Author Topic: Drone Hit With an AIM -9P  (Read 797 times)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
Drone Hit With an AIM -9P
« on: October 01, 2019, 05:18:07 PM »
During my F-4E tour with the 36 Tactical Fighter Squadron (aka The Fantastic Flying Fiends) at Oscan AB, ROK, we deployed to Clark AFB, Philippines for Cope Thunder Exercises.  On one such deployment, we had the opportunity to live fire AIM-9P Sidewinder Missiles at Firebee target drones.  The heat seeking AIM-9P was part of our normal wartime load-out of missiles along with the radar guided AIM-7E Sparrow missile.  The F-4 was designed to carry four of each type for a total of eight which was quite an offensive punch.

So, on live fire day, there was an EXTENSIVE pre brief on all the facets of missile preflight, safety, ROE, safety, range procedures, safety, missile employment envelope, safety, live fire procedure, safety, event recording, safety, RTB in the event of a hung missile, safety, normal rtb, post flight inspection, safety, and debrief requirements.  One of the many briefing items emphasized was to “not sweeten the shot as you would in combat to ensure a kill because we don’t want you to kill the drone.  We want to use it again”.  Every single one of us sat there with the exact same thought as we heard that; “We are flying a fire breathing fighter. We are trained to kill the enemy with said fire breathing fighter and you’re telling us not to kill the enemy drone with a live AIM-9P!  R I G H T!” 

That drone is going to die today!

With the mass briefing complete, we do a flight brief, suit up, step to the jets, preflight, mount up, and bring the J79s to life.  From there, taxi to EOR (end of runway) inspection where the EOR crew chiefs do their normal inspection plus, pull the safety pin from the live AIM-9P that is now all ours.

We then takeoff and depart for the over water live fire range complex. Once there, we check in with GCI (ground controlled intercept) take their vector for an intercept on the Firebee.  My crewed back seater, Hooter, quickly picks up a radar contact slightly offset to the right on our nose. I have selected the Sidewinder on my weapons panel and armed it.  We are ready to breath fire.  We will be looking down at the drone with water as backdrop. As the range to the drone counts down, we are hearing an occasional moan from the missile’s IR (infrared) seeker head as it picks up spurious hot spots in front of us.  About ten miles out, I pick up a visual on the drone.  Hooter is calling out vectors to make the stern conversion so we can stuff this Sidewinder up the drone’s jet engine exhaust, instead of the hot flare pot attached to its right wing tip.  With about 500 knots of airspeed built up, I start a hard turn toward the drone and start getting the characteristic growl of a full on IR heat signature.  At this point the drone is passing about 45 degrees right.  This is the point, with a healthy growl in the headset, they wanted us to launch the missile in order to explore the outer edges of the effective employment envelope. Well, I pulled harder to swing around the circle, and let the Sidewinder go.  I was astonished at how fast and maneuverable it was.  It was more like a lightening bolt as it flew approximately half way to the drone, cranked hard right and went straight to the flare pot on the right wingtip and blew it off along with part of the wing tip.  To this day, I’m sure that when I called “FOX 2” (Heat seeker launched) that the drone ground controller pulled the drone’s jet engine to idle, making it a cooler heat signature than the wingtip flare pot.

LESSON LEARNED: Prior to this live fire, I and most everyone else trained against IR missile shots to go, idle, boards (speed brakes), and hard turn to rotate the exhaust and deny the offending missile a heat source when hearing a Fox 2 call in trading..  Because this missile was so incredibly fast, all of this would be useless as a defense.  The missile would reach its intended target before the reactive actions could take place.  From here on I trained myself and others to maximize visual lookout for the opponent.  If we didn’t see the heater coming off the rail, it was too late to defeat the missile.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
Re: Drone Hit With an AIM -9P
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2019, 06:25:00 PM »
I can't get enough of your posts. I have read many pilot stories and love most of them. But I especially love F-4 Phantoms and the generation of aircraft they served with/against. I was born on and grew up near MacDill AFB and had F-4 Phantoms flying over my head until F-16s replaced them. Many of my friends were air force brats whose parents either flew Phantoms or worked on them. Even now, decades later, some of my co-workers were Phantom Phixers. If I could have anything I wanted, it was to be an F-4 pilot. Keep on posting, because I keep on reading, learning, enjoying, and many times even laughing.

i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline streakeagle

• Silver Member
      • Streak Eagle - Stephen's Website
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2019, 06:34:55 PM »
Will all the great stories you have posted here about your times flying different aircraft, you should consolidate them all as well as any others you have yet to tell into a book, or if there are enough stories, a series of books. Some of the best books I have read in recent history are When Thunder Rolled, Palace Cobra, and Fighter Pilot. It is no small coincidence that two of the three books were written by Ed Rasimus and he was a co-author for Robin Olds' book since he died before he finished it. Your posts read as well as Ed's books (may he RIP). I think many people would enjoy reading your material as well.
i5(4690K) MAXIMUS VII HERO(32 Gb RAM) GTX1080(8 Gb RAM) Win10 Home (64-bit)
OUR MISSION: PROTECT THE FORCE, GET THE PICTURES, ...AND KILL MIGS!

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2019, 07:55:06 PM »
Will all the great stories you have posted here about your times flying different aircraft, you should consolidate them all as well as any others you have yet to tell into a book

What he said.

Hey, it's what retired people are supposed to do.

- oldman

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2019, 09:34:01 PM »
Well thanks, Gents.  Glad you enjoy the reads.  As with most pilots, I find it enjoyable and fun to talk through some of the exciting and “non-normal” events during a half century + of flying adventures. Every time I remember an event and start thinking through it, another one bubbles up from the memory banks.

Last week, I was at Holloman AFB, New Mexico to witness/help move the very last Phantom off the base.  It was prepped and then towed about seven miles down the highway from the base to the Alamogordo Municipal Airport where it will be stored, restored, and painted before being moved downtown and put on display in the city park.  This was a biter sweet legacy event for me since I grew up in Alamogordo and watched Phantoms fly overhead from first grade through high school.  In fact, the first time I saw F-4s was the first day Mom let me walk to first grade by myself the two blocks to school.  During that walk, a flight of four Phantoms buzzed a house in the neighborhood.  As I looked up at the amazing sight, the decision was made to be a USAF Fighter Pilot and fly the F-4.  24 years later, I flew the Phantom for the first time.  It was not uncommon to see them flying all day long with the occasional sonic boom thrown in.  The last USAF F-4s flew in December 2016 at Holloman. So, it was a special event to be involved with and full of fond memories.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 11:05:53 PM by Puma44 »

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 10:09:13 PM »
As I looked up at the amazing sight, the decision was made to be a USAF Fighter Pilot and fly the F-4. 

And how could you know then that you'd be even luckier, and get to fly the 106?

Some guys get all the good breaks.  Glad you were one of them.

- oldman

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 10:15:28 PM »

- oldman
(cough) some of us also get the girls...  :neener:

Great ready Puma! Even for a putz 106 sled driver.  :aok
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2019, 10:19:30 PM »
Puma..... if a book is in your future, sign me up as a pre'order now. Nuff said.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2019, 10:31:50 PM »

- oldman

Thanks Oldman!  The Six was very unexpected icing on the cake, for sure.  And then there was a couple of years in the world famous Lockheed Racer. 

(cough) some of us also get the girls...  :neener:

Great ready Puma! Even for a putz 106 sled driver.  :aok

Yeah, PUTZ pretty much says it all!  :rofl  Very fortunate rides for a guy who pushes on doors marked PULL.

Puma..... if a book is in your future, sign me up as a pre'order now. Nuff said.

Well, OK, if you insist.   :D

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2019, 10:39:12 PM »
I too have enjoyed these posts more than I can say.

:cheers:
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2019, 10:39:34 PM »
If it's written for shuffler it'll need a lot of pictures   :D

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2019, 10:47:03 PM »
 :rofl

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2019, 10:52:57 PM »

DOH!

Well a frozen margarita might be a good adder.

:rofl :aok
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2019, 11:34:03 PM »

Reminds me that Shuffler's book skills are right up with this book I read as a kid...
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2019, 06:00:41 AM »

Reminds me that Shuffler's book skills are right up with this book I read as a kid...
(Image removed from quote.)

Oooo I have a dog.
80th FS "Headhunters"