Author Topic: Yak3 Drag modelling  (Read 20357 times)

Offline pembquist

• Silver Member
Re: Yak3 Drag modelling
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2019, 10:27:38 PM »
and the spit14 used to be a perk plane
Pies not kicks.

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2019, 10:57:18 PM »
Along with the ta152. And they were rightfully unpeeled since they clearly dont unbalance the game or are even used all that much

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #167 on: June 24, 2019, 12:16:04 AM »
Even though the spit16 is a better plane. The Yak3 is still overall harder to shoot down than the spit16.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #168 on: June 24, 2019, 12:16:08 PM »
Well I think it's a drag HTC modeled the Yak3,it doesnt even smell like a real yak!

:salute

PS: short range and short ammo clip has an effect on the eny,could it be lower,likely but it's short comings means it should only be lowered slightly. IMHO.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #169 on: June 24, 2019, 12:36:27 PM »

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #170 on: June 25, 2019, 11:18:49 AM »
Well I think it's a drag HTC modeled the Yak3,it doesnt even smell like a real yak!

PS: short range and short ammo clip has an effect on the eny,could it be lower,likely but it's short comings means it should only be lowered slightly. IMHO.

You could make the same arguement about the 163, Just sayin  :D
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #171 on: June 25, 2019, 12:38:54 PM »
Range isn't an issue in the MA. Most planes fly with less than 100% fuel tank anyway.
 It's only real weakness is total ammo load.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #172 on: June 25, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »
Range isn't an issue in the MA. Most planes fly with less than 100% fuel tank anyway.
 It's only real weakness is total ammo load.

I never said range was an issue in the MA,just that range is considered in the ENY rating. Range,ords ammo and guns are all considered when it comes to ENY.

It never changes,first it was the spit5,then the chog,spit 16 etc.etc.etc. All of you who complain never think about how it effects others,just how it effect you!

A noob needs to have a plane that they can find some success in or they leave quickly so dropping eny too low or perking a plane so a new player cant fly it only leads to fewer players to fight against.

If you're tired of chasing guys,just dont chase,turn away and use your uber skills to kill them when they try to attack.

YMMV!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #173 on: June 25, 2019, 03:33:45 PM »
You could make the same arguement about the 163, Just sayin  :D

Actually the 163 does smell like a real yak! Might be the Cstoff..... And no I dont think the same argument can be made,the 163 is perked for a reason,only available at certain bases for a reason.

Was a time when several of us would fly 163 many sectors,refueling just to show up at a fight,to surprize unsuspecting players..... :devil

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #174 on: June 25, 2019, 06:38:17 PM »
  I never said range was an issue in the MA,just that range is considered in the ENY rating. Range,ords ammo and guns are all considered when it comes to ENY.

It never changes,first it was the spit5,then the chog,spit 16 etc.etc.etc. All of you who complain never think about how it effects others,just how it effect you!

A noob needs to have a plane that they can find some success in or they leave quickly so dropping eny too low or perking a plane so a new player cant fly it only leads to fewer players to fight against.

If you're tired of chasing guys,just dont chase,turn away and use your uber skills to kill them when they try to attack.

YMMV!

I dont think it should be perked. Or that nobs shouldnt be allowed to fly it. Simply have its ENY level set appropriately to match its capabilities (and limitations). Its popularity and kill ratio in the MA is a better proxy than any equation could yield on how to calculate the ENY. ENY really only becomes an issue when there is a significant numbers disparity and it is designed to keep the overall fight balanced. I think some people would like to have ENY removed altogether but I actually think it's the best solution even if imperfect to balancing sides as long as the associated values are appropriate.

Personally I think an ENY value of 8 like the n1k2 would be appropriate. With better guns it would easily be a 5 ENY plane though along with the spit16 or 51d.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2019, 06:40:28 PM by atlau »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #175 on: June 25, 2019, 06:48:05 PM »

As always, Morfiend speaks wisely.

- oldman

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #176 on: June 25, 2019, 07:20:09 PM »

- oldman

Except that most people dont think it deserves to be perked. And if the ENY were set too low I'd be arguing to raise it instead.

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #177 on: June 26, 2019, 01:40:20 AM »

Actually the 163 does smell like a real yak! Might be the Cstoff..... And no I dont think the same argument can be made,the 163 is perked for a reason,only available at certain bases for a reason.

Was a time when several of us would fly 163 many sectors,refueling just to show up at a fight,to surprize unsuspecting players..... :devil

Damn, that sounds like a good idea...

- oldman

Ehh I disagree with his premise. Less top performance planes in the arena is better for noobs. A small perk prevents too many top performance planes to eat up the environment.  a noob could earn a top war plane with 5 perks quickly. The Yak3 gets a 1000 more kills than a La7 a tour. That's me every month X10 more kills. It's not fun to fight for noobs. The overall fights in the arena would be better for everyone overall with less top performance planes, and noobs would actually have a far better chance at shooting people down in an arena with less top fighters. JMO tho...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #178 on: June 26, 2019, 01:01:57 PM »
Except that most people dont think it deserves to be perked. And if the ENY were set too low I'd be arguing to raise it instead.

See I never said it should be perked just that perking "ANY" plane makes it unavailable to new players.

I would add that just because a plane has a certain amount of kills doesnt mean it needs adjustments,it just means it's popular! When 50% of sorties are flown with just the Yak3 then maybe it's become unbalancing.

The only way a new player can compete is if they have a plane that is capable and gives them some advantage,whether it's a big ammo clip,long range,great speed or it's a turning SOB. so putting them in a 109F4 or whatever just means they will leave and go play some other game that lets them get that advantage.Fights wont get better for new players with less competitive planes,they can barely fly as it is and the only players who would benefit are the sharks who have some knowledge of BFM.

Ask yourself this will the game change for the better or worse if the eny is lowered to say 10 or 8 for the yak3 or will there be no change and players just log because they cant fly what they want?  We've seen this happen with the 51,players logging because they dont want to switch sides and the 51 isnt available to their side.

YMMV.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #179 on: June 26, 2019, 01:20:21 PM »
Ask yourself this will the game change for the better or worse if the eny is lowered to say 10 or 8 for the yak3 or will there be no change and players just log because they cant fly what they want?  We've seen this happen with the 51,players logging because they dont want to switch sides and the 51 isnt available to their side.

YMMV.

Maybe I'm wrong but I've only ever noticed "If I can't fly plane X I'm leaving." type statements coming from pony dweebs.

My take on the people that fly things like the Yak3 and the Spit 16 and the LA7 is just people looking for the best tool for the job.  If one isn't available, they switch to the next best thing and go.  On the forum they may say "Oh that's my favorite plane from the war." but I am somewhat skeptical in most cases.

I also have a straight out-of-my-ass theory that the ENY levels on a few planes are intentionally high so new players have something they can still have a decent chance in.

Most people who favor turny planes can do a decent job in an LA5 when ENY gets high, for example.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11