Author Topic: Inactive players should be auto disconnected  (Read 5940 times)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
Re: Inactive players should be auto disconnected
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2014, 06:43:58 PM »

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2014, 07:17:28 PM »
I would just like to point out that the people on that country are also unhappy with the ENY they have. I have seen it on channel 200 all the time, every single day. They just haven't brought their displeasure with the ENY system to the BBS yet like the OP has. Having the afk players on a different country doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it to another country. The players on that country will complain about the ENY system and not being able to fly their favorite plane because 50% of their country is afk and they'll just log off. Now that countries numbers have dropped significantly and the ENY problem has moved to another country. Rinse and repeat now.

I think this problem should at least be looked into more. The vast majority of the AH2 community is not happy with it. They just haven't brought it to the BBS yet, but you can see it quite often in the MA on channel 200. Maybe kicking people who are inactive isn't the best solution because it have so many work arounds, but there is a solution out there somewhere that will make everyone happy. We just have to find it.
I'm not clear on how you know that the current system isn't the best one.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 07:27:32 PM by FLS »

Offline Latrobe

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2014, 07:54:18 PM »
I would just like to point out that the people on that country are also unhappy with the ENY they have. I have seen it on channel 200 all the time, every single day. They just haven't brought their displeasure with the ENY system to the BBS yet like the OP has. Having the afk players on a different country doesn't fix the problem, it just moves it to another country. The players on that country will complain about the ENY system and not being able to fly their favorite plane because 50% of their country is afk and they'll just log off. Now that countries numbers have dropped significantly and the ENY problem has moved to another country. Rinse and repeat now.

I think this problem should at least be looked into more. The vast majority of the AH2 community is not happy with it. They just haven't brought it to the BBS yet, but you can see it quite often in the MA on channel 200. Maybe kicking people who are inactive isn't the best solution because it have so many work arounds, but there is a solution out there somewhere that will make everyone happy. We just have to find it.
[/quote
I'm not clear on how you know that the current system isn't the best one.

I don't know if the current system is the best one, but based upon what I've heard from a lot of people in game, the vast majority of the AH2 community is not happy with the way ENY works. Personally I don't care about ENY but that's because all my favorite planes are ENY 30 or more. I do switch sides a lot and fly for all three countries and I hear a lot of complaint about ENY from people on the side I'm flying for in country text, and I also hear complaints about it in channel 200 a lot as well. Especially during the off hours when there's only 50 people online and 30 of them are AFK.

During the off hours for instance, let's say all three sides have 10 players actively playing the game. However, one side has 20 players afk and it drives the ENY for that side up to 20+. Even though that country has 10 active players, same as the other 2 sides, they are being penalized because of the players who are afk. I'm not saying the afk players are at fault, they could have any number or reasons to have gone afk.

The best argument I have heard about going afk is the bomber pilots who go afk for an hour on their climb out. I get that bomber climbouts can be long and boring so you kind of want to just step away from the keyboard and let the autopilot do its thing. This makes a loop hole for if the system is changed to kicking people who are inactive for a set number of minutes by just upping a gv or sitting in a manned gun (I honestly don't know why people would intentionally do this but apparently it is a problem). I don't quite get the argument of downloading skins though. Just have the game auto download them while you're playing the game. I have never had it affect my internet connection while I played and I have one of the worst internet connection on the entire planet!

Planetside 2 which I played a lot has an XP system in place. If you fight in an area that has lots of friendlies and very little enemies then you get less XP than if you were to fight in an area that has lots of enemies and few friendlies. That's a three sided game that seems to do well. They have the usual chatter in text that two sides are ganging up on the other like in AH2, but the fights are always swinging back and forth because the other side wants to win. Just like in Planetside 2 how people will divert and attack the enemy on their 2nd front to push them back, I think AH2 can do the same thing as long as people have a reason to. In Planetside 2 that reward is more XP. In AH2 you are penalized no matter where you go because ENY affects you no matter where you go. So why go fight 20 P-51D and La-7's in your P-40B when you can join the other 20 P-40B's and gang up on the 2 Spit 16's on the other front? Again, that's just one example. There are other possibilities out there. What they might be, I don't know but someone might.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2014, 08:22:01 PM »
Sorry I initially clipped a "]".   :D

I understand the frustration. HiTech's point is that the different suggestions just trade one problem for another.

I don't think afk bomber pilots are an issue since they are in flight. The question is how do the inactive players in the tower affect their side over time. A snapshot is misleading since it includes people momentarily in the tower.  HiTech has the data and believes it evens out. If one side was consistently disadvantaged I think he would notice.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2014, 12:50:22 AM »
I have played on some off hour areas...Korea, Hawaii....never had problem with ENY. More problems with no fights on big maps.....
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2019, 05:48:57 PM »
Yeah, this totally explains cybro and many others hanging out in the tower or in a vehicle/gun waiting for Proxies for hours and hours. I have even logged in the evening to come back on the next morning to find them still there! Recently a guy at field 24 all day.  Plus when you see a field flashing and Theurich is an icon there and you think it’s covered only to find out its afk cybro waiting for Proxies as the field gets taken. By the time you land and head over it’s too late!
Admittedly,  I have had to run off myself and forgotten to log. The rest of the online gaming community can’t possibly have it wrong for inactivity kick!
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2019, 05:49:44 PM »
I'd get booted all the time.
Then be a team player and frigging log, LOL
"Harden The F_ck Up”

Offline diaster

• Copper Member
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2019, 05:51:04 PM »
My understanding of the ENY system is that it's purpose is to get people to change countries, other than the 12 hour rule, what would be another way to encourage side balancing?
And then you have country Loyality and squads etc
"Harden The F_ck Up”