Author Topic: Is This Worth Our Tax Dollars?  (Read 1584 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
Is This Worth Our Tax Dollars?
« on: October 02, 2019, 12:41:09 PM »
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: Is This Worth Our Tax Dollars?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2019, 02:05:33 PM »
Those T-38s had some years on them, there my be upgrades needed as far as technology, the T-38 couldn't handle. Not every airframe has the endurance of a B-52.

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
The T-38 really has reached the end of it's useful life.  It's been extended several times with structural fixes, avionics upgrades, and even a new ejection seat.  But there's only so much you can do to an aircraft designed so long ago that it creates negative training and is unable to prepare student pilots to fly modern aircraft.

I won't fall into the trap of pointing fingers, but it's also reasonable to point out that the mishap and fatality rate of the T-38 is not awesome.  That by itself has rarely been enough to justify an entirely new weapon (or training) system in the military but in the case of the T-38, the fact that they knew darn well the airframes were too old contributed to the decision to integrate new ejection seats, a very costly band-aid that let them delay the T-38 replacement program until the F-35 was into production.  Run-on sentences were also a consequence.

The T-38 was a great trainer and it remains one of the most fun to fly aircraft I ever flew, but it's utility as diminished well past the point where replacing it is a reasonable cost once you add up all the factors including mishap rate, maintenance costs, and the cost for additional systems that have to make up transition programs before T-38 graduates can effectively train in modern aircraft.  Every single sortie off-loaded from F-35 upgrade training down to the advanced UPT syllabus probably saves $10,000 or more.  That adds up bigly.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2019, 04:07:19 PM »
Yes.  The T-38 is long in the tooth and relatively inefficient.   

« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 04:13:12 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Toad

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2019, 04:21:03 PM »
What Eagl said.

The Talon served long and well but it's time has passed.

Modern Avionics alone are enough reason to move to a new airframe.
If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2019, 04:36:51 PM »
Looks like fun.   :aok

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2019, 04:41:43 PM »
YES  :salute

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 06:51:22 PM »
Absolutely, I'm getting tired of trying to fix an airframe that should have been retired decades ago.

Try rigging canopy drive and locking mechanisms on old longerons after a canopy has been torn apart and reassembled.

It'll take anywhere between 8 hrs to a few days depending on assembly and measurements after canopy rebuild. heaven forbid the canopy comes back short, to long or to wide... .
10.(Jabo)/JG 26 Nuisance Raids Scenario

Offline DmonSlyr

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 07:13:26 PM »
It's worth it if none of the parts or systems were built/Designed in China, and if none of these coward traitors sells the plans to China.
The Damned(est. 1988)
-=Army of Muppets=-
2014 & 2018 KoTH ToC Champion

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2019, 10:42:28 PM »
Looks like it can also be exported as an inexpensive ground attack aircraft to developing countries.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 03:22:39 PM »
After seeing some of the other options...I'm glad they went with the T-7A. Man some of these are ugly!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/T-X_program
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 03:28:46 PM »
After seeing some of the other options...I'm glad they went with the T-7A. Man some of these are ugly!

I think this one or the T-50 would have been great.  The greatest effect on USAF readiness will end up depending on how robust all the "extras" turn out to be.  Like what kind of training management system comes along, integration with simulator training, etc.  The airframe is important but all the other stuff is super important.  The T-6 came along with an investment in TIMS, and that revolutionized the training management process and probably long-term saved millions every year while improving accountability and reducing student management errors.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 03:45:06 PM »
One of, if not the biggest cost is maintaining these airframes.

If the airframe is not put together in a logical fashion, parts are not available and tech data is written poorly, they will sit on the ground and be pretty much worthless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 04:54:29 PM »

The T-7 isn't exactly a prize.   LOL  :neener:

I think this one or the T-50 would have been great.  The greatest effect on USAF readiness will end up depending on how robust all the "extras" turn out to be.  Like what kind of training management system comes along, integration with simulator training, etc.  The airframe is important but all the other stuff is super important.  The T-6 came along with an investment in TIMS, and that revolutionized the training management process and probably long-term saved millions every year while improving accountability and reducing student management errors.

I thought the same thing.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Ciaphas

• Silver Member
      • DethKlokDave
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2019, 05:30:28 PM »
The T-7 isn't exactly a prize.   LOL  :neener:

I thought the same thing.

Compared to the T-38 it's a porche

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk