Author Topic: Your thoughts on this system................  (Read 770 times)

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
Your thoughts on this system................
« on: July 23, 2019, 11:24:20 AM »

Gone so much I don't have a lot of time to research things like I did when I built my last system (that was in 2007, still going strong except for a video card upgrade), so I have been looking at either store bought systems or even used ones for a decent price.  This one popped up yesterday...............

Processor- AMD Ryzen 7 2700X Processor with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - YD270XBGAFBOX

Graphics Card- EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 Black GAMING, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans Graphics Card 08G-P4-1071-KR

Motherboard- ASUS Prime X470-Pro AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard

Ram- Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 Desktop Memory Kit - Black (CMK16GX4M2B3000C15)

Storage- Kingston 240GB A400 SSD 2.5'' SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/240G Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5” SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-76E500B/AM)

Power Supply- EVGA Supernova 750 G3, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, Eco Mode with New HDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Compact 150mm Size, Power Supply 220-G3-0750-X1

Case- NZXT H500 – Compact ATX Mid-Tower Case – Tempered Glass Panel – All-Steel Construction – Enhanced Cable Management System – Water-Cooling Ready - White Less

He is asking $1450, but said the price is negotiable...........says he built it 4 months ago.
I offered $1200, figuring with the prices of graphics cards, I'm pretty much getting the video card I want, or close to it, and the rest of the stuff just comes with it.

I think down the road, I can move to a different CPU and faster memory.  This might get me where I want to be, a gaming only system that I can run max settings in AH3 on and perhaps explore VR at some point.

Feedback, anyone?

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
Re: Your thoughts on this system................
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
That looks like a solid heavy gamer to me. The only thing that makes me think is why the guy is selling it after only a few months. If he's that kind of a guy, building and selling to allow for building a new one, it's OK. If his situation rapidly changed due to divorce, unemployment or something like that, it's OK. But if he's found out some issues - unknown incompatibility issues or similar - with that build...
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 12:14:17 PM »

Just got off the phone with him, he has always wanted a gaming laptop, so he is selling this to finance purchasing one.
He's trying to sell the gaming monitor also (Samsung CFG73 Series 27” QLED Quantum Dot Curved Gaming Monitor (LC27FG73FQNXZA)
1800R Curvature, 1ms MPRT response time, 144hz refresh rate) with the system.
I've never invested too heavily in monitors, so I don't know what benefit I might see if I buy the monitor also.
I know my current monitor is limited to 60Hz refresh rate, so I don't see the sky high frame rates everyone else does.
He was asking $275 for the monitor, said he would sell the monitor for $200 if I want it today.
That part, the monitor, I am not at all sure about.
If I buy this system, it will used for Aces High, and nothing else.  Quite an investment when I am gone for a month, home 2 weeks, then gone again................

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2019, 12:40:55 PM »
That's not bad for the monitor and if you don't like it you can always sell it forward.

My experience with higher refresh rates than 60 Hz date from the days of CRT, where 75 Hz was connected with the optimal resolution. "Everyone" can't see the high frame rates, only those few who can afford the high end gear. Anyhow, a faster monitor would allow you to see more fluid movements which is not a bad thing in a game where opponents circle at 300 Mph. For what I've heard about the 144 Hz monitors... Think about steering the plane with keystrokes instead of a joystick!
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2019, 12:43:18 PM »

Thanks, Bizman!

Think I will go ahead and get the monitor, too.
Still, looking down the road I want to at least experience AH using VR, just not sure I am willing to give up my HOTAS set up if I am required to do so.  Those weird looking controllers just don't do it for me.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:40 PM »
Several companies building setups like we used to do. You can buy them right off the shelf at a reasonable price.

I recently bought a ibuypower from Bestbuy for a CAD machine at the shop. They use the same "off the shelf" parts we would use building a unit. The machine has been faultless. Runs great and runs our modeling software cleanly.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2019, 12:47:45 PM »
The computer and that monitor for total of $1,400.00 sounds like a good deal...

If the computer components are only a few months old, means everything is still under warranty....possibly maybe even could register the computer components under your name, if he hasn't done so already

Just some thoughts on it

Hope this helps.... That build is capable of doing VR in AH3 with some pretty high settings

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2019, 02:29:11 PM »
It sure does look like a good machine on paper!

If you are worried about any of the parts having problems running AH, I wouldn't worry.

Offline eddiek

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2019, 06:57:45 PM »

So far so good........getting 120 fps with all the details maxed.  Disabled some of the things I found annoying that I had never seen due to the limitations of the previous system.
Now I am relearning my views.  The opening page for the game looks.......weird.....when I open the game up......the P-38 and 109 are not clear, almost smudged.....I will figure that out in time...............

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2019, 10:54:31 PM »
So far so good........getting 120 fps with all the details maxed.  Disabled some of the things I found annoying that I had never seen due to the limitations of the previous system.
Now I am relearning my views.  The opening page for the game looks.......weird.....when I open the game up......the P-38 and 109 are not clear, almost smudged.....I will figure that out in time...............

The opening is not clear... it is meant for background fill.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)