Author Topic: Yak3 Drag modelling  (Read 20363 times)

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Yak3 Drag modelling
« Reply #180 on: June 26, 2019, 03:30:17 PM »
Maybe I'm wrong but I've only ever noticed "If I can't fly plane X I'm leaving." type statements coming from pony dweebs.

Wiley.

Oh they did and if you care to search you will find those statements out there.

I dont want to switch teams but I want to fly my little pony was posted many times.

Like I said this has been going on for as long as I can remember,spit5,chog,etc. Oh and the cherry picked stats to support the argument went with them.

Now dont get me wrong I did say there might be an argument for lowering the eny# on the yak3,how much lower is best left for those who actually run the game,I would think.

:salute

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #181 on: June 26, 2019, 03:52:03 PM »

Oh they did and if you care to search you will find those statements out there.

I dont want to switch teams but I want to fly my little pony was posted many times.

Think you misread (or I mistyped ;))  That's what I'm saying, the only people I've ever seen say "Plane X or nothing" was the pony drivers.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #182 on: June 26, 2019, 04:01:13 PM »
Yup.....

Totally got my mords wixed...

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #183 on: June 27, 2019, 12:15:59 AM »
Generally most games start the noobs off with the least valuable equipment and the noob must work their way toward better equipment. Why don't most noobs just leave those games then?

IMO, eny cap should not ban the P51, or other planes from allowing people to fly in them. As the #s get more lopsided, the planes should become perked rather than banned. This way, a player can still fly a P51D but they'd have to pay perks. They should have to pay perks for more Ord too...

Perks are proof that it reduces plane usage.

I really don't even understand why we have perks...
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #184 on: June 28, 2019, 11:56:02 AM »
Funny thing about perks..... those that do not have them, want them. Those of us who have tens of thousands, hardly ever use them.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #185 on: July 20, 2019, 12:01:08 AM »
You won't be. Everyone is on the internet.
why play at defending those tards. We have all been there when the fight is all over the place, close in and no warping, but as soon as you saddle up and at time even near the six, warp city! I wont name names, but a few guys seem to always get connection issues, some times so bad they end up behind you from 400 in front.! Happened to me, punching holes in him next thing i know he has warped to my six! Can we say interrupt switch or maybe even a multiple screen shot macro!
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #186 on: July 20, 2019, 12:12:50 AM »
why play at defending those tards. We have all been there when the fight is all over the place, close in and no warping, but as soon as you saddle up and at time even near the six, warp city! I wont name names, but a few guys seem to always get connection issues, some times so bad they end up behind you from 400 in front.! Happened to me, punching holes in him next thing i know he has warped to my six! Can we say interrupt switch or maybe even a multiple screen shot macro!

What we can say is that you're supposed to report this via email to HTC along with film and not post this stuff on the forum.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #187 on: July 20, 2019, 05:34:53 AM »

Understanding the internet and the game is important. When things are at a distance they update at a certain rate. As you close on a moving object, those updates will start increasing in a given time. At some point the updates can get quick enough to make any lag or issue in connections very obvious.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #188 on: July 20, 2019, 10:32:28 AM »
Generally most games start the noobs off with the least valuable equipment and the noob must work their way toward better equipment. Why don't most noobs just leave those games then?

In those games, the new players do start off with the least capable equipment, BUT they only face others with similar equipment, as there is generally a matchmaking system.  This allows them a sense of accomplishment as they gain skill in upgrading to a more powerful vehicle, which will then compete against other more powerful vehicles, maintaining both a challenge and the ability to progress.  Given the natural desire to upgrade, most of the competitors to a low-tier, inexperienced player will have similar levels of experience (not all of those low tier players will be inexperienced noobs of course, but many/most of them certainly will).  The AH arena model does not allow this - the brand new player entering into his first online combat against other players will be playing against players with much more experience, flying aircraft which they have selected because of their performance as well as their skills in them.  This puts the new AH player at a much greater disadvantage in trying to get some immediate success than those flying most other games employing matchmaking systems.

Mike

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #189 on: July 20, 2019, 12:07:55 PM »
Yes they do not want to compete in the open world.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #190 on: July 21, 2019, 04:09:18 PM »
Yes they do not want to compete in the open world.

It's not even that. It's really about the density of the fight and the amount of time it takes to enter combat. I don't want it to be match play style just want the maps to be smaller with shorter base distances. 20 players in one area fighting is awesome! 20 players fighting in multiple areas are really freaking awesome. 20 players spread out around a huge map is boring. It's rare to find density on a huge map if you have fly 1.5 sectors to defend your swarmed base.

In those games, the new players do start off with the least capable equipment, BUT they only face others with similar equipment, as there is generally a matchmaking system.  This allows them a sense of accomplishment as they gain skill in upgrading to a more powerful vehicle, which will then compete against other more powerful vehicles, maintaining both a challenge and the ability to progress.  Given the natural desire to upgrade, most of the competitors to a low-tier, inexperienced player will have similar levels of experience (not all of those low tier players will be inexperienced noobs of course, but many/most of them certainly will).  The AH arena model does not allow this - the brand new player entering into his first online combat against other players will be playing against players with much more experience, flying aircraft which they have selected because of their performance as well as their skills in them.  This puts the new AH player at a much greater disadvantage in trying to get some immediate success than those flying most other games employing matchmaking systems.

Mike

I get what you are saying. I just know a few games that I play like BF4 put you in the arena with all levels who have way more advantage with earned items. Staged scoring works well for certain games, but it's definitely not what I'd like AH to be. My point is that players like to 'earn' things and aren't afraid of dying to get better. Though when you have fly 15 minutes if feels to get to a fight, and then die quickly, it makes players wàntto fly timidly. Now, if good players only fly good planes. It makes it even harder for noobs to learn the game. That's why I'd like more minor perked planes.

Funny thing about perks..... those that do not have them, want them. Those of us who have tens of thousands, hardly ever use them.

That's why I'd like more planes to be perked. Good players would not use them as much, therefore giving newer players an easier chance. After a couple of kills they have enough to fly a 190D or spit16 or la7 and can enjoy it. Most of the good players wouldnt choose to fly easier planes as often if they were perked. It would actually be better for noobs while making for better fights in the MA overall.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2019, 04:13:33 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2019, 02:18:33 PM »
If the MA were an "air fighting only" arena this would work fine. It's foundation is capture the flag and people use their un-perked powerful rides first as fast bomb trucks then as the best way to get out of being a low target after they pitch their ords. Most of the MA game is not dueling, but instead opportunities to partake of that as a result of flag capturing initiatives. My almost 20 years of this game, that has always been how the MA functioned. Your solutions are too narrow for the open world MA becasue you ignore the fact most players are playing capture the flag and not interested in what you play the game for. Most people find out quickly in our world being a fighter pilot is not for them and they turn to all the offerings generated by the capture the flag game in the MA.  Shooting down other planes is part of that but not the total focus of the activity. They won't openly admit to that, it's easy to see by interactive observation and why so many loudmouths on 200 whine about people running away. Most customers in the MA are not fighter pilots.

Becasue the only thing you do in the MA is play lone wolf fighter pilot, you have a myopic narrow view of the whole MA game environment. Only a tiny percentage of players ever play in the MA the way you do while the rest take part in everything else offered as game play in the MA.

I've wondered if the mistaken assumption by all the opinionated over the years is that all customers want to become fighter gawds and nothing else. So the only help they have for the new customer is to throw them off a cliff rather than the baby steps of capturing flags. In capture the flag the goals are easier to learn and acheive while the new player has a better chance to learn how to fly a plane in the company and safety of others. Remember all those missions or hoards the fighter gawds called them dismissively. Where all the newbies had a chance to survive and learn the game and how to fly in Hitech's physics environment. And just like today, back then all those newbies took fighter gawd scalps by banding together and swamping them. Those baby steps gave them small victories and built the confidence to keep coming back. And it gave them friendships and networking opportunities which many used to join squads. This game would have died right after the 2008 economic collapse if the MA was 100% lone wolf types. The people who stayed were all old friends who used the game as a social media function like they do today.   

Most talented people in real life are clueless to teaching others how they do what they do. So many make the mistake of forcing anyone trying to learn from them to become their clone. They assume the person looks at the vocation exactly the same way they do and wants exactly what gets them off about it. And that being talented at it makes them an unassailable expert to all aspects of it. That drives away everyone but a person already motivated and innately talented enough to teach themselves and succeed at the vocation. Sadly, often the original talented person thinks they are a great teacher while being clueless that all they did was attract to themselves a like minded already talented person.

We drive away the customers we think we are talented enough to know how to keep in our game with our highly talented myopia.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2019, 08:44:13 PM »
It's not even that. It's really about the density of the fight and the amount of time it takes to enter combat. I don't want it to be match play style just want the maps to be smaller with shorter base distances. 20 players in one area fighting is awesome! 20 players fighting in multiple areas are really freaking awesome.

I have to agree on that.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2019, 04:37:48 PM »
I have to agree on that.

Yes but thats has nothing to do with limiting planes or forcing players to fly this or that.

Shuff,remember fighter town map?  3 bases near the lake and everyone mixed it up in the center.Sort of like the old dueling arena but it was a map in rotation.

HTC might consider something like this to cut down on flight times and concentrate the action.

I'll shut up now as I still havent returned yet from my leave.

Online Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2019, 05:48:06 PM »
Understanding the internet and the game is important. When things are at a distance they update at a certain rate. As you close on a moving object, those updates will start increasing in a given time. At some point the updates can get quick enough to make any lag or issue in connections very obvious.

I know how the net works (better than most here) - I've seen the certain group of Yak-3 fliers, when you saddle up on them there is a combination of stick stirring and a sudden loss of decent internet at their end. It's quite funny, sometimes they don't know you're there and are nice and smooth - then it's like a switch gets flipped.

I've sent in plenty of videos. I can understand the frustration of others.