Author Topic: BREAKING - B-17G bomber crashed near Hartford  (Read 7639 times)

Offline Wolfala

• Platinum Member
Re: BREAKING - B-17G bomber crashed near Hartford
« Reply #105 on: October 18, 2019, 03:17:03 PM »
The only reason I’m saying this is because I’m pretty sure that this is the only high Fidelity model of a B-17 in existence on the planet. And I’m pretty sure but not 100% the Dale and company when they modeled it we’re still using primary source information from the guys we actually flew the diddlying thing. So if anything this is a better representation then anything the NTSB can come up with

the best cure for "wife ack" is to deploy chaff:    $...$$....$....$$$.....$ .....$$$.....$ ....$$

Offline fuzeman

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #106 on: March 27, 2020, 08:45:39 PM »
Update:  The Living History Flight Experience Exemption for the Collings Foundation has been revoked by the FAA.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkxVSnx1Utg
Far too many, if not most, people on this Board post just to say something opposed to posting when they have something to say.

"Masters of the Air" Scenario - JG54

Offline Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #107 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:54 PM »
Update:  The Living History Flight Experience Exemption for the Collings Foundation has been revoked by the FAA.

The report is pretty ugly.  To the extent that this outfit is typical, Busher may have a point.

- oldman

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2020, 12:09:03 PM »
This update had already been posted. Pretty nasty review by the FAA. The foundation has some serious issues.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Mister Fork

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2020, 11:08:06 AM »
This update had already been posted. Pretty nasty review by the FAA. The foundation has some serious issues.
yup.

That aircraft should of never been certified to fly. Engines were a disaster maintenance wise. Probably why it crashed just loosing one engine.
"Games are meant to be fun and fair but fighting a war is neither." - HiTech

Offline Red37

• Zinc Member
« Reply #110 on: April 01, 2020, 01:50:41 PM »
    I'm assuming were talking about B-17 Nine'O'nine I was just walking and crawling in some spots through that aircraft. Colling's came to Las Vegas... well Henderson Executive (KHND) to show off the B-17, B-24, B-25, P-40, and TF-51. In any case I should have paied to fly in her and see the Hoover Dam a little bit of the grand canyon and this nutty town I was born in. Would have been nice to have had my dad's Canon EOS... whatever very expensive camera and take pictures from the view out a B-17G. I do have VERY HIGH quality pictures I took that day of all the planes and a video of TF-51 "Toolose Nuts' starting up, taxi and take off into the blue not to return I waited hours to see it land. However it was not to return (they said it was going to California, I'm assuming Chino cause the canopy developed a crack.)

I get so hurt when we lose these irreplaceable special aircraft especially being in the plane a month or so before the fatal accident. Smelling the smells, running my hand across the skin, just the whole experience that comes from these magnificent pieces of history, American made history gives a true aviator a feeling that nothing else can give and I'm blessed I got to enjoy it while it lasted. Now the family's are going to sue Colling's Foundation to death literally, I went to see the airplanes everytime they came to town, proudly paying for my ticket and picked up a book or some memorable item they had for sale to help the foundation out. This last, and I MEAN LAST time I bought a Squadron Signal P-51 book for my model making.

I'm happy that we can discuss the accident here and I agree the tip of the prop doesn't feather and give way. It was only after the collision with something the prop was damaged, no way that prop had metal fatigue or any other problem. I saw it up close a month before and all the propellers looked brand new! Only a minute amount of normal paint chipping/debris on the leading edges. I met the men who kept these birds flying, the crew chief (if I'm saying that right) for the liberator said they rarely go above 5000 ft and never put stress on the aircraft or fly in bad weather.

My heart goes out to ALL involved including the plane.
-RED37-
Single Engine Rating, CAD Engineer, Museum quality model maker, Aces High Addict!