Author Topic: This very specific glitch/host control is ruining the game for me  (Read 760 times)

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
This very specific glitch/host control is ruining the game for me
« on: September 22, 2019, 11:49:52 AM »
 So this glitch is specific to me. Here is why. It is specific to oculus rift and more specifically to the touch controllers.
  There is some form of guidance that will lack control of the flight stick or yolk for five seconds from the time you get gold accompanied by a host message " do not move controllers to quickly". I can understand that as a tip for a new player however, in my case I'm not moving the controller to quickly there seems to be a glitch in your tracking software and recognizing the special positioning of my touch controllers because even I am not moving them an inch I might be in a baking turn managing E versus stall alarm when all of a sudden the steering locks up I get that damn message and I either get shut down or crash. What the purpose for taking control or locking the The fleet stick or yolk for five seconds to a company that message is beyond me but disable that please. Or provide me an option to disable it because it's ruining the game for me nine times yesterday that happened to me in several planes and I know it's not me it's not my position of my controllers to my sensors everything set beautifully. But if I happen to be managing that fine line between stalling in interning the plane gets a little jittery but that's no reason to take control and lock it out so please disable it ASAP or tell me how to disable it thanks

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: This very specific glitch/host control is ruining the game for me
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »
Could this possibly be coming from the way Windows is controlling your USB ports

I don't know your setup, but for this game it is extremely recommended to go into your power settings and check the high performance setting, also if you look at the Top of the Technical Support forum, Nevermind click link below

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,71591.0.html

I recommend going through the complete thread

What I was referring to can be found near the top of the thread with a hyperlink "Power management for better performance"....this will show/tell you what needs to be turned on or off etc.....

Windows is default to drop power to USB ports if no signal input is received for a set amount of time(seconds)

Just a thought .... Hope this helps

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 01:05:56 PM »
The warning and locking of the controls is there to stop the "floppy fish" maneuvers, not as a training tip for new players. The idea is to stop a player from yanking the controls around so fast that is a normal plane the Gs would do in a pilot and more than likely damage the plane.

Using my joystick a quick shift from nose up to nose down doesnt set it off, but 4 of those in a row would. You "may" be yanking the controls around to fast and be setting off the software, or there may truly be a glitch.

Knowing how and why it works now, pay attention to when you get the error again and being honest with yourself, did you more the controls radically?

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 06:06:10 AM »
The game reads control deflection and speed on all 3 axis and if it exceeds a limit, the controls are locked for a few seconds. This happens with any type of controller. When it happens to me I'm always surprised by it. Lately it's been happening more, I'm guessing it's habits from helicopter flying in a different sim because the stick movements are different.

You can add damping and deadband but I prefer my controllers to be precise and lag free so the only solution is to not move the controllers too fast. VR controllers are more difficult to use than a conventional stick.

The purpose of this and also the slow speed of rudder response, is because air pressure reduces how quickly you can move your controls when you fly, and too quick movements can create an unnatural appearance.

The control lock affects everybody and so far there is no indication  that it is worse for VR controllers, but given the limited use of VR controllers compared to HOTAS setups it may be something to keep in mind.

I recommend you practice setting off the control lock with each control axis separately then all together to get a feel for what you can get away with.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 08:51:49 AM »
If you're sure you aren't moving the controllers excessively you could film the control lock and send the file to HTC. Remember it's not the amount of one movement, it's total movement and speed of movement as you'll find when you do it on purpose.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »
The warning and locking of the controls is there to stop the "floppy fish" maneuvers, not as a training tip for new players. The idea is to stop a player from yanking the controls around so fast that is a normal plane the Gs would do in a pilot and more than likely damage the plane.

Using my joystick a quick shift from nose up to nose down doesnt set it off, but 4 of those in a row would. You "may" be yanking the controls around to fast and be setting off the software, or there may truly be a glitch.

Knowing how and why it works now, pay attention to when you get the error again and being honest with yourself, did you more the controls radically?

Here is why I feel this issue is specific to me.. I fly in VR (Oculus Rift + touch controllers). Flying the plane for me is controlled with the touch controllers. I dont use any HOTAS setup, or any other flight stick or xbox type controller.
Using the touch controllers, (one in each hand) to fly with is as follows (forgive redundancy if you already know this):
 a.) While in the Vr cockpit, you see your hands, so you reach out to the flight stick or yoke and grab it in your hand and manipulate the vr yoke as if it really were in your hand.
Its not grabbing the stick and then using your thumb on the hat switch to fly around,its literally grab the stick in your hand and fly..
the first few times this happened, I recognized my actions triggered it and so I followed its advice... that is not what is happening  now..
Here is what I think is happening based on my experience last night. Planes  with a yoke are more susceptible, Mossy, B25 ect.. As I turn the yoke say, 5 degrees and hold for a long sweep, the yoke will start bouncing left and right as if there is slack in the wheel like a 78 dodge ramcharger steering.. Im holding steady as a rock but it keeps flickering and then locks up... Its like the tracking cant tell if im making a turn or going straight.

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 01:10:35 PM »
I recommend you practice setting off the control lock with each control axis separately then all together to get a feel for what you can get away with.

Please tell me... where can i find this setting so i can turn it off..

Thanks so much for the guidance and thank you everybody else for the expert wisdom, explanations and advice.. I am blessed to be helped by all of you..

A note on controllers... Ive used the Warthog stick/peddals, the HOTAS, xbox and PS4 controllers not to mention a whole slew of other flight sticks over the past 15 years in AC and IL2 and without question, HOTAS is amazing but there is that element of your brain knowing that "yes, ur in vr, a full 360 immersion, but the brain also knows your hand is on a HOTAS, mounted to a desk or gaming chair. Using your virtual hand to reach out and grab the in plane stick is sooo immersive that after 10 minutes your brain thinks its really holding and flying a plane..   If you have Oculus Rift with touch controllers, but domt use the controllers because you already had a HOTAS, Try using the touch controllers for an entire day...

Again, thanks everybody for the great advice!! 

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 01:36:11 PM »
By "setting off" I mean causing it to happen. 

I tried flying with the Rift controllers when we started with VR. I'd quit playing if I was forced to use them.

As I mentioned above, if you're certain there's a bug, make a short film for Hitech that shows how little you do to cause it to happen.

BTW if you try your HOTAS with VR you may find you gain immersion as you're holding a stick and throttle instead of two game controllers. I have my stick center mounted and my throttle position matches the position in the P-47 (by coincidence) and is pretty close to the rest given pilot anatomy and conventional cockpit design.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 01:42:56 PM by FLS »

Offline SAAMIAM

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 01:44:13 PM »
Ill do that... make a video👍👍👍..
you should give the touch controllers another try.. im sure there have been updates that have made it better than when first rolled out... it caps off the immersion.. 👍... buttttt to each his own tastes makes him himself, unique and unlike others... god bless our natural given individual right for exploration of choice.. 👍

By the way... FLS.. Thank you for the kind welcome and embrace into the Battle for Brittian scenario... I was not much of an asset to the Effort.. but was welcomed as a brother regardless..
If ever I learn to create such an event It will be the Battle for Leyte Gulf, better known as the Turkey Shoot..

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 01:59:11 PM »
You mentioned your PC is minimum spec if I recall correctly, I wonder if that could be an issue with the controllers or if the battery level could be an issue.

In any case film may provide a clue. Don't edit it. Just start a short film, make the control lock happen without excessive control input, then end the film and title it. Attach it to an email to support@hitechcreations.com