Author Topic: IS VR BROKEN?!  (Read 5498 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Re: IS VR BROKEN?!
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2019, 09:33:13 AM »
Sounds like something you should still report in the bug section.

Wouldn't any new use with a thrustmaster TWCS throttle and Occulus have this problem as their first impression of the game?

Glad you got back up and running.

:salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2019, 11:29:32 AM »
It's something that happens with axis assignments because there's no industry standard. That's why we troubleshoot by renaming the settings folder and always recommend checking assignments.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2019, 12:24:00 PM »
It's something that happens with axis assignments because there's no industry standard. That's why we troubleshoot by renaming the settings folder and always recommend checking assignments.

Yet a brand new Occulus user's first impression (with a worthog throttle) would be the game to hopelessly broken?

Could the program not detect an Occulus first time run and ask if it wants to unmap that default to avoid a known conflict issue?  I assume this isn't an issue unique to Wingnutt.  I assume any first time Occulus user with a warthog throttle would be broken already when they first open the app.  Did I mis-understand?

If the program doesn't at least mostly function for them at first startup, you've probably already lost a customer.  You probably only have 5 min to start interesting them before they uninstall and download the next of 50 games they wanted to try that weekend. They are not going to spend hours (days?) trouble-shooting just to run it for the first time.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 12:31:20 PM by CptTrips »
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2019, 01:21:46 PM »
That's not how it works. It depends on what other controllers are plugged in at the same time. No game can auto assign multiple controllers accurately.

You can avoid assignment problems by not auto-assigning anything, but Aces High has templates for most common setups that should help most people. 

New players get video help.

BTW the TWCS throttle is not the Warthog throttle. No idea how the assignments match up but the TWCS is single thrust.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2019, 01:44:35 PM »
That's not how it works. It depends on what other controllers are plugged in at the same time. No game can auto assign multiple controllers accurately.

You can avoid assignment problems by not auto-assigning anything, but Aces High has templates for most common setups that should help most people. 

New players get video help.

BTW the TWCS throttle is not the Warthog throttle. No idea how the assignments match up but the TWCS is single thrust.

Are you saying HT is incapable of writing code that detects what hardware is plugged in?

AHIII knows my Vive is plugged in.  I seem to remember it recognized my joystick and had it listed as the default control device.

Are you saying HT could not write code to recognize, oh, we have headset X plugged in an throttle y plugged in and this is a first time run of the program and we KNOW there is a issue with that combination that we know ahead of time will make the game appear hopelessly broken, are you saying it would be impossible for HT to popup a dialog saying "There is a known conflict with the default throttle mapping for throttle y and headset x.  Please change that outside of VR before attempting to run the game. "  and on the dlg it has a link to a help page describing the issue in detail and the step by step instructions for or it just opens automatically when the warning dlg closes.

Are you saying that is technically impossible to implement?

« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 01:52:39 PM by CptTrips »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2019, 02:43:39 PM »

AHIII knows my Vive is plugged in.  I seem to remember it recognized my joystick and had it listed as the default control device.

Sounds like it works.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2019, 02:53:32 PM »
Sounds like it works.

So there are all the pieces to sanity check a known combination that is known to not work, and convey that to a user with a simple dialog on first run, so they don't have to spend a week trouble shooting to identify a already known failure combination. 

Because a new user trying a free download probably is not going to go through that.  They will just assume the code is broken, uninstall and move on.

Is that what you want?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2019, 02:59:14 PM by CptTrips »

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2019, 03:21:24 PM »
Ever seen the new guy spawn in and sit on the runway guns firing non stop?  Same issue.  AH looks at what controllers are installed and assigns some ‘useful’ commands to them.

Best thing to do ove all mapping then go through and map what you want.  I remember it mapped ‘fire primary’ to my car racing pedals, joystick button, second mouse right button.

I knew what was going on so was able to resolve.  If I was new I would just walk away.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2019, 03:46:06 PM »
So there are all the pieces to sanity check a known combination that is known to not work, and convey that to a user with a simple dialog on first run, so they don't have to spend a week trouble shooting to identify a already known failure combination. 

Because a new user trying a free download probably is not going to go through that.  They will just assume the code is broken, uninstall and move on.

Is that what you want?

You want a foolproof solution to a hypothetical problem.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2019, 03:51:25 PM »
You want a foolproof solution to a hypothetical problem.

What is hypothetical about the problem?  It is a known fact that AH maps functions to controllers.  It is a known fact that this requires a user to trouble shoot the problem.

Nothing about this is hypothetical.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2019, 03:57:09 PM »
The actual problem was fixed. The notion that every possible hardware configuration should be accounted for was in regard to a hypothetical future event.

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2019, 11:03:02 PM »
The actual problem was fixed. The notion that every possible hardware configuration should be accounted for was in regard to a hypothetical future event.

There is no need to account for every possible hardware configuration, all you need to do is account for known issues.  In this example, we now have a known issue where AH by default maps a view function which conflicts with Oculus.  So, perhaps on first installation of a VR instance it might perhaps not map a view to a button or maybe alert the user that another controller is mapped to a view and a potential error may result.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #42 on: April 18, 2019, 08:18:47 AM »
You are assuming that every user with the Thrustmaster TWCS and Oculus will have the same problem.

You are assuming there is an easy fix.

The problem and solution are both hypothetical.

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: April 18, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »
There is no need to account for every possible hardware configuration, all you need to do is account for known issues.  In this example, we now have a known issue where AH by default maps a view function which conflicts with Oculus.  So, perhaps on first installation of a VR instance it might perhaps not map a view to a button or maybe alert the user that another controller is mapped to a view and a potential error may result.

Exactly.  Strawman argument.

It is a basic tenet of software design to check for and convey to the user basic error conditions you already know about that is simply going to prevent functioning. 

Imagine a cd burning software that just locks up when you try and run it instead of it prompting a dialog saying "Hmmm we noticed you have not put a blank cd into the drive.  Please do so and then try again."   Which behavior would provide a better user experience?

You may not have identified every error condition, but when you do know of one, sanity check for it and throw the user a bone.  Don't leave users hanging when you know of and can easily identify a potential failure condition.  Quickly popup a dialog helping the user out, or leave them to struggle with a week of trouble shooting only to find a known issue?  Which would encourage them to sign up for an account?

I swear.  Some people have the software user experience instincts of a DMV clerk.

« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 10:15:42 AM by CptTrips »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #44 on: April 18, 2019, 10:45:10 AM »
Why do you think Hitech hasn't already done everything he can do?

What you actually know is that the OP had a problem and it's fixed.

You're saying that a perfect system is a strawman argument but the system is broken because it isn't perfect.