Author Topic: New Night  (Read 1932 times)

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
New Night
« on: November 05, 2019, 10:04:35 PM »
Is night darker now? If so, please undo it. Ever since the long Halloween night, that seemed dark, the nights have been seeming darker, people have agreed, more reports of augering. It happened to me, that's why I am here. In WWII, the war really, really slowed down at night and where it didn't stop entirely, completely different air forces assumed the duty. Overall, night ops were very limited in scope and that does not seem like a good idea to me, to slow the game down.

I don't play the game for the night, I don't know anyone who favors the night simulation. Everyone I ask agrees they'd prefer no night. Please restore contrast in the night, or give us radar and P61's, thanks.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
Re: New Night
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2019, 02:38:51 AM »
We have night time again because it was a long time player request to bring the feature back.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 03:25:08 AM »
In a game we live if we crash. We live if we get shot down. We have far more experience. See what you can do with it.

If we make everything not challenging, would that make it boring.....
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline FESS67

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 04:12:23 AM »
In a game we live if we crash. We live if we get shot down. We have far more experience. See what you can do with it.

If we make everything not challenging, would that make it boring.....

ok I believe the sentiment is the night time being too dark is not conducive to players fun and as such if it continues players are more likely to log off.

Personally I think his explanation of why we should not have night is the best I have heard.  Sure, in WW2 night operations happened but they were bomber based and as a percentage of combat action were very minor.  MOST combat was conducted during the daylight hours.  Does AH want to promote combat?  if so then daylight is preferred over night.

IMO the game is struggling to hold on to players and any mechanism that makes people think of not being there is not the right approach.  So far I have never heard one single complaint about the daylight hours.  I have seen many about the night.

Respectfully.

Offline hazmatt

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 05:26:22 AM »
I'm all for more realism, however it seems I'm the exception. Seems that everybody want's always on radar, instant action, no nighttime etc etc. Why not just go play a video game and not a flight sim if that's what you want?

Offline Copprhed

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2019, 07:46:16 AM »
Considering how some players game the game anyway, I think the OP's post is a bit disingenuous. Plenty of players just adjust their gamma, so it's a non-starter, IMHO.
Flight Leader: "Bogeys at 2 o'clock!"
Wingman: "Roger, It's 1:30 now, what do I do 'til then?"

Offline atlau

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2019, 09:32:10 AM »
I've found that night has a more detrimental effect on VR. Granted players with VR are probably the minority. However  VR is the future and imho AH3s highlight feature. Personally I'd like to see nights gone or only for special occasions (Halloween, christmas, scenarios, etc).

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2019, 09:57:23 AM »
I've found that night has a more detrimental effect on VR. Granted players with VR are probably the minority. However  VR is the future and imho AH3s highlight feature. Personally I'd like to see nights gone or only for special occasions (Halloween, christmas, scenarios, etc).

Not sure how it is in VR. If it is bad then that would be the only real reason to not have night.

Everyone seems to think that everyone else thinks like they do. There are folks who like night.... and those who hate it.

Personally my old eyes work too hard at night in AH.... but I used to love it.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline puller

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2019, 11:47:19 AM »

This
"The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
CO   Anti-Horde

Offline +Kilroy+

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2019, 12:50:22 PM »
You know what really kills the game, is resetting a map like Baltic, at the beginning of a frame. It's already bad enough that we have to play through a map that is clearly intended for large scale operations, with current attendance levels, our only consolation being some massive attendance push by ANY country, or the 7 day time out - a hope which gets killed when HiTech resets the map, please advance it to the next one, tyia.

People join, see the same dismal map day after day and imo, they do not seem enthusiastic to see Baltic again, with its newly blackened oceans, "we live if we crash. We live if we get shot down. We have far more experience. See what you can do with it," ya ok, attendance seems unsupportive of that sentiment, but whatever. Keep it up and there won't be any of us left to go see what we can do with other, more rewarding platforms.

If we have night time again because it was a long time player request to bring the feature back, I am a long time player that had been content with the removal of the sun glare, if meant an exchange for an undesirable night and since I don't know any of these long time players that like this night, good luck with it.

Considering how some forum queens never play the game anyway, I think the idea that they would pretend to know anything about gamma, or night, or anything beyond hearsay, is laughable. Probably pays his sub though, huh, there's one vote for the darker night.

Offline Vraciu

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2019, 01:07:02 PM »
Maps are too big.  Side switch timer is too long.   Night is annoying and is easily defeated using gamma.   :old:  Carry on.
”KILLER V”
Charter Member of the P-51 Mustang Skin Mafia
King of the Hill Champ, Tour 219
The Damned
King of the Hill Win Percentage - 100 (1 Win, 0 Losses)

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2019, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm all for more realism, however it seems I'm the exception. Seems that everybody want's always on radar, instant action, no nighttime etc etc. Why not just go play a video game and not a flight sim if that's what you want?

Night would be awesome if there was actual night, as in spotlights, engine flames, in plane radar you need to interpret, and so on.  Going up naked into the dark is not.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2019, 01:53:38 PM »

Airborne Interception Radar: AI Mark VIIIB indicator and receiver in the operating position,
as seen from the observer’s seat of a De Havilland Mosquito NF Mark XIII night fighter. The
vizor has been removed from the screen on the indicator unit (top). The receiver unit (bottom)
was hinged so as to fold back into the space beneath the indicator unit in order to render access
and egress from the cockpit via the door at lower right. Photograph taken at No. 10 Maintenance
Unit, Hullavington, Wiltshire

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2019, 02:00:23 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Airborne Interception Radar: AI Mark VIIIB indicator and receiver in the operating position,
as seen from the observer’s seat of a De Havilland Mosquito NF Mark XIII night fighter. The
vizor has been removed from the screen on the indicator unit (top). The receiver unit (bottom)
was hinged so as to fold back into the space beneath the indicator unit in order to render access
and egress from the cockpit via the door at lower right. Photograph taken at No. 10 Maintenance
Unit, Hullavington, Wiltshire

Very cool.
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2019, 02:33:08 PM »
Recently I had to get a 165hz, 1ms response time gaming monitor. One of the other games I play is not playable at 60hz, 5ms. In AH I now have 165FPS and realized on my 60hz monitor I was not seeing moving objects with any clarity which caused me eye fatigue and eye burn out. Which became a catch 22 going down hill after a few hours of play. I also couldn't see anything during night time becasue of that moving object blurr due to using a 60hz monitor. Now I can see moving objects in the short AH3 night.

Anecdotally, the first night I played AH3 with that monitor, the famous AH3 flippity floppy ACM tactics to kill your aim turned into slow rolls and pitch changes that became easy to time and kill the flipper flopper.

Since AH3 is supported by a modern gaming engine, what is the max refresh rate it supports? About 240hz or so? I don't have vsync turned off for AH3. Playing AH3 no longer strains my eyes now that I'm using a proper gaming monitor. This is probably why I spent most of the last 3 years building terrains instead of playing the game. On my 60 hz monitor I couldn't shoot like I did in AH2 which made any kind of ACM a garbage experience for me. At 60hz, 5ms, I could not see well enough to see the important frames to make ACM instant decisions and seemed to be flying around as gun bait for everyone else. That was part of the reason I started playing other games becasue I thought I could accomplish something. That ended up helping me realize my monitor was to slow to play modern Graphics engine shooting games including AH3.

As I did research for my other games to understand my problem, I ran across several gaming hardware articles explaining that HDTV's cap your PC connection to them at 60hz, then extrapolates the missing frames for you if your HDTV is 120\144\240hz. That makes them a bit sucky for FPS and combat games. AH on a 50in HDTV is just showing you objects larger becasue it's a giant screen in front of your face.

In Planetside 2 I went from an FPS of 12-60 to 75-135 in the game by getting a PC gaming monitor to replace my 25in HDTV. On the day I did that my K\D skyrocketed up from .009 and I can play 8 hours straight with no eye fatigue on the weekends. I'm in my 60's and it's not tired old eyes. It's not getting a clear picture due to low FPS and slow response time.

One benefit, and my new monitor is still 25in, I moved my chair back and away from the monitor becasue I don't have to be up close trying to see things. That is another source of eye fatigue at any age. Being too close to your screen.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.