Author Topic: Over the Reich - A Scenario for the Civ2 Test of Time Patch Project  (Read 432 times)

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
Hi all,

I don't know if any of you have played the Civilization game series or specifically Civilization II: Test of Time (which, I know, is 20-year-old software at this point), but there have been some pretty interesting developments in its modability in the past few years as a modder "named" TheNamelessOne has created a Test of Time Patch Project (ToTPP) that considerably increased the stuff you can mod, but also replaced the default events language with lua scripting, which has frankly made the world a modder's oyster.

I've spent the past several years working with Prof. Garfield on a scenario for ToTPP called "Over the Reich" (OTR) and I thought I'd share a little bit about it with all of you, as I think you would enjoy it (being turn-based and PBEM, it makes the perfect compliment to any long climb out ;) ).

OTR depicts the Allied combined bomber offensive against Germany.  It is a multi-player ONLY scenario where you pick a friend and square off.  One side controls the Allies, the other the Germans.  It starts on the even of Operation Millennium and runs through the end of the war. 

As the Allies, you will need to choose how to break down the German war industry, factory by factory, by night and day.  You'll earn "points" with each destruction that eventually lets you build up an invasion force and free Europe.

As the Germans, you seek to expand your industrial capabilities while also fending off Allied bombers with your Luftwaffe.  You can earn "Experten" units (Schnaufer, Mayer, Galland, Priller, and Graf even though I know most of Graf's victories were in the east) and race to develop jet fighters, though at the cost of having a larger air force of traditional ones.

If you've played Civ2, this game is completely different.  Prof. Garfield and I currently have "Let's Play" videos that we're sharing for our playtest to try and help people over the learning curve.  Links to those videos, as well as a download for the scenario and the ToTPP can be found in this thread: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/over-the-reich-information.651379/

So please consider dusting off your copy of Civ2 Test of Time or seeing if you can find someone who can help you find one, and check it out.  I think you folks will enjoy it.

Edit - here is a link to the first "Let's Play"  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqhzff3fxd0&t=1217s
« Last Edit: November 02, 2019, 11:26:43 AM by Vudak »
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline perdue3

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Platinum Member
Re: Over the Reich - A Scenario for the Civ2 Test of Time Patch Project
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2019, 11:58:35 AM »
Come on man, Civ 2?
C.O. Kommando Nowotny 

FlyKommando.com

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2019, 12:23:11 PM »
Yes. We've created a turn-based game surrounding the European Air War. I dont know a better vehicle to do this with. It's easier and less time-consuming to play than Gary Grigsby's Bombing the Reich.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2019, 02:30:34 PM »
Yes. We've created a turn-based game surrounding the European Air War. I dont know a better vehicle to do this with. It's easier and less time-consuming to play than Gary Grigsby's Bombing the Reich.

That sounds kind of fun.

Is there a link to that?
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!

Offline Vudak

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2019, 03:16:12 PM »
The Gary Grigsby game is a lot of fun as well. You can find it at Matrix games. It's called "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich." It's a very detailed game and continues to be supported. I think they're putting out a new patch soon.

If you're interested to try out my scenario, the links are in the first post.
Vudak
352nd Fighter Group

Offline Nefarious

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2019, 09:43:42 PM »
The Gary Grigsby game is a lot of fun as well. You can find it at Matrix games. It's called "Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich." It's a very detailed game and continues to be supported. I think they're putting out a new patch soon.

If you're interested to try out my scenario, the links are in the first post.

nvm, I misunderstood. I thought you meant you made European Air War into a strategy game. lol.
There must also be a flyable computer available for Nefarious to do FSO. So he doesn't keep talking about it for eight and a half hours on Friday night!