Author Topic: limit eny when we have low players  (Read 13451 times)

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: limit eny when we have low players
« Reply #45 on: October 19, 2019, 09:18:56 PM »
Yep.   It’s making people log off.     That’s one of its stated purposes.    (And in that regard it is working like a charm.)  :aok

Please show were one of ENY's stated purposes is to cause players to log off.  I've never recalled HiTech saying such a thing.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: October 19, 2019, 09:20:22 PM »
Please show were one of ENY's stated purposes is to cause players to log off.  I've never recalled HiTech saying such a thing.

He did.   I've quoted/linked to the comment multiple times.    I don't really feel like searching for it again.    Maybe someone else will dig it up.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: October 19, 2019, 09:27:19 PM »

Parse away.

https://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,383603.msg5115414.html#msg5115414

Eny was designed to balance game play do to an imbalance a different number of players on each side.

It does this
1. By creating an incentive for players to change sides
2. By giving an advantage to the country with less players.

Has I consequence some players may also log off which also helps the issue of side balance, as compared to pre ENY when players would log off do to side imbalance it made the problem worse.

HiTech
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #48 on: October 19, 2019, 09:34:27 PM »
That is not a stated purpose. That is a consequence in some cases.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #49 on: October 19, 2019, 10:42:59 PM »
Why do you think all we care about is score?  Projecting?  You're a majority of one either way.

The other arenas are emptier than the MA.  So let's try again.

Keep burying your head in the sand.  If you don't look at the bear he can't eat you.

I never said anyone cared about score. I made a conditional statement. 

Do you suppose I suggested inviting someone to go with you because the other arenas are often empty?  :D

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: October 19, 2019, 11:08:28 PM »
That is not a stated purpose. That is a consequence in some cases.

Like I said, parse away.   :rofl

I don't care how you categorize it, it's bad.  And perfectly acceptable apparently.   

You call it a side effect, he calls it a mechanism for balancing.    “[It does this, this, and] ‘also’ [this].”

con·se·quence
/ˈkänsikwəns/

noun
a result or effect of an action or condition.

Action = Result

« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:56:21 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: October 19, 2019, 11:10:54 PM »
I never said anyone cared about score. I made a conditional statement. 

To drill into your comment further, if you’re looking for a fight you’re also out of luck.  Your conditional statement was accusatory—and incomplete.

Do you suppose I suggested inviting someone to go with you because the other arenas are often empty?  :D

Do you suppose nobody has tried that yet?   A hundred times?

If I found inviting someone to an empty arena fun (it's not) then we wouldn't be having this discussion.    It's superfluous, to boot. 

I say this without malice: You are seen here for what you are and it's not helping.  So, you can keep that up if you wish.   Just be sure to turn off the lights before you leave.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2019, 11:57:24 PM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #52 on: October 20, 2019, 12:05:09 AM »

I don't care how you categorize it, it's bad.  And perfectly acceptable apparently.   

You call it a side effect, he calls it a mechanism for balancing.    “[It does this, this, and] ‘also’ [this].”

con·se·quence
/ˈkänsikwəns/

noun

Action = Result

I read Hi-Tech's whole post past just the bold. Seems he said it was the lesser of two evils. He said before eny people logged off because of side imbalance, making it worse.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: October 20, 2019, 12:18:04 AM »
I read Hi-Tech's whole post past just the bold. Seems he said it was the lesser of two evils. He said before eny people logged off because of side imbalance, making it worse.

Back when you had 150 players that may have been so, but we are well within the “region of reversed command” on it now...

Hell, based on this thread alone you’ve eleven people who have posted.   Of the seven discussing ENY directly four of us are saying we log off because of ENY not due to being outnumbered.   

It’s time to tweak this a bit.   Lusche made an interesting comment.   

« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 12:22:56 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #54 on: October 20, 2019, 12:48:31 AM »

con·se·quence
/ˈkänsikwəns/

noun

Action = Result

You need to brush up on your reading comprehension.  In that quote, HiTech never said the stated purpose of ENY was to get people to log off.  He did admit that it was a consequence of ENY that some will log off but clearly the stated purposes were to 1) get players to switch sides and 2) give an advantage to the out numbered side(s). 

There is no need to misrepresent what HiTech said to try and make a point.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #55 on: October 20, 2019, 04:03:44 AM »
As this discussion develops a few things become obvious.

FLS, you are not debating the topic, you are just throwing comments and avoiding actually coming up with either an argument or a rebuttal.  Your input is IMO not really valid.

On to the substance of the discussion.

I understand the history behind ENY.  I am not sure how the data presented itself to determine that enough players were leaving to make ENY the better of 2 evils but for the sake of argument let’s accept it as fact.

Do the conditions that existed then exist now?  Given the reduction in active players is there a case to revisit the question and consider some alternatives?

From an holistic view, I think it would be better to explore how to INCLUDE players rather than EXCLUDE them.

Making a decision to make less people leave is surely not the way to go.  How about we try to find a way to make people stay!

No other game I play takes stuff away.  It makes me earn stuff but never says “yeah mate, I know 10 minutes ago you had that but yeah nah you cannot have that now.  Why not come back later just in case you can have it then?”

For me the obvious #1 easy fix is to have no side switch timer when moving to the low population side.  The stated aim was “to create an incentive for players to change sides”.  Then locking them in to that side is working against the first directive because they often the dynamic changes and they are stuck without a fight.

Of course, that can happen at any time but what is the harm in allowing a free change to the low side?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 04:07:43 AM by FESS67 »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #56 on: October 20, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »
The side switch timer could use some looking at. Where I used to switch sides quite a bit, I rarely even look at numbers now. The timer slowed my switching and then stopped it almost entirely.

I do however understand where there were those few that were abusing it at times.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #57 on: October 20, 2019, 07:46:55 AM »
To drill into your comment further, if you’re looking for a fight you’re also out of luck.  Your conditional statement was accusatory—and incomplete.

Now who's projecting?  I simply said people who don't care about score can fight in another arena.

It's a real stretch to make that an accusation, maybe that was the incomplete part that required your imagination for assistance.

As this discussion develops a few things become obvious.

FLS, you are not debating the topic, you are just throwing comments and avoiding actually coming up with either an argument or a rebuttal.  Your input is IMO not really valid.

And here is Fess deciding that someone who disagrees with him does not have any valid input.  What a curious argument.

So you keep posting the same complaint hoping for a different result.  How's that working for you?

I'm confident of my arguments and rebuttals despite your inability to perceive them.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #58 on: October 20, 2019, 09:08:12 AM »
You need to brush up on your reading comprehension.  In that quote, HiTech never said the stated purpose of ENY was to get people to log off.  He did admit that it was a consequence of ENY that some will log off but clearly the stated purposes were to 1) get players to switch sides and 2) give an advantage to the out numbered side(s). 

There is no need to misrepresent what HiTech said to try and make a point.

I can read quite well, thanks.   

ALSO means in addition to. 

Consequences are results.   

Thus one of the three listed and acceptable RESULTS/CONSEQUENCES of ENY is to cause people to log off.

The PURPOSE is side balancing.    One of the ways this is done, supposedly, is by people logging off.

Expressly and clearly stated.

Eny was designed to balance game play...

It does this
1. By creating an incentive for players to change sides
2. By giving an advantage to the country with less players.

[ 3. ] [ S ]ome players may also log off which also helps the issue of side balance...

HiTech

1 - Encourage side change.
2 - Give advantage.
3 - Cause log off.

The third option seems to be winning out over option one.   It looks like it is time to rebalance rebalancing.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:27:04 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: October 20, 2019, 09:12:57 AM »
Now who's projecting?  I simply said people who don't care about score can fight in another arena.

NO.  They CAN'T.   Unless tangling with B-17s that pull 12 Gs is considered fighting.

It's a real stretch to make that an accusation, maybe that was the incomplete part that required your imagination for assistance.

I'll let Fess' assessment of your commentary speak for me here.

And here is Fess deciding that someone who disagrees with him does not have any valid input.  What a curious argument.

So you keep posting the same complaint hoping for a different result.  How's that working for you?

It's not working one bit, as the numbers continue to show, but he's trying to get the message across any way.  That's better than pretending everything is grand.

I'm confident of my arguments and rebuttals despite your inability to perceive them.

To steal from Reagan, the problem with some people is they know so much that isn't so.  Your arguments are being proven wrong day after day after day.   Numbers don't lie.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2019, 09:27:52 AM by Vraciu »
”KILLER V”
The Damned