Author Topic: Computer help..moving forward  (Read 8643 times)

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
Re: Computer help..moving forward
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2019, 02:41:06 AM »
Is the 1TB HDD big enough for your needs ?
Depending on how much you need and how long the computer is active per day one may consider getting a larger WD Red - I prefer 5400rpm drives for storage as they are usually much quieter than 7.2k ones.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2019, 02:07:19 PM »
Would it not be enough? I wouldn't play a ton of games on it I wouldn't figure unless I got into the Madden and FIFA world.
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2019, 04:14:33 PM »
1TB should be plenty.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2019, 09:09:42 PM »
Is the 1TB HDD big enough for your needs ?
Depending on how much you need and how long the computer is active per day one may consider getting a larger WD Red - I prefer 5400rpm drives for storage as they are usually much quieter than 7.2k ones.

Read/Write speeds are reduced at lower rpm. I have a 15,000 rpm drive and of course I am older and have lost the upper end of my hearing range, but I hardly notice it is even there.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2019, 01:18:08 AM »
Would it not be enough? I wouldn't play a ton of games on it I wouldn't figure unless I got into the Madden and FIFA world.
1 TB is plenty unless you store thousands of RAW format photos, edit videos, store movies or have a ton of games installed. In the last case I wonder how often would one single game get played if one gaming session lasts a few hours and the player has a job and family. Then again, there's not much price difference in 1 and 2 TB versions.

As Chalenge said, 5400 RPM HDD's are slow. They made sort of a comeback as a cheaper and less power hungry alternative for the 7200 RPM disks for storage use. Back in the day when 7200's were the "fast" ones, a 5400 would do as a secondary drive for random use. Logically with a fast SSD a 7200 RPM would be the next slower storage. Now that the overall power consumption of serious gaming desktops has drastically dropped - four digit power supplies are rarely needed! - there's no need to try to cut a single percent here and there. There's plenty to choose from the inexpensive 7200 RPM/64 MB cache range, 128 MB cache being a little more expensive. Just choose a version meant for 24/7 use.

The 15000 RPM disks are way too expensive for gaming use.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2019, 12:09:09 PM »
dont forget a usb self powered hub.  for your joystick and throttle.  it helps a lot.

Looks good to me, no obvious weakness there. Plus what semp said about the powered USB hub, it can help keeping the controllers sound.

These days many motherboards have solution for USB voltage drops (advertised under different names).
In case of ASRock - B450 Steel Legend, power is supplied from MB 12V power plane and stepped down to 5V, to ensure stable USB voltage without dips.
On ASRock - B450 Steel Legend, this is implemented on 4 rear USB 3.1 gen 1 (formerly USB 3.0) ports. ASRock calls it "Ultra USB Power".

So, no real need for powered USB hub...

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2019, 12:21:02 PM »
That's good to know. At least worth testing before investing another $15.  :salute
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Pudgie

• Silver Member
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2019, 02:45:37 PM »
That's good to know. At least worth testing before investing another $15.  :salute
These days many motherboards have solution for USB voltage drops (advertised under different names).
In case of ASRock - B450 Steel Legend, power is supplied from MB 12V power plane and stepped down to 5V, to ensure stable USB voltage without dips.
On ASRock - B450 Steel Legend, this is implemented on 4 rear USB 3.1 gen 1 (formerly USB 3.0) ports. ASRock calls it "Ultra USB Power".

So, no real need for powered USB hub...

Just to add on here, you could also make use of the often overlooked and under utilized spare USB 2.x INTERNAL USB headers (usually 2 of these) that are still offered on many mobos even today to run USB HOTAS controllers off of. All that would be required is the addition of a 3 or 4 port USB 2.x rear case adapter (these can still be found on some online sites, like Newegg, for about the same amount of money or less than a cheap powered USB hub) to power\run the controllers off the mobo (thus PSU) power which is usually fairly stable (have their own mobo tracing routes to chipset) and more than adequate for most any set of std USB HOTAS controllers as most still use the USB 1.x\2.x specs.

This is how I have my CH USB HOTAS setup currently attached to my box shown in sig below. Works just fine so no need of a powered hub.

The main difference today is the use of VR headsets\controllers which most require min of USB 3.x specs but many mobo's also provide internal USB 3.x headers as well that also go unused on a fair number of systems (unless being used for front case USB access, which could also be the same for at least 1 of the internal USB 2.x headers).

You could also use a 3 or 4 slot USB to PCI-E add in card mounted in a spare PCI-E slot (min 1x slot) on the mobo to do the same....for approx. the same $15 cost of a powered USB hub. I have also gone this route as well prior to my current configuration (used an Orico 7-port USB to PCI-E add in card....card worked fine, the issue was the ports were arrainged on card perpendicular to the rear case slot so the problem of grounding was apparent if the rear case slot was not wide enough to effectively clear the USB plug). This was the only reason why I stopped using it.....I then remembered that I had 1 of these 4 port internal USB 2.x rear case adapters spare in my spare\used computer parts bin.....popped it in and been happy since.

I only bring this up as these options are often overlooked nowadays but are still available on many of the latest mobos to date. Some of us old timers that have been building boxes for some time even may already have 1 or more of these internal USB rear case adapters spare as these were more commonly supplied w\ mobos back in the day to provide additional USB port access but not so much these days.

Hope this helps.

:salute

Win 10 Home 64, AMD Ryzen 9 3900X, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, GSkill FlareX 32Gb DDR4 3200 4x8Gb, XFX Radeon RX 6900X 16Gb, Samsung 950 Pro 512Gb NVMe PCI-E SSD (boot), Samsung 850 Pro 128Gb SATA SSD (pagefile), Creative SoundBlaster X7 DAC-AMP, Intel LAN, SeaSonic PRIME Gold 850W, all CLWC'd

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2019, 06:05:30 PM »
So, I'll probably be ordering the parts this weekend. *Insert Dumpster Fire Gif*

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2019, 12:21:11 AM »

Fairly easy to test. I'm not going to be testing it on any of my machines though. How many devices do you think a 'modern' MB could take before voltage flatlines.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2019, 09:28:20 PM »
From the old build, anything worth saving?

5 Case NZXT Crafted Series Tempest 410
6 Motherboard Gigabyte G-Z77UD5H
7 Processor Intel I5 2500K 3.3 GHz
8 Heat sink/Fan Stock
9 Memory Corsair XMS 16GB (2 x 8GB)
10 Video Card(s) XFX HD-6870
11 Power Supply Corsair GS-800
12 SSD(s) N/A
13 Hard Drive(s) Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB
14 DVD/BluRay(s) Samsung DVD - CD Combo drive
15 Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Professional

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #71 on: May 08, 2019, 01:26:17 AM »
The case can be used for your new build.
The Operating System license can be used for your new build to install Windows 10 if you're going to get rid of your old computer without a Windows OS.

The Power Supply, Hard Drive and DVD/BluRay will also work in your new build for as long as they last.

The Motherboard, Processor and Memory make a solid combination of matching parts where the gaming power is defined by the video card. There should be buyers for that combo.

Then again, selling the computer as an older entry level gamer might be a good solution as well. The price level here would be around 250-300 including Windows. But then you'd have to buy a license for Win10 for +$100...

I'd at least keep the case and the Windows license trying to sell the rest, maybe keeping the PSU and HDD and DVD as well unless someone desperately wants them.

Kotisivuni

Offline fudgums

• Gold Member
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2019, 08:03:45 AM »
I have it all built, windows installed, everything looks good.

I can't however get the SSD to show up in the file explorer menu. I checked disk management and it says it's online, but it's black bared instead the blue like the HDD. It also says that the 465 GB is unallocated.

I know it's being read because I could've chose it to install windows on.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2019, 09:26:53 AM »

I can't however get the SSD to show up in the file explorer menu. I checked disk management and it says it's online, but it's black bared instead the blue like the HDD. It also says that the 465 GB is unallocated.

The unallocated means that it has not been set up to be read by the operating system - your installation program could see it and would have handled the setup for it, but the "normal" operating system relies on the disk management app to do that sort of thing before it can see it.  Right click on the disk in disk management and create a new volume.  After that (and perhaps a reboot), your file manager will be able to see it.

Mike

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2019, 11:04:06 AM »

Hmm... why didn't you install Windows on the SSD? Do you have several of them?

Kotisivuni