Author Topic: Common Error Made by users:How to avoid it  (Read 640 times)

Offline Sundog

• Silver Member
Common Error Made by users:How to avoid it
« on: August 04, 2001, 08:59:00 PM »
For all of you TE users who have had terrains do ‘weird things’ on ya when building them (i.e.- Control towers and hangers acting like AAA guns, etc.) I have figured out the problem. Now, some of you may have already known this, however, I didn’t until today.
The problem is caused when you make a change to the objects in the terrain (Mainly, when the number of objects changes, i.e. adding new fields, etc.) If you make a change, say, by adding a new field after you already had 30 airfields (Which you had set to the countries you wanted) you MUST click set-up on the clipboard and SAVE field settings (Of course make any changes here if required before you hit SAVE).

The problem in new terrains arises when you add new objects and don’t save the new field settings. Saving the field settings is what creates the ‘name.fld’ and ‘name.pln’ files. If you don’t update those files and just hit the build button in the editor, all you get is a new ‘name.res’ file. Now the new objects don’t know who or what they are, so they just become ‘whatever’ when you go to check out the new terrain in AH.

What I didn’t realize is that hitting the ‘build’ button only creates the a new ‘name.res’ file. Clicking SAVE field settings is the only command which creates the updated ‘name.fld’ and ‘name.pln’ files. I just thought I would re-iterate that since I know of many who have had problems with that and didn’t know why.

Offline pokie

• Silver Member
      • http://s7.eastlink.ca/~tscott
Common Error Made by users:How to avoid it
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 10:51:00 AM »
Good to point that out Sundog.

That's also why ( may seem like overkill ) I shut down the editor to the desktop while saving, then restart the editor then I'll hit the build button.  

P.S  Sometimes require building more than once.

Pokie