Author Topic: Auto-Film Rollover and Circular Buffer Film Modes  (Read 622 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Auto-Film Rollover and Circular Buffer Film Modes
« on: October 13, 2019, 05:45:15 PM »
I like the auto record feature, but I have found massive films (like from long scenario sorties) problematic to work with.

I would like a film mode with a configurable time limit where you leave the film going and it rolls over a new film every X minutes and names the file a timestamp of when the file was close. Like "2019_10_13_1739.ahf".  I think the file timestamp is when it was started, so now you know the start and end time of each film file. 

A second mode I'd like keeps a circular buffer film of the last X minutes (configurable) and if you hit the hot-key it writes out a file named as described above and starts a new buffer.  If something cool happened you can say wow, capture that last X minutes!  But it just doesn't create a bunch of files like the first option.

$0.02,
CptTrips

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
Re: Auto-Film Rollover and Circular Buffer Film Modes
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 06:05:28 PM »
I'm all to familiar with the continuously film rolling to where I might turn the film on in AvA and then go to the MPA or a special event then end up in the MA and after 4 to 6 hours playing, I realize that I never stopped the film......

It can be a real pita sometimes with some very huge file size and very long films to scan through, especially if their is something you are trying to find to review.....

As for flying/filming scenarios, I use the method of example: Anzio frame 1 film 1, Anzio frame 1 film 2, etc....with each film being the start of a 2nd, 3rd, 4th mission/flight

However, having severe memory loss / dementia is a pita all in itself, heh......

"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 06:10:24 PM »
However, having severe memory loss / dementia is a pita all in itself, heh......

I hear ya.  I'm either getting insanely large films that are a pain to navigate because the viewer doesn't like to skip around randomly, or I realize I missed filming something awesome because I had stopped a film but forgot to restart. 

Given the average age of AH players, this could be a big help to work around our dementia.  :D
Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2019, 06:16:37 PM »
What I do in a scenario is stop the film after anything I want to find easily, then immediately start a new one. That way I always know to look for the event.

The way to deal with poor memory is to take notes. If you remember to take them, and you can find a pen, and remember where you left the notebook.

Offline Ramesis

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2019, 02:20:16 PM »
Ya'll can't just edit your films?
"Would you tell me, please,
 which way I ought to go from here?
 That depends a good deal on where
 you want to get to. Said the cat."
    Charles Lutwidge Dodgson a.k.a. Lewis Carroll

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2019, 02:56:31 PM »

It is exceedingly painful to work with large films.  When was the last time you tried to work with an hour long film?  Just trying to click in different point to play from there essentially requires the player to FFW all the way from the start of the film to where you clicked. And then you realize that's not it, so you have to click somewhere else.  Wash, Rinse , Repeat.
Each time it has to FFW from the start of the film. 

So yeah, keeping films short makes them easier to work with.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2019, 03:16:50 PM »

Not while flying. Then when you want to edit it you want to find the good part quickly. So if you fly a scenario with 12 hours of film, you can stop the film after each notable attack or dogfight and start a new one. Then when you make your clips to combine into a video you know to look at the end of your films for each event you wanted to find. You don't have to bother naming them until later because you have the date and time stamp.

Offline AAIK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2019, 06:24:54 PM »
Why not a gun camera option as well?

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2019, 07:02:06 PM »
Why not a gun camera option as well?

I got no problem with that as another option. 

As long as it is "as well" and not "instead of".  :D

However, the period of time you are actually firing might actually be a very minor percentage of the entire interesting event.  Imagine you had a nail-biting 5 minute dog fight with an ace before you finally got him in your sights for a quick squirt of 20mm.  You only want to have recorded the short 1 sec burst?

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2019, 10:48:45 AM »
I like both options.  I have lost count of the number of scenario/FSO frames I intended to save that got killed by the habitual "Cancel" when the window pops up.  That would work nicely instead of my desire to have the last film saved with the datestamp no matter what.

+1

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11