Author Topic: Museum display nearly ready for opening day  (Read 2601 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Plutonium Member
Re: Museum display nearly ready for opening day
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2019, 11:36:36 AM »
Looks like you put a lot of work into that.

Nicely done.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hgtonyvi

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2019, 12:34:51 PM »
 :aok :aok
CO of the Hell Hounds. In Game: Rud3boi
*Ain't no grave can hold my body down.*

Top German Ace of Pantelleria 1943
            6./JG 27- 109G-2

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
      • http://yankeeairmuseum.org
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2019, 06:11:54 AM »
Soft opening for our SBD display went well. Between 250 and 300 people passed through and many stopped at the PCs and tried their hands at Aces High. Everyone loved the way it looked. There are a few things that I need to correct however and haven't been able to find answers, so I'm coming to the experts.
The first issue is head positioning when using VR. Specifically, it's like your sitting on a stack of phone books when you're in the plane. When in the tower the clipboard is also very low and hard to see. Not sure if this is an Aces High thing or an Oculus thing. If anyone has run into this I would appreciate any advice.
Second thing is, after several takeoffs with auto takeoff enabled, the plane will decide to veer either left or right without touching the joystick. This happens on all of the PC's and restarting the game corrects it, for a while.
Lastly, when coming in for a carrier landing, the ships will sometimes appear to be floating above the horizon. I don't even know where to start with that one.
I do plan on going through each of the machines and making sure AH has the latest update but if anyone has some tips on these issues it would really help me out.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 07:05:32 AM by dBeav »

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2019, 03:40:16 PM »
You can drag the clipboard around in vr just like you would with a desktop. For head position vr,  if you map a button for tracker center, it will move to the default head position when pressed. You can also use f10 to save a head position

Offline turt21

• Nickel Member
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »
Ive had this prblem verring left or right and thought it was some kind of update thing. I never did it before.JS recal helps. Im wondering if the  rudders moving me ?

Offline Pluto

• Nickel Member
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2019, 05:10:56 PM »
You can increase the deadband for the control surfaces in map controllers under the advanced tab

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2019, 07:27:32 PM »
If your getting joystick inputs after several sorties could be a calibration issue...or the boat is turning...you start with the boat going straight and after a few sorties the boat starts turning...you restart and the boat is going straight again...
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2019, 10:40:50 PM »
The default button to recenter the view in VR is the usual look forward hat switch. I would suggest setting all four modes the same.

You can look in you equivalent, VR_chfighterstickusb.jsm file to confirm the settings.

Hat Switch Fwd.
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER
VIEW,TRACKER_CENTER

I believe the VIEW,LOOK_FWD command does the same thing in VR, but I can't confirm that tonight.

Once you have all the settings set the way you want, consider making the files Read Only. Then a simple relaunch of the game will bring up your protected saved settings if a visitor messes with them.

To look at you particular stick, throttle and rudders in in the settings folder. Here's an example for a CH Products joystick:
C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\settings\VR_chfighterstickusb.jsm

Note that all VR controller settings begin with VR_.
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 1stpar3

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2019, 12:06:09 AM »
Just came back from the Palm Springs Air Museum today.  They have eight PC simulators connected up together in their library.  The simulator program was not anywhere near as nice as AHIII, but all eight stations were occupied with museum goers.  Seems like a perfect target audience from all over the world going to waste.
"Combat Simulator 2"? Saw that in 2015! Never even tried it, as I already played that one. They DID have a Spitfire on display, so wasnt gonna squeak :aok
"Life is short,break the rules,forgive quickly,kiss slowly,love truly,laugh uncontrollably,and never regret anything that made you smile."  “The two most important days in your life are the day you are born and the day you find out why.”- Mark Twain

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2019, 06:04:52 AM »
Thanks everyone. Hopefully I'll get a chance this weekend to sit down and tinker with it.

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2019, 02:40:26 AM »
If the AH opening screen isn't aligned check the head height in the VR setup in Oculus. Set it up for the seated position.

As mentioned, mapping tracker center in AH should fix the cockpit view and check if the boat is turning if the problem is CV takeoff.

I haven't seen the carrier floating but in film it sometimes appears out of position.

Offline popeye

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2019, 06:20:30 PM »
Nice work!  Stopped by the museum today (Sunday) around 2pm.  Two of the setups were working (but not the VR).  There weren't many people in the museum at the time, so it was just me on the sim.  Seemed to work ok, but I was with a friend so couldn't spend a lot of time with it.  (Might want to adjust "head positions" to see around cockpit framework when switching views.)  There were references to Aces High on the cheat sheets, but I didn't see instructions for finding the website.  (Maybe the museum doesn't want "commercial advertising?) 

Anyway, it looked great.   :salute

KONG

Where is Major Kong?!?

Offline dBeav

• Copper Member
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2019, 11:23:36 AM »
Thanks for the feedback. At this point the docents crew is in charge of the day to day running of everything so I will pass this along.
Adjusting head positions is definitely on my to do list, just haven't made the time to do it.
I checked with Hitech early on for some advertising material but he doesn't have any. Maybe a little "relive your museum experience by going to hitechcreations" is a good idea.

Offline Easyscor

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2019, 01:29:53 PM »
Save yourself some time. Your head positions are text files in this folder,
C:\Hitech Creations\Aces High III\settings\planes

Copy your whole planes folder into the settings folder (and overwrite) the planes folder on each system. These are text files you can open in Notepad if you're curious. The .hps files are the actual head positions and iirc the .pwl files are the hanger loadouts but don't quote me on that. I don't remember the .cnv files but they are text files also.

If your personal settings aren't the best head positions for each plane, solicit for better sets here on the boards. Some folks spend a great deal of time tweaking their views in each plane for the best possible views.

:cheers:
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 01:31:41 PM by Easyscor »
Easy in-game again.
Since Tour 19 - 2001

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2019, 01:33:32 PM »
Some folks spend a great deal of time tweaking their views in each plane for the best possible views.

:cheers:

You ain't kidding.  I always keep a backup of my settings. 
I'd never want to have to do all my views again...

Coogan  :cheers:
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear