Author Topic: Custom Arena Select Missions Panel Seems a Bit Confusing  (Read 522 times)

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
Custom Arena Select Missions Panel Seems a Bit Confusing
« on: October 31, 2019, 01:35:15 AM »

I debated if this should be a bug or suggestion or wishlist.  It's kinda all.  And if the UI is confusing, that can be considered a bug.

I'll justify it with a buggy behavior.

Go to a Custom Arena, go to "Staged Missions" | "Select Missions" and select a mission from the list.
Now drop down the Axis or Allied Mission combobox.  Note the panel is behind the "Schedule Mis" button.  That looks like a Z-ordering bug.

But now lets talk about the broader issue. You told me once that each side can only ever have one mission right?  Is that still the case?  If so, why is that a combobox if it will ever only have one item.  It would seem confusing that the type of control suggests a choice could be made, where there is never any choice.  I'd suggested a read-only text field.  (Though I could see some advantages to multiple missions per side. But if that isn't in the works, a combobox doesn't make much sense.)

The "Launch" buttons beside those, I'd maybe rename "Launch AI" because it seemed confusing to me and I was thinking I would launch when those were clicked.  But it is only the AI that get launched.

The "Load Mission" and "Download Mission" seem confusing.  Maybe relabel to "Initialize Mission" and "Download for Offline"?

Also, I think you could just remove the "Close Button".  The state it puts you in is not particularly useful when in the "Staged Missions" section.  If you jsut want to go back to the map, you'd just use the "Back" menu item.

$0.02.

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: Custom Arena Select Missions Panel Seems a Bit Confusing
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 08:52:58 AM »
I debated if this should be a bug or suggestion or wishlist.  It's kinda all.  And if the UI is confusing, that can be considered a bug.

I'll justify it with a buggy behavior.

Go to a Custom Arena, go to "Staged Missions" | "Select Missions" and select a mission from the list.
Now drop down the Axis or Allied Mission combobox.  Note the panel is behind the "Schedule Mis" button.  That looks like a Z-ordering bug.

But now lets talk about the broader issue. You told me once that each side can only ever have one mission right?  Is that still the case?  If so, why is that a combobox if it will ever only have one item.  It would seem confusing that the type of control suggests a choice could be made, where there is never any choice.  I'd suggested a read-only text field.  (Though I could see some advantages to multiple missions per side. But if that isn't in the works, a combobox doesn't make much sense.)

The "Launch" buttons beside those, I'd maybe rename "Launch AI" because it seemed confusing to me and I was thinking I would launch when those were clicked.  But it is only the AI that get launched.

The "Load Mission" and "Download Mission" seem confusing.  Maybe relabel to "Initialize Mission" and "Download for Offline"?

Also, I think you could just remove the "Close Button".  The state it puts you in is not particularly useful when in the "Staged Missions" section.  If you jsut want to go back to the map, you'd just use the "Back" menu item.

$0.02.
You can create more then one mission for each side in the mission editor. If only one was created then only one is selectable. But only one per side can be run at a time. I.E. think of it as different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'll Fix the other issues.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 10:00:31 AM »
You can create more then one mission for each side in the mission editor. If only one was created then only one is selectable. But only one per side can be run at a time. I.E. think of it as different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I'll Fix the other issues.

HiTech

Ah, I didn't realize that.  That's good.   

In a big missions with lots of flights, that lets it be sub-divided so you don't scroll through a massive Mother-of-All flights list.

:salute

Toxic, psychotic, self-aggrandizing drama queens simply aren't worth me spending my time on.

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 10:13:41 AM »
Only 1 mission per side can be run at a time.

HiTech

Offline CptTrips

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 10:30:35 AM »
Only 1 mission per side can be run at a time.

HiTech

Doh.  Yeah.  I was just coming back to correct my comment. 

Hadn't had my coffee yet.  ;)