Author Topic: Flying WW II Airplanes  (Read 785 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
Flying WW II Airplanes
« on: June 10, 2019, 06:10:48 PM »
What's the key to flying WW II planes. They seem to be wallowing all the time. I have tried different throttle setting's and no help. Flying level and the least little nose up or down creates a bunch of control issues. The only thing steady, is a hard right turn in the SPAD and the Fokker DR 1.

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Flying WW II Airplanes
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:12:18 PM »
First, 'WWII airplanes' is a pretty broad category. Each craft has different characteristics.
Second, once you learn the best altitude and speed of a specific plane then you'll find its sweet spot.
Third, you won't be in that sweet spot the moment you level off. You may have to do a shallow dive to get there quicker.
Fourth, yes, you may want to consider scaling your stick in settings if it is spiking. All the system sees then is a ham fist.

There may be more to this. I'm sure others can fill in.  :cheers:

Almost forgot - not every plane is suitable for every player (at least not in the beginning). But, practicing with the ones that give you the hardest times can eventually be rewarding.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 07:14:22 PM by Arlo »

Offline nooby52

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 07:30:46 PM »
 Ummmm, did you perhaps mean WWI airplanes?

Flying as "South52" for VF-17 Jolly Rogers
17 Squadron - The Hardest Day Battle of Britain
204 Kokutai - Target Rabaul
610 Squadron -TFT Battle of Britain

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 07:35:33 PM »
Ummmm, did you perhaps mean WWI airplanes?

I saw the SPAD and DR1 comment as well and thought he merely was using them as a comparison to the WWII set but now that you mention it .... you may be right.

Even then, wouldn't the same apply? I would think the bipes would be more stable.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 08:18:41 PM »
What's the key to flying WW II planes. They seem to be wallowing all the time. I have tried different throttle setting's and no help. Flying level and the least little nose up or down creates a bunch of control issues. The only thing steady, is a hard right turn in the SPAD and the Fokker DR 1.

We don't have a Spad we have a Camel. Both the Camel and the Dr1 have rotary engines, the entire engine rotates with the prop just bolted to the front of the engine. This mass of spinning metal creates a lot of torque which results in a lot of gyroscopic precession. That's why pitching the nose up and down causes yaw and yawing the nose right and left causes the nose to pitch up or down.

Your best setting is usually full throttle and just go with the torque, never fight it. Practice loops and hammerheads, you'll find the gyroscopic precession can help in the hammerhead but it really screws up the loops, which is good for practicing recovery.

Have fun.

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2019, 11:27:10 AM »

I’ve found that carrying a little nose down trim helps with the wallowing that you describe.  It can also help with more stable piper tracking during gun shots.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2019, 01:51:46 PM »
Its definetly his joystick....try adding some deadband if its to sensitive...or it's possibly the stick is spiking and time to get a new stick.....or try calibrating....
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2019, 02:34:00 PM »
Its definetly his joystick....try adding some deadband if its to sensitive...or it's possibly the stick is spiking and time to get a new stick.....or try calibrating....

Why would that only affect some WW1 planes?  I believe he's just seeing the inherent instability of the Camel and Dr1, based on what the OP posted.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 02:39:48 PM »
No one knows what shilo is talking about unless he answers all of this.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2019, 06:08:25 PM »
I am an old man. The SPAD VII and XIII were a different plane. The Sopwith camel was what I meant. Thanks for the correction.  :old:

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2019, 06:18:16 PM »
I am an old man. The SPAD VII and XIII were a different plane. The Sopwith camel was what I meant. Thanks for the correction.  :old:

They didn't have trim, but I cheat and toggle my combat trim on/off (macro) every once in a while to smooth it out. I can aim much better that way without over correcting all the time.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2019, 07:50:02 PM »

You're welcome.  :salute