Author Topic: Gear and flaps not working  (Read 774 times)

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
Gear and flaps not working
« on: July 04, 2019, 12:38:59 AM »
So, I use the Oculus Rift with Touch controllers. My landing gear and flaps quit working mid flight.

I have remapped the buttons several times and it keeps happening. When I take off, I can raise my landing gear and then thats it. The raise/lower gear stops working preventing me from landing my plane. I cant get any points because I keep crashing with no gear. Soooooo frustrating. The flaps are a hit or miss on working..
Devs!!! Please help

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
Re: Gear and flaps not working
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2019, 01:25:09 AM »
Starting with the simplest.
I don't know if you are aware, and it may not be the problem, but there are 4 controller modes available in AH. Four separate controller mode settings, and some are automatically selected unless you change to a manual selection such as numeric keypad ,*,-,+, to select them. Fighter mode is one, then GV mode is two. There may be others but I use manual selection.
Otherwise, copy mode one to two through four after you have your controllers set for mode one. No mater which mode is auto-selected, they will all be the same.

Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2019, 03:06:14 AM »
So, I use the Oculus Rift with Touch controllers. My landing gear and flaps quit working mid flight.

I have remapped the buttons several times and it keeps happening. When I take off, I can raise my landing gear and then thats it. The raise/lower gear stops working preventing me from landing my plane. I cant get any points because I keep crashing with no gear. Soooooo frustrating. The flaps are a hit or miss on working..
Devs!!! Please help
Crash without gear?  :headscratch: Naw...thats a Combat Landing :devil As long as you are on the runway or in a hanger...still FULL PERKS for sortie. You have been at this longer than I have...but just in case....Gear deployment is speed sensitive. Flaps...same deal. I know...Gee thanks Captain Obvious...this is a hard issue to wrap your head around and all I could think of for possible cause  :rolleyes:
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2019, 07:15:49 AM »

Devs!!! Please help

Flaps and gear are speed limited, each aircraft has it's own limits on the speed the flaps and gear can be deployed, it's likely you're just going too fast.

If you land on the runway wheels up you still get full points in the game.

If you need help slowing down just fly a high G flat circle and the induced drag will slow you to landing speed.

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:15 AM »
Most planes gear up landings work at UNDER 150 MPH.

Gear will not drop in most planes over 180 MPH.... F4u will drop at just under 250 MPH and some use it to slow the plane real quick to try and force an over shoot.

Flaps are all over the place. Spits are are at fairly low speeds, their flaps are called "landing" flaps. I dont remember any place with a list showing at what speed flaps can be deployed for each plane, so its going to be a trial by experience for you.

I can see you fly a bunch of different planes, and many of the "hanger queens" are on your list. You'll find you will settle into a few "favorites" as you continue on in the game and dropping flaps will become instinct in those planes. Its been a long time since I've flown many of the planes on your list so I dont remember at what speeds they drop or I would add that in here.

Experiment on climb out. Eventually you'll learn the "clues" for when a plane NEEDS some flap more than be watching for a "speed" marker to drop them.

Their are lots of little things like this that are not written down any where. If you find something odd, or frustrating , bring it to the boards and ask about it. Many are willing to help. Good Luck.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2019, 11:23:53 AM »
As stated by others, it's more likely either you left your gear down on take-off and broke it once at speed, or tried to lower it before slowing down.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2019, 11:51:50 PM »
@ Esyscor, Thanks for the tip about the controller modes.. got them all set up now.. Huge thanks!!  BTW, Im in Antelope neighbor!! Lets get some coffee sometime so I can picky your brain with the million questions I have...

@fugitive, Thanks brother.. I did figure out the speed limit for flaps and gear... What are "hanger queens"?? LOL.. The planes currently in my list are planes that I have kicked bellybutton with in other games over the past 20yrs.. Im learning very quickly that I must delete my brain data storage files on dogfighting and pay attention to the aces around me because The super badass I thought I was in digital flight combat turns out I am not..
I still dominate in ace combat, il2, warwings, but to be honest, now that Ive discovered Aces High and the exemplary community, I desire to play no other.
At the end of the day, I'm just a salty old Marine, also an Aries, been called a blacksheep since i was a stubborn teen. With that in mind I'm sure I'll end up in the F4U when my skill warrants and I can do proud by Pappy...

See you in the skies Gents!   

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2019, 01:29:34 AM »
PM sent.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
LOL, sorry, hanger queens are the ones most players leave in the hanger to rule over that area as they seldom rule in the skies. The planes you pick are the ones that are a bit tougher to get kills in. A majority of players these days avoid them for the planes that are much easier to get kls in, spit16, yak3, La7 and so on.

Fly what makes the game fun for you.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2019, 02:00:03 AM »
. The planes you pick are the ones that are a bit tougher to get kills in. A majority of players these days avoid them for the planes that are much easier to get kls in, spit16, yak3, La7 and so on.

Thats interesting that you mention that.. I've typically always been the strange duck in the group.. taking the less traveled road. My call sign for example 'SAAM I AM" comes from my years of dominating the Ace Combat series where I used the slowest plane with the hardest weapons to get kills in, the SAAM (semi-active air to air missles) in a FA18 Razgriz.... I'm really starting to like the P39, P40, I16, Typhoon and P38L.. Now if I can just learn how to NOT get shot down.. LOL.. Fly, Die, Repeat is not a familiar modus for me normally. Lol
High note.. I did down a 190 with a rocket yesterday!

Also I am starting to learn about the mission objectives, specific locations ect... thanks to the excellent communications on the battlefield so major thanks everyone..

So far, the worst "are you diddlying kidding me" moments are, flying for 20 minutes to get to 15 or 20,000ft while chasing some bombers only to get instantly downed right at the 800ft away mark.. hahaha..

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2019, 07:18:55 AM »
When you chase a bomber you fly into their fire while they fly away from yours. That gives them longer range with the same gun.  Generally it's best to dive on bombers from an angle with enough speed to pull up out of range or if at the same altitude attack head on.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2019, 02:36:22 PM »
When you chase a bomber you fly into their fire while they fly away from yours. That gives them longer range with the same gun.  Generally it's best to dive on bombers from an angle with enough speed to pull up out of range or if at the same altitude attack head on.

My eyes have just been opened to the common sense physics of what you said there!! Thanks!!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2019, 03:31:55 PM »
You're welcome.  Here's a short read introducing less obvious but more important concepts. 

http://trainers.hitechcreations.com/89-tactics/advanced-flight-concepts/1076-turning

Let me know if you have any questions. The site is a supplement to training not a replacement.