Author Topic: P38 Skins  (Read 921 times)

Offline puller

• Gold Member
P38 Skins
« on: September 06, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »
Greebo...is there any way you can take the shine out of the P38 skins?  They all need attention as the 38 an important plane in game. 

Thanks ahead of time  :salute

And before someone asks...I'm retarded and would be unable to even attempt...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
Re: P38 Skins
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2019, 10:34:39 PM »
I can do it for all of them but then it would attach my name to someone else's work.   If the original creator retains credit I would do all of them in a couple of days. 
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Greebo

• Skinner Team
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 04:23:38 AM »
I'd be reluctant to de-shine the existing skins, like Vraciu I don't think it is right to put my name on what would be 99% another skinner's work. However it is quiet on the new default shape front currently, so I have been thinking of creating a template for one of the existing rides instead. A new template lets me take full advantage of the AH3 lighting effects, shinier metal than painted areas and so on.

From my POV the P-38 has a lot going for it as a skinning subject: It is a fairly popular ride both in the MA and scenarios, no one else is skinning P-38s at present and it has a lot of interesting and well documented schemes including NMF ones. I'd also effectively get three lots of skins for one template as AH's J and L are identical skin-wise and the G just needs some minor revisions. Also all three variants each have at least a dozen open slots for new skins. The drawbacks are that it is a fairly old AH2 shape with relatively low detail as well as some texture banding at the top and bottom of the pod and booms, plus there is always the chance HTC might update the P-38 shape and obsolete the whole project.

If I do decide to skin the P-38s I could also create a "build log" thread, a bit like you get on modelling sites where someone builds a plastic kit over a few weeks. This would give periodic updates on how I do the panel lines, rivets, NMF effects and so on. Would the community be interested in something like that?

Offline FTJR

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2019, 05:42:17 AM »
If I do decide to skin the P-38s I could also create a "build log" thread, a bit like you get on modelling sites where someone builds a plastic kit over a few weeks. This would give periodic updates on how I do the panel lines, rivets, NMF effects and so on. Would the community be interested in something like that?

Always interested in any gems you'd care to share Greebo. Thank you.
Bring the Beaufighter to Aces High
Raw Prawns      

B.O.S.S. "Beaufighter Operator Support Services" 
Storms and Aeroplanes dont mix

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2019, 09:03:18 AM »
Agreed. I've messed around with skinning a bit and would love to see more information on "How its done", as well as the 38 being one of my favorite rides.

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 09:46:25 AM »
I can do it for all of them but then it would attach my name to someone else's work.   If the original creator retains credit I would do all of them in a couple of days.

i thought original skinner does keep credit.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2019, 09:53:53 AM »
i thought original skinner does keep credit.

Nope.   Once adopted it is moved to the name of the person who did the adopting.  :(
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)