Author Topic: The Second World War by Anthony Beevor  (Read 648 times)

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
The Second World War by Anthony Beevor
« on: August 10, 2019, 10:20:05 AM »
I listen to audiobooks in the evening as I'm going to bed.  Having finished Eugene Sledge's "With the Old Breed", I was looking for another gritty, ultra-realistic book.  Boy did I find one.  Anthony Beevor's "The Second World War" seems like it would be a dull overview of large unit engagements and other such academia.  But it is not.  It is an extremely gritty first-person look at the actual war on all fronts.  Starting with the Japanese invasion of China and ending with the dropping of the atomic bombs, it explores the war through first person narratives.  It doesn't pull any punches either.  You learn about the Japanese bayonetting and shooting thousands of surrendered Chinese forces, how common German Wehrmacht soldiers volunteered to take over the executions of Jews, and how Soviet troops who were severely wounded (pre-1943) had little chance of surviving.

I've been listening to it on YouTube.  It's as good or even better than Dan Carlin's "Blueprint for Armageddon"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbbOACj2Tio

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: The Second World War by Anthony Beevor
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 11:31:15 AM »

Offline dmdchief

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2019, 11:37:40 AM »
THANKS just what I have looking for as my eyesight won't permit me to read anymore.
salute
HAVE THE COURAGE TO STEP UP AND LEAD AND THE PUBLIC WILL FOLLOW

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2019, 11:45:35 AM »
Looks good.  And good timing.  I was needing to pick my next Audible books.

I got that one and also his The Fall of Berlin 1945.

:cheers: :salute
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2019, 02:35:29 PM »
This was one of the clumsiest pieces of scholarship I had ever read. It just reads like a compilation of cut and paste bits. It was entertaining in some areas, but it really had me banging my head against the wall. I, personally, would not recommend it.
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Chris79

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2019, 02:58:02 PM »
“The last hundred days” and “The rising Sun” by John.

Chuikov

Offline davidpt40

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2019, 05:07:42 PM »
This was one of the clumsiest pieces of scholarship I had ever read. It just reads like a compilation of cut and paste bits. It was entertaining in some areas, but it really had me banging my head against the wall. I, personally, would not recommend it.

Do you think it was because he focused on the first person narrative to support the points he described?  There may be some gaps in the records, especially with the more gruesome stuff.

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2019, 06:51:46 PM »
Do you think it was because he focused on the first person narrative to support the points he described?  There may be some gaps in the records, especially with the more gruesome stuff.

Basically, yes. He tried to unfold a battle through first hand accounts, rather than the opposite. When I write about a battle, I simply write about the battle and what happened. I prove that it happened in a certain way or add flair with first hand accounts or even secondary accounts. This was a clumsy work because he tried to tell a story via the first hand accounts rather than working them in smoothly. That is not to say that it was not interesting or entertaining, it just lacked fluidity. I really appreciate what he tried to do, but it just turned out to be a real pile, in my opinion.

Here is an example:

Just after the onset of the Battle of Issus, Alexander was faced with a perplexing problem. The river Issus was meandering, albeit shallow, and the slopes were very slick due to the week of rain that preceded the battle. The initial brilliant move of relocating his phalanxes after Darius made his first move was soon transformed into a blunder. The river meandered in such a way that it disallowed his infantry (notably the hypaspists from the Odrysian) to arrive at and cross the river at the same time. This created gaps, some large some small, throughout his moving line of infantry. Arrian claims the following: "Darius' Greek mercenaries attacked precisely at the point in the line where the gap was widest. There was a violent struggle. Darius' Greeks fought to thrust the Macedonians back into the water [...], while the Macedonians, in their turn [...], were determined not to forfeit the proud title of invincible, hitherto universally bestowed upon them. The fight was further embittered by the old racial rivalry of Greek and Macedonian. It was in this phase of the battle that Ptolemy, son of Seleucus, and about 121 Macedonians of distinction met a soldier's death."[Arrian, Anabasis, 2.10.5-7.]

C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com