Author Topic: planes being main gunned  (Read 4624 times)

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
planes being main gunned
« on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:38 AM »
I don't know how many, if any, planes were main gunned by tanks in WW2. In this game it's epidemic. I understand the way one can aim at a plane the same way you can aim at a tank or building in this game, but it's hard to believe the main gun could follow a plane flying two hundred mph plus in real life. Just complaining I guess. :bhead

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
Re: planes being main gunned
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2019, 12:03:57 PM »
Can be avoided by not coming as a low fat easy target, even better when they attack from the direction I’m slopped up.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2019, 12:04:37 PM »
I don't know how many, if any, planes were main gunned by tanks in WW2. In this game it's epidemic. I understand the way one can aim at a plane the same way you can aim at a tank or building in this game, but it's hard to believe the main gun could follow a plane flying two hundred mph plus in real life. Just complaining I guess. :bhead

Why?  It's no different than hitting any other moving target.  If the plane is moving predictably there's no reason you can't lead it.  Assuming the traverse rates are accurate, there'd be nothing stopping you from doing the same thing IRL.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2019, 12:23:12 PM »
In the game all you say is true. I am saying that could not be done in reality, except on a fluke shot.

Offline jimbo71

• Nickel Member
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2019, 12:26:45 PM »
At least they modeled the tanks as they were in WWII with the big red holographic I.D. and distance proximity glowing directly overhead
xxxJCxxx

Skill, Altitude, Airspeed: You need 2 out of 3...

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »
In the game all you say is true. I am saying that could not be done in reality, except on a fluke shot.

Again, why?  Assuming you're sitting on a mountain of ammunition and your life doesn't depend on not wasting it, what prevents you from doing it?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2019, 12:53:33 PM »
the first person ever to shoot down a plane with a tank was hitech.  it was during testing. they went over the data carefully and found no errors.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2019, 01:58:18 PM »
At least they modeled the tanks as they were in WWII with the big red holographic I.D. and distance proximity glowing directly overhead
Ha! Most of the time a pilot wont see a GV icon until it's too late. That glowing sign directly overhead the GV is only visible while directly overhead. It's less than useful.
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 02:31:39 PM »
Ive done it twice. First was a fluke. Second he was machine gunning me . Id set the rear view to where he was coming from so that when he went past he was in the sight of the main. As They all start to climb after their pass and you shoot just a little above them. Gotchya.

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2019, 03:00:44 PM »
Ha! Most of the time a pilot wont see a GV icon until it's too late. That glowing sign directly overhead the GV is only visible while directly overhead. It's less than useful.

Then that pilot needs glasses. I usually see GVs well before I see their icon (and can ID them visually).

I really enjoy the air to ground game, you'll often see me flying close air with friendly GVers spotting and sometimes taking tanks out with the Yak 9T. A 37mm top down turret shot can take out everything up to and including a Tiger.

And a lot of the time the icons don't show for me. When you use VR they don't handle inverted pilots very well :)
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 03:03:56 PM by Vulcan »

Offline ONTOS

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2019, 03:39:14 PM »
Even if you are setting on million rounds, you can shoot all you want, but the chance of hitting an airplane is very, very slim, in real life. (very slim).

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2019, 03:49:29 PM »
Even if you are setting on million rounds, you can shoot all you want, but the chance of hitting an airplane is very, very slim, in real life. (very slim).

Ok...  So would the chance still be slim if you had a jeep driving straight toward the tank?

If the plane's coming straight on within traversal range on the tank, what is the difference?

Wiley.

JG11

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2019, 04:02:55 PM »
in real life 12 troops wouldn't capture a base either.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline mikeWe9a

• Copper Member
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2019, 04:06:30 PM »
Ok...  So would the chance still be slim if you had a jeep driving straight toward the tank?

If the plane's coming straight on within traversal range on the tank, what is the difference?

Wiley.

A short engagement time and a VERY rapidly changing range, along with a (likely) non-horizontal plane which will change the relationship between range and "bullet drop."

Mike

Offline CAV

• Nickel Member
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2019, 04:22:20 PM »
Why?  It's no different than hitting any other moving target

I did 24+ years in Armored unit in the Army, once every few years we would go fire at Target drones......... never seen one shot down by a tank.

And not talking one tank vs a drone... the whole "FN" company 12 tanks... main guns... 7.62 .. .50 cal 5.56 M16's ... rocks.   Never seen one knocked from the sky.

But then again we have laser-guided 5-inch guns on naval ships....... before proximity fuses you needed 2500 rounds to get a hit on a moving plane... after proximity fuses you needed to fire 500 rounds to get a hit on a plane in WW2.

CAV

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG301