Author Topic: Pokie: stick/throttle stay bust/ Road placement  (Read 843 times)

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
Pokie: stick/throttle stay bust/ Road placement
« on: December 05, 2001, 03:22:00 PM »
Hey howdy Pokie, 10Bears here S!.

Was hoping somebody else would ask you these questions. Having some problems with the new editor.
Can’t get the stick to work right.. pitch yaw work fine, but throttle moves me backwards when I use button2. I think you shouldn’t have to use any buttons for stick to work.. Here’s what the helpme file says.

Joystick navigation is also provided in the Terrain Editor.  If your joystick has pre-programmed keystrokes for the buttons, then some functions may not work.

The throttle controls the speed you move about within the terrain, and the default travelling direction is forward.  To reverse direction, use Button 2 in combination with the throttle. Button 1 resets the view to look straight down on the terrain.  

Moving the joystick forward or backward changes the pitch of the terrain.  Moving the joystick to the left or right changes the directional view of the terrain.  Rudders move the point of view to the left or right of the screen.

To use joystick navigation, it is important that the joystick and rudders are correctly centered.  Any spikes or a poor deadband setting will make control difficult.  Joystick navigation can be rather tricky and does take some practice, but it is helpful for attaining precise views of the terrain and terrain objects.

Hmm pre-programmed buttons? maybe there’s a thrustmaster config file in my ah directory.. Could that be what they mean by pre-programmed?
How do I un-pre-programme?.  Can use alt-left click to move around but not a good.

Adding Tracks, Roads, and Rivers

Train tracks, roads, and rivers in an Aces High terrain are all laid out in the same way, using the Roads tab in the Editing Tools window.  A terrain is limited to 256 total roads, tracks, and rivers and each road, track, or river is a set of up to 256 segments.  Convoys, trains, and barges are attached to the road, track, or river with the Object Data property value after the road, track, or river is added to the terrain.

When adding tracks, roads, or rivers, first check the Grid checkbox in the Terrain Window Options in the Navigation window.  Having the grid lines displayed will make laying out the road, track, or river much easier, as each segment is the length of a grid square and there may only be one segment in each grid square.  Also, road, track, or river segments and grid lines must be perpendicular, i.e. segments cannot diagonally cross grid lines.  Although it appears that the segments are laid out with sharp right angles, there is actually a curve where the segments are joined.  Long, straight stretches of a road, track, or river should be make with a single segment, rather than multiple segments.  

To add a road, click the Roads tab in the Editing Tools window, and Left Click on the terrain where the road will begin.  Click the Add Road button to lay down the first road segment.  The road will be assigned a number and the name will appear in the Roads drop-down.  Additional segments can then be added either by Right Clicking on the terrain, or by Left Clicking on the terrain and clicking the Add Point button.  To remove a segment, simply Left Click on the segment and click the Delete Point button.  Once the segments are laid out, click on the Properties button to define the road's function within the terrain.  

The Track Type in the properties is where the road can be reassigned to be a train track or river.  Road is the default Track Type.

The Track Name is the name that is assigned when the road is first added to the terrain.  This name may be changed to something more descriptive, limited to 30 characters.

The Resource Type refers to what the convoy, train, or barge carries to resupply or rebuild objects.  Conceptually, the objects are being resupplied but visually they are being rebuilt.  This is done by shortening the downtime by fixed percentages.

The Source can be either a single field (Depot), or a number of station type objects (Station) within a defined radius.  The Source controls whether the convoy, train, or barge can run.  A Depot is a field that can be captured and has a unique field number.  A Station is an object or a group of objects that are country owned, can be destroyed but not captured, and are associated with the track by the station radius.

The Destination is where the convoy, train, or barge attempts to resupply.  The Destination can be either a single field, or a number of objects within a defined radius.

Roads, tracks, and rivers are part of the terrain, and Depots, Stations, fields, etc. are objects that are placed on the terrain after the roads, tracks, and rivers are completed.

The Terrain Editor includes a Depot and a Station Shape Group.  These may be used in a terrain, or new Depot and Station Shape Groups can be created.

This somehow makes more sense this morning. Ahh its a right click to place the road where you want it to go.. OK.. guess I don’t have a question for you ...yet. Placed a small section of road yesterday, had brain fart and decided to exit program without saving.. This morning I see that it saved anyway. Tried to add road#2 and it wants to connect with the first road. Can’t delete the first road...

Going to make a test map today to get a good understanding of the new program before starting work on serious projects. Wish stick/throttle thing wasn’t a problem.
10Bears

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2001, 09:55:00 PM »
Hello 10Bears

2.08 was not working well for me at the beginning. I had downloaded it and installed it and it was acting up.

So I then went into "my computer/ control panel/ add & remove programs" and I removed the editor.

Then I reinstalled 2.08 and it's working 99% better.
The only problem for me is my joystick (Sw3DPro), the editor doesn't like me using button 1 ( trigger ) which helps in getting my top view.

So if I don't use that button I can do everything else.

Pokie  

1) How does your joystick work in the game?  
2) If you go offline, are you able to fly around the terrain when you hit F5?  
Should work just like it does in the editor.
I have no problem with my joystick in the game, even in offline with F5.

3) Try deleting the aceshigh/setting folder (( MAKE BACKUP COPY FIRST   HAHA  ))
Funny thing is when I went in my aceshigh/settings folder and removed jsmap.cfg & stick.cfg thinking it would set my joystick back to default it didn't.  Even restarted computer but the game still remembered all my stick settings ?????

So I made backup copy of the settings folder and then deleted the aceshigh/setting folder and everything went back to default settings.

As for laying down the road, river and track.

This is what I've been doing.

1) I click Roads Tab and right or left click mouse in a grid square that I want the road to start, I see the RED MOUSE CROSS.

2) Then I click Add Road

3) Then I left click/hold and drag the arrow head of the road to were I want.  
If you let go of the left mouse button while dragging thats ok, just left click on it again and hold and continue dragging.

4) Now when I'm ready to change direction I right click/hold mouse button and drag in the direction I want to go.  
Again, if while dragging you let go of the mouse button just reclick road NOW WITH LEFT BUTTON/HOLD and continue dragging.

5) When I have reached the end of my road layout I just click on Properties and selected RIVER, ROAD or TRACK.

YOU CAN ALWAYS GO BACK AND CHANGE THE PROPERTIES OF THE ROAD LATER IF YOU WANT.  You can change the road to a river without having to draw out the road again.

To delete a road I just click Roads tab, click Roads down-arrow and select the Road name and then click Delete Road.

So for me  

LEFT MOUSE BUTTON /HOLD = dragging road arrow to make road longer.

RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON /HOLD = changing direction ( but you must drag it in that direction at least 1 grid square before you can LEFT MOUSE BUTTON /HOLD it.

Pokie

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2001, 10:02:00 PM »
Give pokie a prize is has it down pat.

HiTech

Offline Sky Viper

• Nickel Member
      • http://www.no54squad.com
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2001, 10:51:00 PM »
10Bears,
It sounds to me like you have your buttons confused.

For my CH stick, I can program my buttons to either mimmick the keys of a keyboard, or perform Joystick functions. (The first is what the Help file means by pre-programmed key strokes
The terms used differ slightly in regards to the Joystick functions.
HTC calls them B1, B2, B3, B4... and CH (and most other devices I've used) call them A1, A2, B1, B2, X1, X2...
So, I had to figure out which control on my stick equates to the desired function in HTC language.
So here is how it breaks out  HTCterm=JOYterm
B1=A1  B2=A2  B3=B1

So, with that understood and realizing that the help file lacks B3 information, I've figured out how to navigate in fly around mode.
In HTC terms:  Hold B1 throt up and move stick to move in Overhead view.
Hold B2 and throt up will move you AWAY FROM the terrain in fly around mode.
Hold B3 and throt up will move you TOWARD the terrain in fly around mode.
Personaly, the controls are combersome and sloppy. I use the sliders at the bottom more often than the Fly Around Mode.

Your configs...if your TM stick is programable, then that is what you need to focus on first.

Pokie,
Your advice to delete the settings folder works may not work if (like I did) the program is not installed in the same directory as Aces High, or an older version of the editor.

I installed to a clean directory and created a settings folder because the install did not.
Now, the only thing in that settings folder is curterr.cfg
All of my functions seem to work just fine.

Viper

Offline 10Bears

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2001, 12:27:00 AM »
thx for replies guys
10B

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2001, 03:02:00 PM »
Good job Viper   :)

Was hoping somebody else would ask you these questions. Having some problems with the new editor.
Can’t get the stick to work right.. pitch yaw work fine, but throttle moves me backwards when I use button2. I think you shouldn’t have to use any buttons for stick to work.. Here’s what the helpme file says.  

lol!   My eyes and brain were having a disagreement, so I don't which one made me think that your problem was, "the throttle moving you backwards" lol  :o

Pokie