Author Topic: The slow demise of an old respected Aces High Squad. One of the first in game.  (Read 761 times)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Been a very long time since we all were together.  Early 2000, late 99.  We had usually a waiting list to get into the squad.  We decided against forming two of them.  Vati66, EDO, 1colo, myself, Shamus, toggle, MrWulf, Rob56, trell, Dace, and on and on.  At this time there are only 8 listed in the squad and only 3 are active as opposed full roster numbers in those days.  We all still love the tools we were given to play with, and we loved the game and especially the camaraderie we had.  Long ago Ripsnort who also was a member, took it upon himself in the early stages of the game to interview Squad C0s'. Vati was our CO then, he was interviewed, he was the first to inform us about Aces High.  We were in Air Warrior at the time and many of us were not only team mates but combatants.  We all downloaded the game, and all we could say was WoW!

What a major advancement Aces High was to Air Warrior in many aspects.  Flight modeling, graphics, terrains and skies.  Many more tools to play with, and it was somewhat of a challenge to master.  The Challenge of getting better was accepted by all.  We did get better and as a squad we were one of the best in early Aces High.  I don't recall any gvs available at the time.  It probably wouldn't matter if there were, we were in it for combat in the air.  And there was tons of combat then!  It was everywhere.  No one flying 30K in a fighter.  You may see a bomber 15 to 17K but that was about it.  It was not uncommon to log into the arena and see 200, 300, or more locked in virtual combat in the air on a week night. Usually around 200 on a week night in the US.  It's peek of popularity as far as I can tell was in 2008.  When I log into our old squadron forums it gives an account of how many are/were on the BBS total.  Now on a good day there may be 40 on the BBS.  In 2008 the highest number on the BBS was 351.  There used to be 200 or better on the forums regularly back at that time on weeknights.

We old squad-mates have left the game for various reasons.  Gettin'n old, bored for playing a long time, and have other things to do.  We still check into the squadron forum to check up.  I'm hoping the three guys active in the Flying Circus keep it going. but with numbers falling it will be very difficult.  From consistently full rosters until now with only 8 in the roster and 3 active it concerns me the game is losing interest to enough people to keep it going.

Good luck, and keep flying.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:44:34 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
Whats up Hajo... :salute
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member

All things are impermanent.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Whats up Hajo... :salute

Rud3!!  Hope you are well!   :salute
« Last Edit: June 17, 2019, 05:45:23 PM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Hajo owes me £450 for those photographs of Skuzzy in the shower :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
Ripsnort dragged me over to the AH beta in ... 98... or 99? from Warbirds. I miss the old tiffie FM :)

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Hajo owes me £450 for those photographs of Skuzzy in the shower :old:

Zack      :P   to late now.  I've moved to Nairobi.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
Some other older members of the Flying Circus I can remember.  Pipz, Max still active somewhat but in another squad. OBX long time member still active, Coach, Chauncy, Reddg, Apar for awhile geez.  Hand still active older member,  Corrs, Bodhi, Ripsnort on and off.  Dam we went through a lot of good players.  We went through a lot of Beer on Squad Night too!  Jenks, TheMaj goes on and on.  Bulzeye.............great times.........  in a great game.  Time marches on.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 05:37:09 AM by Hajo »
- The Flying Circus -

Offline 8thJinx

• Silver Member
"You can't wear white suits all your life.  This bubble will burst.  Nothing ever lasts forever." - Barry Gibb, of the Bee Gees

B-24H Liberator SN 294837-T, "The Jinx", 848th BS, 490th BG, 8th AF, RAF Station Eye, delivered 1943.  Piloted by Lt. Thomas Keyes, named by by his crew, and adorned with bad luck symbols, the aircraft survived the entire war.