Author Topic: Its been my throttle the whole time!  (Read 973 times)

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
Its been my throttle the whole time!
« on: July 08, 2022, 09:34:12 PM »
Something just hasn't been feeling right for me. Planes always catching me, feeling slow in the climb and on ropes. It seemed like every plane had more than E than me when i was really fast. Well today i decided to calibrate my ole CH throttle with the software. It's probably like 15 years old at this point. While calibrating it, I noticed major Spikes to half way when I pushed it to full throttle. Sometimes at full throttle I'm not even at full throttle. I've probably been having this issue for quite some time. It makes total sense why I couldn't click wep on sometimes only to find out my throttle spiked to half way. Hard to see that in a fight. Wow. Guess I'll be in the market for a new throttle. This explains so much. You'll always be love Aces High no matter how much S"_> I talk.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 11:14:00 PM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline -gg-

• Silver Member
      • IceCreamOnMars
Re: Its been my throttle the whole time!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 01:53:30 AM »
Think of all the fuel you saved!
Icecreamonmars.com. ICOM for short.

Offline Eagler

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 05:49:47 AM »
The TM1600 is the best bang for your buck imo

Eagler
"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG27

Intel Core i7-13700KF | GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS Elite AX | 64GB G.Skill DDR5 | EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti FTW3 | Vive Pro | Warthog stick | TM1600 throttle | VKB Mk.V Rudder Pedals

Offline Tig

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 07:43:24 AM »
Something just hasn't been feeling right for me. Planes always catching me, feeling slow in the climb and on ropes. It seemed like every plane had more than E than me when i was really fast. Well today i decided to calibrate my ole CH throttle with the software. It's probably like 15 years old at this point. While calibrating it, I noticed major Spikes to half way when I pushed it to full throttle. Sometimes at full throttle I'm not even at full throttle. I've probably been having this issue for quite some time. It makes total sense why I couldn't click wep on sometimes only to find out my throttle spiked to half way. Hard to see that in a fight. Wow. Guess I'll be in the market for a new throttle. This explains so much. You'll always be love Aces High no matter how much S"_> I talk.

Hahaha I know what you mean! It's hard to read the instruments in the middle of a fight sometimes! I've gotten so used to Spitfires I can tell if it's at full throttle or not, and if it's WEP with just a quick glance, but fuel is the one I have trouble checking in the middle of a fight!
Just last night I spotted 3 bandits inbound to the field on radar so I went ahead and upped a Spit 16 with only 25% fuel. Long story short, I made them play my game and dragged them down into a tight turning fight, and my virtually weightless Spitfire was able to out turn these stinkin' Yak drivers with ease.

Then I looked at the fuel guage.  :rofl :rofl

It was 1v3 anyway, and I managed to take one down, plus I was never gonna make it back anyway.

Glad to hear ya made a fix!
Turn n' Burn!

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 08:49:55 AM »
Hahaha I know what you mean! It's hard to read the instruments in the middle of a fight sometimes! I've gotten so used to Spitfires I can tell if it's at full throttle or not, and if it's WEP with just a quick glance, but fuel is the one I have trouble checking in the middle of a fight!
Just last night I spotted 3 bandits inbound to the field on radar so I went ahead and upped a Spit 16 with only 25% fuel. Long story short, I made them play my game and dragged them down into a tight turning fight, and my virtually weightless Spitfire was able to out turn these stinkin' Yak drivers with ease.

Then I looked at the fuel guage.  :rofl :rofl

It was 1v3 anyway, and I managed to take one down, plus I was never gonna make it back anyway.

Glad to hear ya made a fix!

Yes it's challenging when in a fight to read your instruments. Over time playing the game, you sorta get a feel for it and you start to remember where things are and how your plane should react. The manifold Guage is not one I normally look at. Something just didn't feel right for me. It seemed that planes I was engaging were much faster and could climb to me in ropes, catch me after diving, ect. I thought I was having trouble reading E, it's much harder to read E in Ah3 than 2. I had no idea that the throttle was spiking to halfway at times when I had it full throttle. That is detrimental in 1v1 fights where E and throttle management is so important. I've always felt my planes to be so much slower than others at times. I've probably been handicapping myself like this for 3 years and not even realize it. I finally broke down and did the CH recalibration software. Wow, is all I can say.

25% in a Spit16 would last you about 7 minutes haha but yes it would certainly fly like a butterfly or a kite flipping direction very easily. That spit16 alone is one of the most lethal planes in the game. The general people who fly spits though always get tangled up in low fights and get picked. That's why overall it doesn't have a strong K/D among other planes but does have one of the highest amount of kills than other planes every month, just behind the P51.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2022, 08:52:43 AM by DmonSlyr »
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2022, 10:12:36 AM »
Just replace the potentiometer it's easy and cheaper than a new throttle.  Assuming nothing else is wrong with it. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ch-products/REPPOT604/9490875?s=N4IgTCBcDaIE4FMAOSD2AXAbABgCwgF0BfIA
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2022, 04:37:39 PM »
Just replace the potentiometer it's easy and cheaper than a new throttle.  Assuming nothing else is wrong with it. 

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/ch-products/REPPOT604/9490875?s=N4IgTCBcDaIE4FMAOSD2AXAbABgCwgF0BfIA

Do you know where you can get the hat switch on the CH fighter stick?
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2022, 08:10:40 PM »

The hat switch is made up of 4 switches. I replaced a couple of mine (pulled them out of an analog CH stick I had saved) before I switched to a warthog.

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/nkk-switches/HP0215AFKP4/2104187

Just double check the physical size before you order them, that link may not be the exact one.

Offline TheBug

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2022, 07:24:26 AM »

I'm sure Digikey sells them.  The best thing would be to email CH Products and ask them for the correct part number.  That is what I did when I replaced the potentiometer on my Pro Throttle.  CH no longer sells the parts but they can give you the link on the Digikey website for the correct switch/parts you need.  :salute

https://www.chproducts.com/13-28505-Contact-Us.php.html
“It's a big ocean, you don't have to find the enemy if you don't want to."
  -Richard O'Kane

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2022, 10:30:38 AM »
I appreciate the advise. Will have to see though. It's a really old throttle anyway, I've had it for 7 years, and it was used before me. probably best to replace it at this point.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2022, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks Fugi and Bug!

I am not sure if I will be hanging around much longer so I am not buying new controllers for fighting. I have not been flying much and just not feeling it.

My CH gear was fried when the Frebruary freeze busted pipes over my office last year. I was able to get my backup parts sets up and running but they need a few new pieces. The same parts were starting to act up on the "good" set. LOL
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2022, 04:30:00 PM »

Haven't played since my stick's throttle did that.

I could not keep WEP on for more than a few seconds.

The pots on many sticks don't turn the same amount of degrees, physically while some do.