Author Topic: Replacing potentiometers in Thrustmaster Joistick  (Read 2754 times)

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
Replacing potentiometers in Thrustmaster Joistick
« on: April 28, 2019, 07:26:08 AM »
I have this joystick: http://www.thrustmaster.com/en_US/products/tflight-stick-x

It is only few years old.

I like it a lot, it is very comfortable but it now virtually stopped working the output signal is very noisy and unstable making it impossible to fly anything.
Does anybody know where can I buy a replacement potentiometers for the stick so I can fix it on my own?

(My previous stick T.Flight Hotas 4 was ruined for same reason)

Thanks
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Replacing potentiometers in Thrustmaster Joistick
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2019, 08:29:29 AM »
I researched this awhile back when my rudder peddles did the same thing. I lucked out by thoroughly cleaning the pot but it's started doing it again. I saved the research on another hard drive and I'll be digging it out and looking into a repair over the next week. I'll let you know how it turns out. I'll reply with the specs later today, er tomorrow your time, but until I install and test, I can't say the "internet" got it right.
Good luck with your joystick in the meantime.
 :cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2019, 08:53:39 AM »
have you looked at DigiKey and Mouser?

I replaced the microswitches on my MSFF Sidewinder with switches from DigiKey I got the part number from somebody else but they usually have pretty good specifications with size etc. to try to find a replacement.
Pies not kicks.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 01:47:21 AM »
My notes were never intended for sharing, and I haven't found the referenced pdf file.
I'm submitting them as is, with nothing else to say until I find a replacement pot myself.
 :cheers:

Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

CH Products Potentiometer HP100 100K
760-598-2518 or you can email him with your information.
CTS 295 series pot

CH uses 100k potentiometers for their joysticks made by CTS

CTS potentiometers

codes
Linear taper (pot)      1
100k restance      104
3/8" bushing diameter   
3/8" bushing length      3
1/4" shaft         
7/8" shaft length      7
F shaft type      F
V terminal style      V
none Switch

Ordering code for 450 model n/g
450 V 3 28 F 104 A 1 A

Ordering code for 450G model n/g
450 T 3 28 F 104 A 1 A

295 T A 28 F 104 A 5 1
(the '5' angle could be a 6 or 7 but only the inside 60 degrees will register)
(the A is for a molded bushing without threads)

It is, or at least was originally, a CTS 295 series pot IIRC

That page is the place to go, pick up the PDF file for the 295s and you can sort a lot of it out. The PDF explains how to generate the part number, I don't see anything that matters that isn't on that list. They all rotate 300 degrees (not 270), the "active area" is under It's a series 295. You can download a PDF data sheet for it from that same page at ctscorp. They explain in that file how the model number defines the pot, the shaft length, type, whether the shaft is flatted or knurled, etc. The say the angle of rotation is 300 degrees for all 295s, that's total shaft rotation, and that the electrical rotation (the active area) has a code that tells what the electrical rotation will be. If you can measure things accurately enough, you can probably figure what the stock options were and pretty much duplicate what the stick is now.

It's the electrical rotation that important. All the 295s turn 300 degrees, but it could only be active for as little as 40 degrees. A 60 degree is one of the options in the part number. The active area, the "60 degrees" is shown under "Taper and Electrical Effective Angle, and 60 degrees is one of those listed.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline artik

• Silver Member
      • Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 02:34:12 AM »
Thanks!!! Now I have a starting point  :aok
Artik, 101 "Red" Squadron, Israel

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2019, 02:46:52 AM »
Sorry I didn't get to it sooner. Had to open the box and reinstall the HD, so wasn't anxious to get started.
The # HP-100A 0204 is apparently the CH Products part#. It's stamped on the back of all my pots but is completely useless for finding a new one.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2019, 07:25:00 AM »
I've tried cleaning CH pots with some success.  Tried alcohol; a specialty electronics product, "Lube Job"; and an electronics flux remover, Techspray #1631-16S.  The flux remover seems have been the most effective.  Sprayed it into the pot, exercised the axis, then blew it out with clean dry compressed air (a photography product).
« Last Edit: April 30, 2019, 07:26:54 AM by popeye »
KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2019, 07:17:00 PM »
Remember that the pots used on that stick have different amounts of available physical movement.

Keep your old pots because you might need the plastic parts like the cover where the shaft passes through.