I work on the A-10.  The F-35 is supposed to replace the A-10 (at least most of it's roles), but it can't. It is simply in a different performance envelope. Not better or worse, but different and definitely worse for the 2 most important roles the A-10 plays: Close Air Support, and even more important, Combat Search and Rescue. 

The F-35 is a boondoggle (go watch "The Pentagon Wars", and imagine the same thing with an airplane, and waaaayyyy more money). I work on Hill AFB, I see the F-35s flying over every day, and it's a cool plane. Fast, loud, (really loud) and a hangar queen that is almost as bad as the F-22! 

Luckily, the A-10 is funded through 2032. Long live the Warthog!  :D  :rock

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2019, 03:47:55 PM »
I work on the A-10.  The F-35 is supposed to replace the A-10 (at least most of it's roles), but it can't. It is simply in a different performance envelope. Not better or worse, but different and definitely worse for the 2 most important roles the A-10 plays: Close Air Support, and even more important, Combat Search and Rescue. 

The F-35 is a boondoggle (go watch "The Pentagon Wars", and imagine the same thing with an airplane, and waaaayyyy more money). I work on Hill AFB, I see the F-35s flying over every day, and it's a cool plane. Fast, loud, (really loud) and a hangar queen that is almost as bad as the F-22! 

Luckily, the A-10 is funded through 2032. Long live the Warthog!  :D  :rock

You aren't going to like this, but A-10s have a horrible friendly fire ratio.  They were blowing up US Marine AAVs (full of Marines) during the Battle of Nasiriyah in Iraq.  Read the book, had a classmate who was in the battle.  F-35 has the optics to identify what is friend or foe.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2019, 03:50:22 PM »
You aren't going to like this, but A-10s have a horrible friendly fire ratio.  They were blowing up US Marine AAVs (full of Marines) during the Battle of Nasiriyah in Iraq.  Read the book, had a classmate who was in the battle.  F-35 has the optics to identify what is friend or foe.

IF they get them to work. 

Friendly fire is as old as time and will continue to be, technology be darned.   

B-1s hit the wrong targets.   Apaches hit the wrong targets. 

At least with the Joint Strike Failure the targets it can hit will be so terribly limited that collateral friendly deaths should be minimized from this platform. 
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline DaveBB

• Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2019, 04:00:06 PM »
IF they get them to work. 

Friendly fire is as old as time and will continue to be, technology be darned.   

B-1s hit the wrong targets.   Apaches hit the wrong targets. 

At least with the Joint Strike Failure the targets it can hit will be so terribly limited that collateral friendly deaths should be minimized from this platform.

B-1s still had radar bombsites at the beginning of the War on Terror.  Apache friendly fire has been attributed to blatantly disregarding orders (Gulf War).